Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Alcohol vs. Nicotine

This is a discussion on Alcohol vs. Nicotine within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; In the short time I've been smoking I've noticed a striking subjective difference between the effects of alcohol and the ...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Alcohol vs. Nicotine

In the short time I've been smoking I've noticed a striking subjective difference between the effects of alcohol and the effects of nicotine. I say subjective because it's purely a difference in how similar levels of "impairment" feel to me.

In high school I decided to give alcohol a good test drive, and so for a month or so I pilfered booze anywhere I could, and went to school anywhere from happy to falling-out-of-my-chair. Naturally, this last state did not go unnoticed, and I got into some trouble over it. Anyway, I discovered that I do not like the loss of control that goes with being drunk. I do, however, enjoy a light buzz.

Fast forward to my cigar adventure. I rarely feel much of an effect from smoking a cigar, but when I do, I find it distinctly unpleasant. At what feels like the same level of "buzz," wine is fun and nicotine annoying. Wine is a warm hug, nicotine is a cold slap in the face. Wine is a lover whispering in my ear, nicotine is a bitch screaming in my face.

So, I thought I'd take a quick look at DiscoveryHealth onloine and see if there is a physical difference in the ways that each substance affects the brain. One that would explain the difference in how I experience them.

Here's a brief rundown. Both alcohol and nicotine affect neurotransmitters in the brain, but they work on different ones. Alcohol enhances the effects of a neurotransmitter that inhibits neural action. At the same time, it inhibits an excitatory neurotransmitter. So, it slows down the transmission of signals in the brain, starting with higher function (stuff we do by will or intention), and moving through lower and lower function until enough of it can stop the neural commands to breathe. Nicotine does rather the opposite, by mimicking and effectively replacing a neurotransmitter that, among other things, controls your basic energy level. Because the quantity of active nicotine is not regulated by the body, it pushes its receptors into overdrive, often causing a burst of adrenalin, a release of sguars (fuel for fight/flight), and eventually the release of endorphins.

Maybe that's why I like one over the other.

Oh, and here's something else I ran across - Duke University Medical Center researchers have found that even small amounts of alcohol boost the pleasurable effects of nicotine, inducing people to smoke more when drinking alcoholic beverages.

I have noticed that I seem to be more likely to feel the effects of nicotine when I'm not drinking an alcoholic beverage with my smoke. Maybe for some, including me, alcohol masks or soothes some of the stimulating effects of nicotine, but leaves behind the mild dizziness, which then feels much like an alcohol buzz.

Well, I'm no rocket surgeon, so I won't go any further in my speculations. Enough for me to know I like the pleasantries of alcohol over the arguments of nicotine. As good a reason as any to make sure every cigar has its glass of port!
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Full grown Puffer Fish Matt1951's Avatar

Re: Alcohol vs. Nicotine

Quote Originally Posted by Tritones View Post
    In the short time I've been smoking I've noticed a striking subjective difference between the effects of alcohol and the effects of nicotine. I say subjective because it's purely a difference in how similar levels of "impairment" feel to me.

Maybe that's why I like one over the other.

Well, I'm no rocket surgeon, so I won't go any further in my speculations. Enough for me to know I like the pleasantries of alcohol over the arguments of nicotine. As good a reason as any to make sure every cigar has its glass of port!
    You have discovered one of the mystical secrets of life. Cigars and port (or brandy, or scotch). The others being younger women, faster horses, more money ...

Enough for me to know I like the pleasantries of alcohol over the arguments of nicotine. As good a reason as any to make sure every cigar has its glass of port!

You said it buddy. Im just sitting down to a Tatuaje Veroco Tubos and a glass of port. Scotch for this evening.

There goes my buzz

Puffer Fish with some spikes Surfer24's Avatar

I have noticed that I seem to be more likely to feel the effects of nicotine when I'm not drinking an alcoholic beverage with my smoke. Maybe for some, including me, alcohol masks or soothes some of the stimulating effects of nicotine, but leaves behind the mild dizziness, which then feels much like an alcohol buzz.
    Same here. when drinking with mild/medium cigars, I definitely don't feel the bad parts of the nicotine. Same with full bodies except i will eventually and then feel like crap but its alot less intense and for alot less time.
    When I dont drink with a full bodied cigar I feel like but dont throw up.

I dont know which is less worse:
    Puking for 15 minutes then feeling fine after half an hour, or
    Feeling like crap for two hours but not puking

The easiest time to add insult to injury is when you're signing somebody's cast.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish

I've found that I never have an unpleasant nicotine rush if I enjoy a cigar after I've eaten. I have had bad nic trips on an empty stomach, though.

Maturing Puffer Fish msblann1960's Avatar

I try to always have a drink in hand when I smoke.

Seems to help.

That is a good bit of info. It makes a lot of sense to me because I can feel a buzz 1 or 2 drinks, but I never have really felt a nic buzz.
    Drink a little Drink, Smoke a little Smoke

Puffer Fish with some spikes JackH's Avatar

Which is why in states that don't allow smoking in establishments, many bars are going out of business.
    Do unto others - then split!

Press the button Max! Breakaway500's Avatar

I find the nicotine buzz from cigars very enjoyable!! It is one of the reasons I continue to smoke,regardless of how "bad" everyone says tobacco is.
    Some cigars are overwhelming,especially if rushed. Only a few times have I had to slow down a smoke because of nicotine overload.
    One of my favorite things to do is a good cigar,a bowl of "palm leaves" and a few glasses of good wine. The buzz is amazing..!! The "palm leaves" really smooth out the nicotine naseua which can occur(which I hardy get any more) and the wine rounds out the whole sensation!

Rocket surgeon??
    When I think of all the good times that I've wasted..having good times...

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway500 View Post
    I find the nicotine buzz from cigars very enjoyable!!

The "palm leaves" really smooth out the nicotine naseua which can occur(which I hardy get any more) and the wine rounds out the whole sensation!

Rocket surgeon??
    Yeah - I know some guys like the nicotine buzz. For me it's too harsh, but that's subjective. The buzz feels all in my head, unlike wine, which feels like an all-over buzz. To me.

I've only gotten nauseated from one cigar - if it were possible to smoke ISOMs in this country, it might have been one of those. But, of course, seeing that it is not possible to smoke one here, it must not have been one. But I've felt the head-buzz a number of times, and I don't like it at all.

Rocket surgeon - from the old adage, "It ain't rocket surgery."
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Press the button Max! Breakaway500's Avatar

It does not take much to give me a buzz..a couple of glasses of wine,a small bowl of "palm leaves" ...and most cigars,unless they are really mild,give me a nice,Euphoric buzz.Not dizzy,or disfunctional,but kind of like having two big mugs of really strong coffee or espresso. Woo-hoo! Get -er-done!

I believe the adage is... "It ain't rocket science." Who does surgery on a rocket? Ha!
    When I think of all the good times that I've wasted..having good times...

Puffer Fish with many spikes Mr. Slick's Avatar

I enjoy a light to moderate alcohol buzz but I'm with the OP I can't stand the loss of control that comes with sipping too much. The timeline: sober-buzzed-happy-really happy-this sucks.

On the other hand, I thoroghly enjoy the nicotine buzz. It doesn't make me sick or nauseous. I don't mind the dizziness, the nic buzz to me is extremely relaxing and soothing. And I also agree with the research presented by the OP about alcohol boosting the pleasure of nicotine. I find that the nic buzz is best enjoyed after two beverages.

Happy Sipping & Happy Puffing!!
    Why am I wasting my time talking to an A-hole like you when I could be doing something much more dangerous... like rearrageing my humidor.

Thou Shall Not Doubt Me MoreBeer's Avatar

I don't believe I ever experienced a nicotine buzz. But then again, i can have 10 beers and not feel that either. So maybe I'm naturally buzzed and don't know what normal is? LOL!
    "I'll Buy That For A Dollar"

Puffer Fish with many spikes Mr. Slick's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway500 View Post
    One of my favorite things to do is a good cigar,a bowl of "palm leaves" and a few glasses of good wine. The buzz is amazing..!! The "palm leaves" really smooth out the nicotine naseua which can occur(which I hardy get any more) and the wine rounds out the whole sensation!

Breakaway: I'm curious, tell us more about these "palm leaves"

If you speak of what I think you're speaking of then that's probably why I don't get nausea from nicotine
    Why am I wasting my time talking to an A-hole like you when I could be doing something much more dangerous... like rearrageing my humidor.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast