Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Black n Mild

This is a discussion on Black n Mild within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Let me preface this by saying that i am in no way a fan of black n mild's, they are ...

Newbie in the ocean

Black n Mild

Let me preface this by saying that i am in no way a fan of black n mild's, they are cheap shitty products that are smoked by hood rats who like to feel fancy. A black n mild in my mind is not actually a cigar, nor can it even be a cigarillo. The closest thing i can compare it to, taking into account what it is made up of and how it is made.

Ok so i have been arguing with someone for over a week weather or not a black n mild is in fact a cigar. He says that a black n mild is a cigar because it is branded as a cigar. Unlike him i dont belive evrything on a lable is true fact. I'm sure that we can all agree that there is nothing "premium" about a white owl even though they are called "premium cigars" on the lable.

Basically i see it as this. A cigar has to have 3 things A wrapper a binder and a filler. A cigar is also rolled in a distinct way; it's rolled up tobacco leaves. Now a black n mild does not fit this description. Firstly it is not made up of a binder wrapper and filler. The outer wrapper of a black n mild is not a solid leaf like cigars. Even cheap drug store cigars have a leaf as a wrapper. Unless there are leaves that look like solid cylinders that is not even close to a leaf. It might be made of tobacco but it is not the same as a cigar wrapper. So 1/3 components are not cigar components so far. Next is the binder and filler. I lump them together because a black n mild has none. A black n mild has ground up pipe tobacco ground up and stuffed into the outer part of it. Not only is it not the same type of tobacco but it is also not even in the same form. A cigar is rolled up. Black n mild tobacco looks like more similar to the tobacco found in a cigarette. So not only does it share no components of a cigar, it is constructed completly differently.

So my question is this. How can a black n mild even be called a cigar if it has nothing in common with a cigar other than the fact that they are both tobacco products?

I would like your opinion on this.

(__[$}___Cigars___}}}}} ComicalFerret's Avatar

Re: Black n Mild

Quote Originally Posted by Sully View Post
    Let me preface this by saying that i am in no way a fan of black n mild's, they are cheap shitty products that are smoked by hood rats who like to feel fancy. A black n mild in my mind is not actually a cigar, nor can it even be a cigarillo. The closest thing i can compare it to, taking into account what it is made up of and how it is made.

Ok so i have been arguing with someone for over a week weather or not a black n mild is in fact a cigar. He says that a black n mild is a cigar because it is branded as a cigar. Unlike him i dont belive evrything on a lable is true fact. I'm sure that we can all agree that there is nothing "premium" about a white owl even though they are called "premium cigars" on the lable.

Basically i see it as this. A cigar has to have 3 things A wrapper a binder and a filler. A cigar is also rolled in a distinct way; it's rolled up tobacco leaves. Now a black n mild does not fit this description. Firstly it is not made up of a binder wrapper and filler. The outer wrapper of a black n mild is not a solid leaf like cigars. Even cheap drug store cigars have a leaf as a wrapper. Unless there are leaves that look like solid cylinders that is not even close to a leaf. It might be made of tobacco but it is not the same as a cigar wrapper. So 1/3 components are not cigar components so far. Next is the binder and filler. I lump them together because a black n mild has none. A black n mild has ground up pipe tobacco ground up and stuffed into the outer part of it. Not only is it not the same type of tobacco but it is also not even in the same form. A cigar is rolled up. Black n mild tobacco looks like more similar to the tobacco found in a cigarette. So not only does it share no components of a cigar, it is constructed completly differently.

So my question is this. How can a black n mild even be called a cigar if it has nothing in common with a cigar other than the fact that they are both tobacco products?

I agree with everything. The only reason I see it is the brown wrapper and the bigger size.

Where I do agree on the overall quality, unfortunately I believe it is still a cigar. This would be a similiar argument saying Franzia boxed wine isn't really wine. Where it does not have many qualities of a fine bottle of wine, it is still in fact wine. The tobacco is what is called homogenized. Hers is a link that goes more in depth on the construction process.

JRCigars.com: JR University: Lesson 2: Cigar Characteristics

Click on the machine made link.
    "Sometimes you need to stop and smell the maduros "

Removed per request

Let me preface this by saying that i am in no way a fan of black n mild's, they are cheap shitty products that are smoked by hood rats who like to feel fancy..
    My dad smokes 'em. Hmm. I guess I'll have to get a background check on him. And Welcome to Puff! : )

JGD

Damn hood rats trying to look all nice smoking their "cigars."

Could the OP please give his definition of a "Hood Rat" I don't think we have an authority on the subject here on Puff yet. Sully, care to elaborate considering some of us may have friends or aquaintences with different tastes that may smoke such things?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

IMHO I agree with all of what you said and would like to add that no cigars are meant to be inhaled nor have a wood tip.

To me its more of a fancy cigarette even if it were to be filled with pipe tobacco.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ARCHAIC's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Kevin Keith View Post
    My dad smokes 'em. Hmm. I guess I'll have to get a background check on him. And Welcome to Puff! : )
    Quote Originally Posted by scottw View Post
    Could the OP please give his definition of a "Hood Rat" I don't think we have an authority on the subject here on Puff yet. Sully, care to elaborate considering some of us may have friends or aquaintences with different tastes that may smoke such things?
    I dont care who you are, thats funny right there!!

Full grown Puffer Fish reblyell's Avatar

Black & Milds are cigars the same as Miller High Life is beer, Franzia is wine, Kentucky Gentleman is bourbon, & etc. It's all a matter of knowing what quality is and then educating the ignorant masses. Unfortunately most will never be able to tell quality from crap, but of course that leaves more of the good stuff for those of us who can appreciate it.

Dom

haha, hood rat??? Do u know what you're saying?

hood rat (NOUN): A straight slut from the hood.. the kind or girl that has probablly slept with you and four of your best homies... Usually lazy as hell ..they are known to party a lot.. easy to take advantage of.

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post

hood rat (NOUN): A straight slut from the hood.. the kind or girl that has probablly slept with you and four of your best homies... Usually lazy as hell ..they are known to party a lot.. easy to take advantage of.
    my father-in-law smokes black&mild's..... so you are sayin the has slept with four of my homies?? Pops how could you!?!?

By your definition, an Arturo Fuente curlyhead is not a cigar either.

From wikipedia: A cigar is a tightly rolled bundle of dried and fermented tobacco which is ignited so that its smoke may be drawn into the mouth.

From Princeton: A roll of tobacco for smoking

And let's face it, the word cigarette means small
    cigar.

Sure, the wrapper/binder in a black & mild is not a tobacco leaf. Unlike a cigarette, it is made from tobacco. It is reconstituted sheet tobacco. This same material is present as the binder in many other machine made cigars such as Antonio y Cleopatra and Garcia y Vega.
    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

livin life by the drop ! cigar loco's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dom View Post

A HOOD RAT AND A BLACK AND MILD , OW WHAT A NIGHT!!
    I smoke old stogies I have found, short but not to big around....

Quote Originally Posted by cigar loco View Post
    A HOOD RAT AND A BLACK AND MILD , OW WHAT A NIGHT!!
    allz we needz iz a couple a foties N tha nite be writins itzelf!

a hood rat, buy some definitions is a whore. and my wife smokes Black and Milds....so you calling my wife a whore? i dont bid well to anyone calling my wife a whore....

but in all seriousness (the above is a joke, so long as you really are not calling her a whore) the links below should help the less ghetto memebers of puff....lol.

Urban Dictionary: hood rat

The Online Slang Dictionary | Definition of hood rat

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast