Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars

This is a discussion on A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; After struggling with the question of what to smoke while waiting for my cigars to rest or age and reading ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Seasick Sailor's Avatar

A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars

After struggling with the question of what to smoke while waiting for my cigars to rest or age and reading this thread: Resting cigars and actually smoking I have decided the we need a go-to thread for newbies like myself who need to know just what cigars they can safely smoke while waiting for their preferred brands to rest or age.

In my limited experience, Padrons seem to be great ROTT.

Please chime in with your favorites ROTT, and let's get a good reference thread going to help out the Puff community.

Re: A Newbie's Guide to Good ROTT Cigars

Hemmingways smoke great ROTT

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label (provided, of course, that they are at proper temp/RH)

I'm not sure if you mean ROTT literally or like within 2 weeks of getting it. I usually prefer to let my sticks acclimate to 65%/70 for about 14 days before I start burning them. I tried smoking a My Father Le Bijou 1922 literally hours after I got the box... Not recommended.

Quote Originally Posted by Krish the Fish View Post

I'm not sure if you mean ROTT literally or like within 2 weeks of getting it. I usually prefer to let my sticks acclimate to 65%/70 for about 14 days before I start burning them. I tried smoking a My Father Le Bijou 1922 literally hours after I got the box... Not recommended.
    My thoughts are for our purposes ROTT means any cigar that has been stored at the proper RH long enough to stabilize-most likely from a B&M.

Disinterested

While this will likely be a great thread for what's currently good ROTT, there's already some great information on here. I'd recommend reading these two stickies:

Big List of Cigars

and
    Newbie Mistakes...

Both are well thought-out and full of helpful information.

Padron Annivsary, probably the best B&M cigar out there.

The x000 series are ok ROTT (the do seem to get less harsh with a little age but not remarkeably better).

Original Montecristos (brown label) if you like a milder smoke.

Quote Originally Posted by Herf N Turf View Post
    While this will likely be a great thread for what's currently good ROTT, there's already some great information on here.
    I agree that those threads contain great information and should be required reading, but I thought that this thread would be better for someone using the search function or possibly even achieve sticky status.

I'm hoping to create a one-stop place for people who are just starting their collections.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Mr. Slick's Avatar

Thanks for the link Herf
    I just read the "newbie mistakes". that could be a sticky. Some good basic information and a lot of common sense but, man is he long winded
    Why am I wasting my time talking to an A-hole like you when I could be doing something much more dangerous... like rearrageing my humidor.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish tiger187126's Avatar

every padron i've smoked seems just fine ROTT, same can be said for anejos.

illusiones too.

Thanks for all the replies so far.

I am going to start a list so that it's easier for people to quickly get a idea of what to look for.

so far we have:

1. Padron Anniversary or x000 series
    2. Arturo Fuente Anejo
    3. Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label
    4. Illusione
    5. Arturo Fuente Hemingway
    6. Montecristo - Original
    7. Nica Libre
    8. Indian Tabac
    9. Hoyo de Monterrey (NC)
    Last edited by Seasick Sailor; 01-28-2011 at 04:05 PM.

While not 'high class' Nica Libre, and any Indian Tabac will get burned right out of the CI box, I've not noticed a significant change in them after 2-3 weeks. Never had to let a Hoyo de Monterrey (NC) rest either. Just about anything else gets a rest.

Trip

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Here's a couple of other threads that have some info that might be helpful. There are also a couple in the Habanos section, but I didn't put those links here.

What is your favorite ROTT?

ROTT smoke
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Quote Originally Posted by Seasick Sailor View Post
    Thanks for all the replies so far.

I am going to start a list so that it's easier for people to quickly get a idea of what to look for.

so far we have:

1. Padron Anniversary or x000 series
    2. Arturo Fuente Anejo
    3. Don Pepin Garcia Blue Label
    4. Illusione
    5. Arturo Fuente Hemingway
    6. Montecristo - Original
    7. Nica Libre
    8. Indian Tabac
    9. Hoyo de Monterrey (NC)

Hmmmm - most of the threads I've read since hanging out around here say Padron x000 definitely smoke better with age. I hope so - the one I had ROTT was barely a "meh" on a scale of "puke" to "OMG!"

Haven't gotten around to aging any yet, so I can't say more than that.
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Los Blancos Nine - really good ROTT.

Los Blancos Sumatra - really good ROTT.

Sancho Panza Double Maduro - really good ROTT, but even better with rest.

+1 on the Sancho Panzas, haven't ordered any, but even out of the high humidity ABC's they'll smoke great

Trip

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast