Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Resting cigars and actually smoking

This is a discussion on Resting cigars and actually smoking within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Being very new in this hobby I have been doing a lot of reading in books/magazines and on puff about ...

Young Puffer Fish

Resting cigars and actually smoking

Being very new in this hobby I have been doing a lot of reading in books/magazines and on puff about when is the right time to smoke your cigar purchase. Almost every source I have read says that any handmade high quality cigar has tobacco that has been aged for at least 2-3years minimum berfore it is rolled and then rests in bundles at the factory for a few months before they are packaged so that all of the sticks can pick up the other flavors and aromas from the other sticks to help create a continually perfect stick.

Now is where I get confused. Some people say that once a cigar has left the factory it is at its best and is ready to be smoked and stored. If stored it was only get fractionally better no matter how long is stays in a humi. Others say that you need at least 6 months - 1 year of rest in a humi before they will start to taste good. But 1 you dont really know how long the stick has been sitting at the B&M, unless you ask someone knowledgeble there and 2 when you are new in the hobby when they hell do you actually get to smoke?

I tend to agree with the resting period as I have been given smokes out of a buddies humi that have tasted great, I then go buy my own and smoke one instantlly and they taste bad or nothing like what I had previously smoked. Being new in the hobby, I have spent the last month buying any high quality stick I could get my hand on. I have around 100 cigars in my humi that were all purchased at the begining of January. Tons of Fuente, Ashtons, La Aromda de Cubas, few Cubans, etc... all very top quality smokes. Granted I bought at least 2 of every cigar I have so that I can either have 1 for a buddy so we can discuss the cigar and learn about it or 2 smoke one and then rest one. My thing is though if cigars due dramatically change in that 6mo rest period I really dont want to smoke a well rated cigar early and have it taste like crap as it will just turn me off from smoking the other one. I know the flavors that I like and I buy sticks based off of other peoples ratings (because I am new) in order to find out more what type of cigars I like. But I know the La Aromda de Cuba Magnifico is supposed to have creamy flavors, but I have seen a lot of people rate it on here and say that it tastes terrible and they should have let it rest for 6 months.

Should I be buying older cigars to enjoy now and then store my other ones? I have a notebook that tracks all the cigars, purchase date etc as well as having blank cigar bands on the cigars that tell me the purchase date. If I am buying the best I want them to taste as best as they can. But I always buy cigars to enjoy them. So should I be waiting 6months to smoke the sticks in my humi?? What do I do in the mean time

Re: Resting cigars and actually smoking

It really depends on your taste. Most every cigar I've had has been enjoyable out of the box. Do they get better after a few years? Aging potential largely depends on the cigar, but typically, yes. I enjoy the more subtle and silky smooth notes from a really well aged cigar.

Cigar smoking is really a long term hobby. Buy some to smoke and some to put away. In a year's time compare the two and see what you like. But by all means, if you like a certain cigar fresh then smoke them fresh. I really like the Padrón 1926 line as they have a bit of that smooth aged taste right away. You can exhale them through your nose all day without feeling like your nose hair has begun to smolder.
    Last edited by Nathan King; 01-28-2011 at 11:46 AM.

Maturing Puffer Fish powerman659's Avatar

Its really all about what YOU like and how you like it.

Young Puffer Fish

Dont get me wrong, Im fine with the aging and what not as I am use to this with wine. But I know with wine I buy a bottle because it has things in it I like. I try it and if its good, I buy more and some I drink, some I save for a year or so. But also with wine you can usually buy the same reserve at different dates. Like one Brunello I love I can get dated in 08, 06, 04 etc... Though what I notice is that the taste is still there, and I can still tell it is the same wine, it just gets smoother as everything blends better.

With cigars though, if they need that extra 6months of aging, why wouldnt the roller, keep the cigars againg for longer? Obviously I know cost is the #1 thing there, but winemakers, scotch makers etc keep their product aging for long times before they are sold. I just feel with cigars so many get great ratings and then others who do their own personal taste test experience nothing that was in the professional review and they either automatically write it off or say that it needs more time to age...

The other night while down at Holts I spent a good amount of money and I told my salesman who is very knowledgeable that I was meeting a buisness client that night who was very into cigars and I wanted to purchase something that would be a great smoke for that very night. He suggested 2 Fuente Sharks would be perfect. Now this morning I just read a thread with multiple people saying how legendary the taste of a shark is but they smoked them and they tasted like crap and need more aging. So was my guy wrong?

Puffer With No Spikes shannensmall's Avatar

The truth is, there is no set rule. There are just too many variables between storage conditions and cigar blends. There are a bunch of cigars that are great ROTT, and there are a bunch that need a lil resting period. It's all really trial and error. A lot of people prefer to get at least a 5 pack, so you can smoke one ROTT, then one at 3 months, 6 months, 9 months, 1 year. To see how they evolve.

On the issue of good cigars using aged tobacco. Wile this is true, when that tobacco is rolled, it kicks off the final fermentation period, hence the ammonia. One good way to tell if your cigars are done with this period is to smell the stick a few inches behind the burn line. If there is any ammonia present, you will definitely be able to pick it up.

Now the only NCs I know of that don't really get any better with age/rest are Padron annys. They are already aged up to 8 years depending on what one you are smoking. And actually most people think they loose some flavor if allowed to age any more amount of time.
    A lack of preparation on your part, does not constitute an emergency on my part.

Quote Originally Posted by Mahoney86 View Post
    Now this morning I just read a thread with multiple people saying how legendary the taste of a shark is but they smoked them and they tasted like crap and need more aging. So was my guy wrong?
    It's about personal preference. I rather enjoy a fresh shark. It's a pleasant complex smoke with an unusual hint of raisin and dark fruit.

If all cigar manufacturers kept their cigars to age there would probably be no cigars under $25 - just as you pay a premium for a wine of exceptional vintage like an '05 Bordeaux with the region's cool summer and warm autumn.
    Last edited by Nathan King; 01-28-2011 at 12:09 PM.

Young Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by shannensmall View Post
    Now the only NCs I know of that don't really get any better with age/rest are Padron annys. They are already aged up to 8 years depending on what one you are smoking. And actually most people think they loose some flavor if allowed to age any more amount of time.

Well I guess the good thing there is I have quite a few of these from different rolling dates, these were ones that I wanted to keep aged for awhile but perhaps I shouldnt really..

For instance though. I was given a Fuente Reserva 10ct. Has 2 Opus X, 2 Grand Reserva Hemingways, etc... It doesnt have a boxing date or rolling date on the box. Just says Extrememly Rare Collection 08'. Now I know Opus X are usually to be aged a good year. Are these something that would be good to be smoked now since they were in a cedar box, with a humifying pack and saran wrapped? Or is it just the Tobacco was from 08 and it was still probably only rolled this year

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Oldmso54's Avatar

Rob - I'm with you on this one. The whole ROTT vs aging and for how long is very confusing. The one thing that I can tell you is that more often than not, at least in my personal experience, I'd say 8 out of 10 cigars that I have smoked ROTT turned out to be a much better smoke the next time I smoked them after they had rested - even a short time - in the humidor. So at this point I really, really try to not smoke them ROTT and give them at least a little time in the humi. Fortunately (or unfortunately for my bank account) I've been able to build up enough of a stash that I can wait to smoke new cigars but at the beginning - no patience, and I was always smoking them ROTT.

Disinterested

Rob, you're asking a very good question and I definitely feel your frustration.

First, never confuse the terms, Rest and Age.

Rest is generally considered to be anything from about 6wks to 2yrs. What typically happens here ranges from the cigar having an opportunity to "settle" down to your preferred moisture content, to flavors marrying; becoming less disparate and dilliniated, "smoothing out the rough edges". Many cigars come from the factory, and especially the distributor and vendor, with a moisture content less suitable to smoking, but advantageous for shipping, etc. I have found that the vast majority of non-Cuban cigars smoke best at ~65% rH. This maintains the oils in the tobacco, but also wards against burn issues; uneveness, going out, etc. I allow about 5%/month for the cigar to stabilize. This means that, if the cigar comes to me at 74% (common), it takes about 2mos to settle down.

Beyond moisture content settling down and stabilizing, there is also another, unavoidable element. When a cigar is rolled, it must be wetted in order to make the wrapper leaf pliable and agreeable to the rigors of stretching and shaping. This added moisture invariably interacts with the remaining sugars in the leaf and ushers in another fermentation cycle. This is where the ammoniac flavor comes from. This final cycle can take as little as 6mos, in the case of some very light natural wrapper, to 2yrs for some heavier maduros. The test, quoted by shannensmall, is something I discovered a while back and it was actually a Shark that told me it wasn't ready.

Age, refers to changes, which occur within the molecular structure of the tobacco(s). Nicotine and various protiens break down over time and typically mellow and marry the flavors. In the case of Cubans and some other so called, "puros", this is generally considered to produce a superior, more flavorsome cigar.

Since, as stated, most non-Cuban cigars contain tobaccos, which have already seen some degree of aging, it can be a hit-n-miss proposition, whether or not they will benefit from aging, which is about 5yrs and onward.

Now, for the hard part. "What the hell do I smoke for two years while I wait for my smokes to get good?"

Well, there are cigars, which do (for whatever reason) smoke just fine, right off the shelf. Ashton VSG comes to mind; I've never had a bad one and have smoked many, day-of-purchase. Most Padrons seem ready to get flame immediately, although the maduros not so much as the naturals. These are typically among the cigars I will buy when I go to a BnM, with the intent to sit and smoke. Either would have been ideal for your client meeting. I've also had great luck with the Cusano 18yrs line. Even their maduro is ready to go. There are several others, but that's a start.

The only other ways to avoid the "sick" phase of a new cigar are, 1) get the cigar as fresh off the rolling table as possible. Get it before the final fermentation is in full swing. This is the period when many non-Cubans are actually their very best. Ask your BnM guy what's just come in and buy one to smoke and a few to rest. 2) Buy what's been laying on the shelf the longest. I frequent 2 BnM near me. One, I am familiar enough with their stock to know what's new and what's been sitting for years. I buy the "sitting for years stuff". When I go to the other, I know they flip inventory fast, so I ask what's recently come in and buy that to smoke.

Sorry for the novella, but yours is a good question, which warrants some depth.

Hope this helps.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes fivespdcat's Avatar

I think it also depends on mail order vs. store bought. I have and will continue to smoke sticks straight out of a B&M's humidor but anything mail order automatically sits for about 3 months. I've also found that resting helps the burn on cigars to be much better and just an overall more enjoyable smoke. The way I get around this is by staggering my purchases and putting new purchases at the bottom of my humi and older ones towards the top. This way I've always got a good rotation of available smokes!

Not Here

Quote Originally Posted by fivespdcat View Post
    I think it also depends on mail order vs. store bought. I have and will continue to smoke sticks straight out of a B&M's humidor but anything mail order automatically sits for about 3 months. I've also found that resting helps the burn on cigars to be much better and just an overall more enjoyable smoke. The way I get around this is by staggering my purchases and putting new purchases at the bottom of my humi and older ones towards the top. This way I've always got a good rotation of available smokes!
    This also depends on the B&M. Some keep their stock at a higher humidity than others which causes many issues including erratic burns and off flavors. Although there is no hard and fast rule about this I have found that the shops here tend to over-humidify. The reason being is that this is a high tourist area and most of the people who are coming in to buy are not smoking them immediately or taking them home to store. They are putting them in a bag and then just laying them on a table or in the car to be smoked at another time while on the golf course or doing the other touristy things.
    BIA!!!

Puffer Fish with many spikes Mr. Slick's Avatar

I'll second Padrons. While you're waiting for your stash to rest you can't really go wrong with smoking a few Padrons from the shelf at the B&M
    Why am I wasting my time talking to an A-hole like you when I could be doing something much more dangerous... like rearrageing my humidor.

I had a lot of frustrations early on (though admittedly to some, I'm still early on...) but what I found was that shipped cigars, two-three weeks minimum resting. Those I've been tempted to smoke right when they come in have always, with one exception, disappointed (and that one may have been better later). Two of the local B&M cigar shop/bar I've smoked on the way home, and found that purchases were consistent when I smoked the remainder a couple weeks later. Three ABC stores carry a large inventory of cigars, and I'll pick some up when stopping to pick up spirits. Some of my friends smoke these right when they get them, but I've always found them to be too moist, checking with them, they were keeping their ambient above 75 (reasoning, consumers throw them in the car or on their desk and they dry out). I will rest these for several weeks minimum when I do buy from there.

Now, we had a shop in the mall that was going out of business, my wife grabbed me a few Sopranos and Visions. I'd had these before from elsewhere and liked them greatly, but local prices were so high I'd rarely get them. These were half off, closeout prices, so she grabbed them up. Well, come to find out they'd been sitting on the shelf for several years, long enough that the white band on the visions had picked up some yellowing. They were so awesome, I bought several boxes over the next few weeks from CI and Famous and they are just sitting in the bottom of my big coolidor waiting till they hit that magical age. Yes, I'll smoke one every once in a while, but I resist, knowing what they'll be like after a few years more...

I have no real aging plans for the rest of my stock, but the nature of purchasing (like a kid in a candy store on allowance day when I come into money) versus the nature of my consumption (10-12 a week) means that many will age just waiting for me.

I've been surprised by quite a few that had gone from ok/good to wow, I want more, in the 6-9 months they sat there, but none were big enough changes to really warrant intentional aging (other than the two from CAO)
    Trip

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Seasick Sailor's Avatar

After reading this thread I decided to start a thread specifically for people to list their favorite ROTT smokes.

I hope that it will grow into a great reference for newbies like myself and the OP.

A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars