Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

This is a discussion on Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case??? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by Rock31 Not against you or anyone in particular but as a noobie who enjoys Gurkha what is ...

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

Quote Originally Posted by Rock31 View Post
    Not against you or anyone in particular but as a noobie who enjoys Gurkha what is with all the hate towards them? Are they a "so-so" smoke with a high price? Or considered a gimmick cigar?

Would just like to know as I see the hate for them everywhere
    Both reasons actually, there are a lot of better sticks for less money IMHO! That being said i don't hate them and you should always smoke what you like!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by teedles915 View Post
    The hate comes from a few things here are a few....

1. Gurkha tends to require B&M retailer to hold the high MSRP on their cigars, while allowing CI (and a few other online sites) to heavily discount.
    2. Gurkha will change the wrapper on a cigar and call it a totally different, so instead of the cameroon wrapper as a choice on the Class Regent they put the cameroon on and call it a Nepalese Warrior
    3. Gurkha tends to focus a lot their packaging. Many people feel the cigars inside do not match the quality of the packaging, therefore luring in new/unexperienced smokers to be an inferior product.

Now with all that being said. I am a fan of some the Gurkhas. The Nepalese Warrior, Centurian, and Triple Ligero are all on my regular c-bid list. To me it goes back to smoke what you like, and like what you smoke.
    Great post i agree!

“When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Acid 5 circa '03 ftw! The_Smoked_Blade's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    why wouldnt they sell it with a kurkhi?

also - you cant really tell but its not a reputable knife maker - ive never seen a knife like that (i used to be hugely into collecting knives, still sorta am just spending $ on cigars now XD) and it doesnt even look full tang - id email and ask about it - at least find out the steel used - could be pretty much a big clunky butterknife as far as we know.
    All I know about the knife from what I've read, and the one that I've actually held; is that it's a full tang D-2 steel blade, supposedly from S.O.G. and it is quite sharp. As for why they didn't package a Kukhri, well I'll go out on a limb here and guess that since the non-SEALs personel issue cigars the SpecOps, Mr. Hansotia opted for a tactical knife; had there been a set dubbed "Gurkha" alone, then perhaps there'd be a Kukhri. That's my two cents.

I ordered set B, from Corona. Yes I am something of a Gurkha whore, amongst my whoring of Avo, CAO, Partagas, Perdomo... Every cigar brand out there minus Te-Amo and practically every core line of Macanudo excluding Vintages 77-93 & '97 Maduro, Jade, 1968, and the Cru Royale's.
    Cigars are a way of life, and if they didn't exist, what would be the point? Madness borders genius, while the truth resides in the limelight.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Max_Power's Avatar

If the knife is SOG, that's a good knife. I've had a few and always loved them.

hillbilly puffer fish perry7762's Avatar

i dont really like gurkah cigars but i think that travel humidor is really nice lookin

The knife looks like an Extrema Ratio knife to me. An Italian brand that from what I've heard makes some very nice knives.

Here are the specs on the cigars: made in the D.R., 7.2" by 54rg, Connecticut Broadleaf wrapper, a Nicaraguan binder, and a Dominican filler. I'll have to checkout the Extreme Ratio line.
    Cigars are a way of life, and if they didn't exist, what would be the point? Madness borders genius, while the truth resides in the limelight.

Quote Originally Posted by Cyborg13454 View Post
    The knife looks like an Extrema Ratio knife to me. An Italian brand that from what I've heard makes some very nice knives.
    I think you might be right, the set B knife does closely resemble ER's Shrapnel OG with Geo Camo finish. So it might not be a SOG afterall.

There was something vary familiar with the knife design, but I could not figure out why. That is until the post about Extrema Ratio knives. I remembered a bayonet that had an unusual blade profile, and it was made by Extrema Ratio after do a little searching.

If the knife is not made by Extrema Ratio, then it is a knock-off of their design. I have found "replica" Extrema Ratio knives on airsoft sites that were made in China. I would hope Gurkha would have commissioned the knives from Extrema Ratio!

Until one can be inspected, it is hard to be sure.
    There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by Max_Power View Post
    I am puzzled why it would not come with a kurkhi.

Well, Extrema Ratio does make a kukri knife. However it is too big to fit in a travel humidor.

There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.

Quote Originally Posted by dasronin View Post
    There was something vary familiar with the knife design, but I could not figure out why. That is until the post about Extrema Ratio knives. I remembered a bayonet that had an unusual blade profile, and it was made by Extrema Ratio after do a little searching.

If the knife is not made by Extrema Ratio, then it is a knock-off of their design. I have found "replica" Extrema Ratio knives on airsoft sites that were made in China. I would hope Gurkha would have commissioned the knives from Extrema Ratio!

Until one can be inspected, it is hard to be sure.
    My set arrives on the 11th, I'll inspect it, and try to upload some decent pics.

Puffer Fish with some spikes RealtorFrank's Avatar

My B&M just got these in. A pretty cool concept in my opinion, plus it is a pretty good deal. $159.99 gets you the 30 ct travel humi, 20 Gurkha Spec Op cigars, th knife and sheath, and the coin. It is a big marketing ploy, but I have to say I was tempted to buy it. They are having a Gurkha event there next Thursday, may see if the deal is better that night!

One way to find out might be to email Extrema Ratio with a picture and description and ask them if they made the knives. I would do it but I'm lazy and going to sleep, sorry.

I doubt it is an Extrema Ratio knife, but a Chinese knock off.

I got the Spec Ops box and it is in. Have to pick it up when I get back home. Can't wait and I got a crazy deal on it.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast