Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3

A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars

This is a discussion on A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Very informative for the new guy. Since I have never let a cigar rest, this may explain why some cigars ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes LLave's Avatar

Re: A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars

Very informative for the new guy. Since I have never let a cigar rest, this may explain why some cigars I have tried have been much better than others. I am learning i swear!

The only cigar that I have had that hasn't been good ROTT, is the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. It's definitely going to need some age on it. Super harsh and bitter notes around the halfway mark. Herf and Turf did say something about Maduro's needing the longest amount of rest. So for a good starting point would you say 3-6 months?

Puffer Fish with some spikes bob-o's Avatar

I have bought Illusione, Fuente and Drew Estate cigars at local B&M's and found them to be good ROTT

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Demonblade View Post
    The only cigar that I have had that hasn't been good ROTT, is the 5 Vegas Gold Maduro. It's definitely going to need some age on it. Super harsh and bitter notes around the halfway mark. Herf and Turf did say something about Maduro's needing the longest amount of rest. So for a good starting point would you say 3-6 months?
    3-6 months generally seems to do the trick (for most cigars), but if you can let them rest for at least 6 months you might be surprised at the further improvement. If you have more of those 5 Vegas Gold Maduros let them sit for 3 months and try another (I think you will be pleasently surprised) then, if your patience allows, save at least 1 for another 3 months. With 6+ months they turn into a great, very budget friendly smoke!
    Hangin' out with Friends

My limited knowledge agrees that maduros need a rest.
    This is a great thread, I am going to order some illusiones ....

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish rocketmann82's Avatar

AF 8-5-8's.
    H Upmann Vintage Cameroons

I smoke them ROTT or straight out of the B&M and I have never had a bad one. I also agree with most Cameroon's taking the least amount of time to rest before smoking.

Naturally time always makes the good even better,
    but I've enjoyed Oliva Serie V and Master Blends ROTT.
    Wrap Your Ass in Fiberglass
    Drive a VETTE

Maturing Puffer Fish

I agree with all the Sancho Panza's (very good deal too!), Ashton VSG's, and Anejo's as smoking great rott. There are a few more but those are ones I never hesitate to smoke right away when I get a box.

Young Fish

This is a fantastic thread, and very beneficial for all of us "newbs" who although might have the desire to age some cigars, are really stoked/ lack the restraint to properly age a box and want to plunge into the smoking of a nice cigar. Thank to all of the contributors! I now have a list of boxes to go purchase.

Full grown Puffer Fish The Wolverine's Avatar

The answer is ANY CIGAR.It really depends on how the smokes are stored and shipped.I usully let them rest for a week if it takes a week or more to get them from shipping,but I have smoked some the same day no problem.Everyone gets hung up on the ageing thing.Just make sure you store them at a correct % of humidity and don't play the yo-yo game with it.

Quote Originally Posted by The Wolverine View Post
    The answer is ANY CIGAR.It really depends on how the smokes are stored and shipped.I usully let them rest for a week if it takes a week or more to get them from shipping,but I have smoked some the same day no problem.Everyone gets hung up on the ageing thing.Just make sure you store them at a correct % of humidity and don't play the yo-yo game with it.
    Once you've smoked enough sticks, you can do a squeeze test and know how humid or not the sticks are. If they feel right, light it up. Some sticks stay longer in warehouses or wherever. If they're too wet, give them the time to chill and settle, and the smoke is much better.

But you're right, about any cigar is fine ROTT so long as it's not overhumidified.
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

Page 3 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3