Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars

This is a discussion on A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Some of you maynotice that I keep going back to this one but.......Ashton aged Maduro (my choice is the #15) ...

Re: A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars

Some of you maynotice that I keep going back to this one but.......Ashton aged Maduro (my choice is the #15) is great ROTT. Illusione Epernay are always awesome and are slowly becoming my favorite.

Consigliere Cigarfellas loki993's Avatar

Most of the cigars Ive had have been pretty good ROTT, but I alway do a lot of research here before I go buy. Just a few of the ones I really enjoy, Im still new at this so.

CAO Brazilia, Gol and Box press Ive had. Just had the Box press last night, man what a good smoke. Not too expensive either.

Illusione, slowly beconing one of my favs. Ive had the 88 and the #2, I also have an mj12 that I gotta get around to smoking

Tatuaje, only one so far but I liked it.

Anejo, Ive had the #50 and the #77, I cant stop buying these things, lol, Ive got 2 more #55s and a #77 in the humi right now and Im sure more will find their way in. I think its becasue theyre limited, get em while you can.

Nubs, I like the maddys and the connies. Still have to try the Cameroon.

Viaje
    "How do you like that cigar?...Well, don't like it too much. They're more expensive than drugs. "

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

At your B&M almost everything will see some rest, if not age. At places like Famous the turn over seems pretty fast for a lot of it AAAND they're shipping so you have a better chance at getting them at an improper RH level.

So are we looking for a literal off the truck or from B&M shops also?

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Seasick Sailor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMack View Post
    At your B&M almost everything will see some rest, if not age. At places like Famous the turn over seems pretty fast for a lot of it AAAND they're shipping so you have a better chance at getting them at an improper RH level.

So are we looking for a literal off the truck or from B&M shops also?
    B&Ms and off the truck.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Brinson's Avatar

You guys are all mentioning premium sticks (for the most part), but if I'm getting a stick literally right off the truck, and smoking it, its going to be something like an Oliva G. I think they taste great ROTT and I don't feel bad about not resting a $4 stick.

Disinterested

Quote Originally Posted by Seasick Sailor View Post
    I agree that those threads contain great information and should be required reading, but I thought that this thread would be better for someone using the search function or possibly even achieve sticky status.

I'm hoping to create a one-stop place for people who are just starting their collections.
    Don't mistake me, Mike. This is indeed, an admirable effort. It can be not only good for the newb, but also for the FOGs among us. It would be nice to know what's smoking good right off the rack.

HOWEVER

The nature of a "Sticky" is that it contains information, which defies time and will be beneficial, in perpetuity.

By it's very nature, the query, "What's smoking great, right off the truck? A Newie's Guide.", has a very short shelf life.

Two variables confront it:

1) Two years from now, none of you will be "newbies".

2) What smokes great ROTT now, might not, the next time that company ships that cigar. It's the nature of the industry.

Here's an example. When Opus X was first released for general consumption in 1995, most cigar smokers were suspicious and hesitant. No one, "in the know", bought into the idea that you could grow a decent wrapper leaf in the Dominican. The Diamond Crown Maximus (Opus of the West), actually out-sold Opus at the start. They were basically the same cigar, but Diamond Crown was better known for Super-Premiums at the time. Both, actually smoked great ROTT.

Since that time, the Diamond Crown Maximus has remained more consistent than the in-line Opus. They changed a component, but they still smoke great, ROTT. Opus is, at best, "iffy" now. Some of them smoked spectacularly well, ROTT, while others need time, and some... well... aren't "all that".

So, to your list, of what is smoking great right now, newbie, or not, I would add:

Ashton VSG

Diamond Crown Maximus

All the Padron Anni's

Oliva G Cameroons

Los Blancos NINE

Los Blancos Criollo

RyJ Anniversario

CAO Gold

Camacho Corojo

Arganese ML3 and CL3

Casa England Maduro

Carlos Torano Silver Exodus

All-in-all, your best bet for a good, ROTT, smoke, is going to have a Cameroon wrapper. They are light, delicate, sweet, creamy and impose the shortest rest-time.

Avoid heavy wrappers, such as Connecticut broadleaf; especially maduros, which take a LONG time to settle down.

maybe I'm crazy but the concept of smokes that are good ROTT don't seem to really apply to NC's.

I mean don't get me wrong, I think most any cigar will benefit from aging however, the NC's (especially premiums) genuinely have longer fermentation of tobacco.

Is my viewpoint wrong? I know that with anything it is not black and white but shades of gray so I am sure there are examples of NC's that benefit largely from aging. However, in general I would think this subject not as applicable.

Thoughts?
    "Sometimes you need to stop and smell the maduros "

Wag

My thoughts are for our purposes ROTT means any cigar that has been stored at the proper RH long enough to stabilize-most likely from a B&M.

When I think of ROTT, I see my UPS man handing me an open box in one hand and a lit cigar in the other.

(I have to be careful not to order any booze online. He cant afford to lose this job)

Full grown Puffer Fish Matt1951's Avatar

Perdomo ages their upscale (Lot 23 and higher) cigars a minimum 200 days. All of those are ok one day out of the cellophane. Their lesser cigars are hit or miss for adequate aging. On bundles, it varies. I have had Famous Nicaraguan 3000 cigars that were fine one day out of their plastic, and others that benefit from rest time. The Altadis cigars and General cigars have adequate aging, where there is no significant ammonia, at least the ones I have smoked. Still, the St Luis Rey from Altadis seems much smoother with a month of rest. I agree with Herf n Turf, Don, we really don't know how long a cigar has been sitting at a distributor, so one time, a cigar may be just fine as is, and other times, benefit from rest.

As a NC newbie, relatively speaking, I can second the following in Herf n Turf's list:
    - Ashton VSG
    - All the Padron Anni's (1964's)
    - Oliva G Cameroons
    - Camacho Corojo
    - Carlos Torano Silver Exodus

Will also add:
    - Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon
    - RP Edge
    - AF Chateau Fuente Series Sungrown
    - JdN Antano 1970

Also agree that Cameroon wrappers appear to generally be the best ROTT when compared to other wrappers.
    A lot of problems in the world can be solved if everyone takes the time to relax and have a cigar.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes BKDW's Avatar

Ditto with Sancho Panzas.

They are good to go. They will get some added dimensionality after a year of rest.

Ditto on the HDM's: The #1 Maduros are very good ROTT, but after a year/year and a half, they become a near great cigar and VERY hard to beat in terms of quality and consistency and price.

As for the Padrons, the Londres seems to be good to go. The same for the 64s and 26s. The x000 series seem to be good ROTT, but other BOTLs say almost unanimously they will get better with rest.

Illusione seems to be top notch ROTT as well.
    "I don't expect a consumer to spend $15 on a cigar and have to sit on it for two years..." Jorge Padron

Quote Originally Posted by Wag View Post
    When I think of ROTT, I see my UPS man handing me an open box in one hand and a lit cigar in the other.

(I have to be careful not to order any booze online. He cant afford to lose this job)
    That counts too.

I think of the stabilization time as the maximum it should take to count for our purposes.

That counts too.

I think of the stabilization time as the maximum it should take to count for our purposes.
    Ah, read my posts as "open box, light cigar" or "walk out of liquor store, light cigar" as the subtleties of aging vary by perception and opinion, but I won't buy anything that can't be smoked and enjoyed after a few weeks of rest. The patience to wait for a new cigar to stabilize on the other hand... well, the ones I listed previously burned great without.

Here's an updated list of the cigars mentioned in this thread.

I plan on reading through the referenced threads later this afternoon and adding suggestions from them too.

Herf has provided us with a great general rule for good ROTT smokes:

"...your best bet for a good, ROTT, smoke, is going to have a Cameroon wrapper. They are light, delicate, sweet, creamy and impose the shortest rest-time."

We have compiled a quite impressive list so far.

Let's keep it growing!

• Padron x000
    • Padron Anniversary
    • Arturo Fuente Anejo
    • Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label
    • Illusione
    • Arturo Fuente Hemmingway
    • Montecristo - Original
    • Nica Libre
    • Indian Tabac
    • Hoyo de Monterrey
    • Ashton VSG
    • Diamond Crown Maximus
    • Olivia G Cameroons
    • Los Blancos Nine
    • Los Blancos Criollo
    • Romeo y Julieta Annivesario
    • CAO Gold
    • Camacho Corojo
    • Arganese ML3 and CL3
    • Casa England Maduro
    • Carlos Torano Silver Exodus
    • Carlos Torano 1916 Cameroon
    • Rocky Patel Edge
    • Arturo Fuente Chateau Fuente Series Sungrown
    • Joya de Nicaragua Antano 1970
    • Ashton Aged Maduro

Well, this thread seems to have run its course.

I want to thank everyone for their suggestions.

I think we were able to create something that will be beneficial to our Puff community!

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast