Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

How long can a cigar last outside of a humidor?

This is a discussion on How long can a cigar last outside of a humidor? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Since shipping takes four days to me, how much longer can a cigar last without being in an airtight container ...

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes jswaykos's Avatar

How long can a cigar last outside of a humidor?

Since shipping takes four days to me, how much longer can a cigar last without being in an airtight container or humidor? Can they last a week? They'd sit for four more days (inside, still pretty dry) after shipment arrives. Safe?

Re: How long can a cigar last outside of a humidor?

It'll last couple of years, but it'll be hard as a rock!

I think a day or two would be the longest I'd leave my cigar out and expect it to taste well. Don't worry. You should be able to re-humidify for two to three weeks and it should taste just like it should!

I might ask for a humidi-pack to be put in if it takes almost a month to ship.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Mr. Slick's Avatar

That's something I have been wondering too. Not so much for delivery/shipping time because when I get a delivery I freeze them, then let them rest a good while before smoking. My concern is for traveling because I have yet to purchase a herfador. Every time I think about buying one I have either already spent too much on cigars or say "nah I'd rather buy some more sticks instead". I go off for the weekend quite often. When I do I just grab a handfull of sticks and put them in a Ci bag or two. I always bring more than I will smoke because I never know how many buddies I will be handing out sticks to.
    Why am I wasting my time talking to an A-hole like you when I could be doing something much more dangerous... like rearrageing my humidor.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    It'll last couple of years, but it'll be hard as a rock!

I think a day or two would be the longest I'd leave my cigar out and expect it to taste well. Don't worry. You should be able to re-humidify for two to three weeks it and it should taste just like it should!
    Oh, I'd definitely let them rest for at least that long,. I just didn't know if they'd be completely ruined or if they'd just a little extra added rest.

It also depends on the humidity outside the humidor. Some geographical locations have a higher natural rh at diff times throughout the year.

After 2 days of being in a dry atmosphere I can usually notice a difference. ie...taste, burn.

Quote Originally Posted by Zfog View Post
    It also depends on the humidity outside the humidor. Some geographical locations have a higher natural rh at diff times throughout the year.

After 2 days of being in a dry atmosphere I can usually notice a difference. ie...taste, burn.
    Without rest, ROTT, or permanently?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish tiger187126's Avatar

Always err on the side of too long when you throw them in your humi off of the truck. I've smoked some bad cigars because I wasn't patient enough.

Quote Originally Posted by jswaykos View Post
    Without rest, ROTT, or permanently?
    If I take a cigar out of my humi and it just lays around for a couple days I can notice a difference. if I then throw it in the humi for a week or so it is fine again. I wouldn't want to do this 30 time or anything... but they bounce back for sure.
    As far as how long they can go and still bounce back I have no idea. It would depend on the cigar and how it was stored. I'm sure different cigars would have slight differences.

Maybe some veterans can give us some first hand experiences!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Zfog View Post
    If I take a cigar out of my humi and it just lays around for a couple days I can notice a difference. if I then throw it in the humi for a week or so it is fine again. I wouldn't want to do this 30 time or anything... but they bounce back for sure.
    As far as how long they can go and still bounce back I have no idea. It would depend on the cigar and how it was stored. I'm sure different cigars would have slight differences.

Maybe some veterans can give us some first hand experiences!
    Leaving your cigar out and just leaving it will change it because it is not in an environment where it should be thriving. Take a rose out of its' vase and you'll notice the effect. A cigar will bounce back as long as you didn't leave it out in the garage or on the back deck where the elements can get harsh. I've left cigars out of their humidors for a couple of days and it's like the dryboxing effect...it's going to lose the original RH pretty quick so as soon as you can stick it back where it belongs the faster it will recover.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Thou Shall Not Doubt Me MoreBeer's Avatar

If its a full wrapped box or singles within zip locks, you'll be fine for a week. Cigars are usually kept at 70RH (or slightly higher) where they're shipped from so don't sweat it too much. They won't get wrecked. Believe me.
    "I'll Buy That For A Dollar"

Thanks for all the replies! I can order without worry, other than knowing my sticks will be waiting on my desk, all alone with nobody to smoke them.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish tiger187126's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jswaykos View Post
    Thanks for all the replies! I can order without worry, other than knowing my sticks will be waiting on my desk, all alone with nobody to smoke them.
    i have mine all shipped to a PO Box which i like better because they're sitting inside, but recently it's seemed like i've had to wait an extra day for them to "process" it.

it kills me waiting, but you can't beat the deals you get online sometimes.

I ordered myself some sticks on the 17th (they shipped out then) and here it is the 22nd and they aren't here yet. I'm starting to get worried about em. This was a good time to read this thread, I think. They're boxes/bundles so I'm not sure how they'll react but hopefully they'll be fine

Quote Originally Posted by BigBenny View Post
    I ordered myself some sticks on the 17th (they shipped out then) and here it is the 22nd and they aren't here yet. I'm starting to get worried about em. This was a good time to read this thread, I think. They're boxes/bundles so I'm not sure how they'll react but hopefully they'll be fine
    There's all kinds of bad weather around the country right now, so I'm sure they're on their way... slowly. At least it's freezing weather, which is better than extreme heat.

I would hate to be in Denver with the dry air they get. You probably could actually see the cigar shrivel in front of you. Honestly cigars were shipped to england and the boat trip took a month or longer. That is why they like their cigars drier to this day. With most online shippers over humidifing their cigar, speed of shipping, ziplocs, your cigars might be low on the RH level but not that low. Now if you dont have a herf, a good ziploc or small Tupperware and a rh travel packet works fine.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast