Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast
Results 31 to 45 of 53

Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

This is a discussion on Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case??? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by jsnake I got the Spec Ops box and it is in. Have to pick it up when ...

  
  1. #31

    Acid 5 circa '03 ftw! The_Smoked_Blade's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Quote Originally Posted by jsnake View Post
    I got the Spec Ops box and it is in. Have to pick it up when I get back home. Can't wait and I got a crazy deal on it.
    one of the offering's from Corona's?
    Cigars are a way of life, and if they didn't exist, what would be the point? Madness borders genius, while the truth resides in the limelight.

  2. #32

    No longer a community member.


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    if it was made by a reputable company - they would have stated so.

    why would you not mention that the knife is expensive if its all marketing? im 99% sure (1% being they were stupid and forgot to mention the knife manufacture but meant to) that its a cheap knockoff.

  3. #33

    THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Most of the focus by members appears to be on the knife and the travel Humidor! Great marketing as we are all men !
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix



  4. #34

    Puffer Fish with some spikes RealtorFrank's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Quote Originally Posted by Zogg View Post
    if it was made by a reputable company - they would have stated so.

    why would you not mention that the knife is expensive if its all marketing? im 99% sure (1% being they were stupid and forgot to mention the knife manufacture but meant to) that its a cheap knockoff.
    I agree, I doubt hey would be selling a knife that costs a few hundred bucks in their kit for around $160for everything.

  5. #35

    Acid 5 circa '03 ftw! The_Smoked_Blade's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Quote Originally Posted by RealtorFrank View Post
    I agree, I doubt hey would be selling a knife that costs a few hundred bucks in their kit for around $160for everything.
    The actual msrp is actually 500$.
    Cigars are a way of life, and if they didn't exist, what would be the point? Madness borders genius, while the truth resides in the limelight.

  6. #36

    Do you smell smoke? dasronin's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    A bit of an update. I had the opportunity to quickly inspect both knives today. There were no markings indicating Extrema Ratio, but they were of that design style and appeared to be of decent quality.

    The only markings were on the blade. One side has crossed Kukri knives and "K. Hansotia & Co", and the other side "SpecOps" "SRS Limited Edition".

    I am not sure if it was SRS or 5R5, hard to tell but I did find this in a search of "SRS":

    "SRS-15 - Japanese Powder Metallurgy(PM) steel. Excellent choice for kitchen knives. Ref - SRS-15 PM Steel Composition. As you can see, it's really high on Carbon, and all that Tungsten with Vanadium increase wear resistance significantly. Overall, it can get to 64-65HRC no problems. Akifusa gyuto that I have, is made of SRS-15, and I can only attest to its excellent performance."
    There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.

  7. #37

    Lord Fugu d_day's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    If it had this knife, I might jump...

    For all the kids who'd rather flame than talk, I refuse to post.

  8. #38

    Up on One ckay's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Most of the focus by members appears to be on the knife and the travel Humidor! Great marketing as we are all men !
    LOL...none of the focus is on the cigars. I'd say give that marketing department a raise.

  9. #39

    Do you smell smoke? dasronin's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Quote Originally Posted by ckay View Post
    LOL...none of the focus is on the cigars. I'd say give that marketing department a raise.
    Not unusual I would think. Gurkha cigars are not new, much has been written about them. There is nothing to write about related to the sticks. Twenty cigars might cost $110.00, the "humidor" might cost at least $40, and even a clone of a Extrema Ratio knife would sell for at least $75.00.

    So $159.00 for the set to include a challenge coin is reasonable and unique. Now if it were some "store label" cigars... not so much!

    Now if by some chance they actually commissioned the knife from Extrema Ratio (and that my be an extreme stretch - pun intended) the knife is easily worth twice the cost for the set from Gurkha.

    I sent an email to Gurkha and asked if it was made by Extrema Ratio or if not who made the knife. I doubt I will get an answer, but it cost nothing to ask!
    There comes a time in the affairs of man when he must take the bull by the tail and face the situation.

  10. #40

    Acid 5 circa '03 ftw! The_Smoked_Blade's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Quote Originally Posted by dasronin View Post
    Not unusual I would think. Gurkha cigars are not new, much has been written about them. There is nothing to write about related to the sticks. Twenty cigars might cost $110.00, the "humidor" might cost at least $40, and even a clone of a Extrema Ratio knife would sell for at least $75.00.

    So $159.00 for the set to include a challenge coin is reasonable and unique. Now if it were some "store label" cigars... not so much!

    Now if by some chance they actually commissioned the knife from Extrema Ratio (and that my be an extreme stretch - pun intended) the knife is easily worth twice the cost for the set from Gurkha.

    I sent an email to Gurkha and asked if it was made by Extrema Ratio or if not who made the knife. I doubt I will get an answer, but it cost nothing to ask!
    My SpecOp case just arrived, I spent some time looking over the knife... and the leg sheathe, made in Italy no less.
    Now I need to find a suitable allen wrench to disassemble the haft. Additionally it is indeed a full tanto; nor is the steel composed of SRS-15, otherwise well so to would be the cigars as well, well at least the name band on the sticks.
    Last edited by The_Smoked_Blade; 10-11-2010 at 01:29 PM.
    Cigars are a way of life, and if they didn't exist, what would be the point? Madness borders genius, while the truth resides in the limelight.

  11. #41

    Acid 5 circa '03 ftw! The_Smoked_Blade's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    To whom it may concern,

    I've yet to find a proper Allen wrench, I'll be going out to buy one today to disassemble the central quillions which are keeping the haft attached to the blank and blade of my Spec Ops knife in order to see which company fabricated the knives as well as to discern the type of steel used to forge the blades.
    Cigars are a way of life, and if they didn't exist, what would be the point? Madness borders genius, while the truth resides in the limelight.

  12. #42

    Puffer Fish with some spikes mavmech13's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Smoked_Blade View Post
    To whom it may concern,

    I've yet to find a proper Allen wrench, I'll be going out to buy one today to disassemble the central quillions which are keeping the haft attached to the blank and blade of my Spec Ops knife in order to see which company fabricated the knives as well as to discern the type of steel used to forge the blades.
    I'm actually still on the fence on this set. Depending on what you find will end up pushing me in one direction or another. Looking forward to what you find

  13. #43

    Just Puffin away... n3uka's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???



    Would love to see a better pic of the case too. Any indication who makes it?

    Thanks in advance.

  14. #44

    Acid 5 circa '03 ftw! The_Smoked_Blade's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Quote Originally Posted by mavmech13 View Post
    I'm actually still on the fence on this set. Depending on what you find will end up pushing me in one direction or another. Looking forward to what you find
    After tooling around for a bit, I found absolutely no makers mark, country of origin, steel type, etc. I've several people in the IPCPR making inquiries for me to find out from the "Kaiser", as to the origins, etc. about the knife. It's a hidden tang knife.

    All I can say is that the case appears to be a variant of the Madeline series of pelican stylized cigar cases; beneath the second row of Spec Ops is an over turned third pre-cut ten stick tray. The stock humidifier can easily be replaced with a Cigar Mechanic 25ct round travel humidifier as the the case has already utilizes a magnetic plate to affix the humidifier to it. The case itself is made in China, the cigars are from the DR, the leg sheathe is from Italy, and as for the knife (I've been told from one of my sources that it actually does have an MSRP of 300$ (not a Gurkha MSRP)).

    An additional note, the haft/quillion/guard all bear striking resemblances to ER's Venom fixed knife.
    Cigars are a way of life, and if they didn't exist, what would be the point? Madness borders genius, while the truth resides in the limelight.

  15. #45

    Ron Mexico Assault Squid Mr_mich's Avatar


     

    Re: Gurkha SpecOp knife, cigars, & case???

    Quote Originally Posted by The_Smoked_Blade View Post
    After tooling around for a bit, I found absolutely no makers mark, country of origin, steel type, etc. I've several people in the IPCPR making inquiries for me to find out from the "Kaiser", as to the origins, etc. about the knife. It's a hidden tang knife.

    All I can say is that the case appears to be a variant of the Madeline series of pelican stylized cigar cases; beneath the second row of Spec Ops is an over turned third pre-cut ten stick tray. The stock humidifier can easily be replaced with a Cigar Mechanic 25ct round travel humidifier as the the case has already utilizes a magnetic plate to affix the humidifier to it. The case itself is made in China, the cigars are from the DR, the leg sheathe is from Italy, and as for the knife (I've been told from one of my sources that it actually does have an MSRP of 300$ (not a Gurkha MSRP)).

    An additional note, the haft/quillion/guard all bear striking resemblances to ER's Venom fixed knife.

    Now the most important question? Have you smoked one of the Cigars yet? When you do please write a review. I'm not paying that much for a knife, coin and Herfador till i know the cigars inside it are worth smoking. Espcially since the knife and coing are just marketing ploys, I could use the Herf though...

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Tags for this Thread

Bookmarks

Posting Permissions

  • You may not post new threads
  • You may not post replies
  • You may not post attachments
  • You may not edit your posts
  •