Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cigars & Kids

This is a discussion on Cigars & Kids within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I have a 11-year old Son who is quite the football player, he comments that he loves the pre-lit smell ...

Cigars & Kids

I have a 11-year old Son who is quite the football player, he comments that he loves the pre-lit smell of my cigars(don't we all) but I know he is concerned with cancers. I try to explain that it is somewhat safer than cigarette smoking & I only smoke 1-2 a day & sometimes less, I also tell him there are a lot of environmental factors we don't even realize cause cancer & that not to dwell on it too much.

He'll ask some cigar related questions sometimes, he's giving vibes that he's interested in being a future cigar smoker.

Anyone have similar experiences with your children?

Re: Cigars & Kids

Hey John,

I have a 9 year old son who has asked me about smoking as well, I have told him that smoking is not good for your health, even Cigars, but I also tell him that it does help me relax. I only smoke occasionally no more than once a week and it's always outside so during the winter very few items if at all.
    The Krazy Kanuck

Craig,
    Yeah I definitely don't glamorize it and I am honest, I guess if it's a choice between the two I'd rather it be cigars. I'm sure most cigar smoking Dads envision enjoying a nice smoke with their boy at some point.

My 4 year old refers to them as "smoke cigars" and asks to see in my humidor. I try to avoid him seeing me do it, but since I usually smoke on the balcony of my apartment he tends to peek out through the blinds to see what I'm doing.

He says I stink when I come back inside, so I guess thats a good thing

Quote Originally Posted by jnewman33 View Post
    Craig,
    Yeah I definitely don't glamorize it and I am honest, I guess if it's a choice between the two I'd rather it be cigars. I'm sure most cigar smoking Dads envision enjoying a nice smoke with their boy at some point.
    Yup I agree, I see it at a special occasion like his wedding or something.
    The Krazy Kanuck

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes GrtndpwrflOZ's Avatar

Every few months this topic comes up.

I would not want my kids or grandchild smoking because I influenced them.
    Perhaps when they are older (adult) and they make that decision to smoke.
    BUT not until then.

The reason it relaxes you (cigars, cigarettes,...) is becasue of the receptors in your brain, and all that good stuff.
    It's like cocaine. in moderation it is fine. There are worse things you could be doing......yeah, SO WHAT!!!!!!
    DON'T DO IT.
    Why would anyone WANT their children to smoke...OK, I'm over reacting...or am I? Does anyone here want their kid to grow up and smoke? Anything?

I don't expect you to hold these rules true to yourself either. What you, me or our peers do is fine. We are adults.

We can mosie on over to the whole "Lying by ommision" argument now if you want.

And that is my thoughts on the matter.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader NoShhhSherlock's Avatar

considering the chemicals, gmo's and every other harmful thing we come into contact with on a daily basis, you are more likely to get cancer from those then smoking. That is why it does not bother me too much. My nephew asked me about smoking the other day so I was honest with him. He is a bright kid as it is, so I broke down the facts and told him when he is of age it is his decision. He said he did not want to smoke either way. So that is a good thing.

Maturing Puffer Fish

yah it is a bad habit of sorts, and i definitely wouldn't want to influence my kids into smoking (which is kind of inevitable if they always see you smoking). my parents don't smoke but growing up of course you get curious (especially around the teenage years) and i did smoke cigarettes for about 4 years before quitting.

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlockholms View Post
    considering the chemicals, gmo's and every other harmful thing we come into contact with on a daily basis, you are more likely to get cancer from those then smoking. That is why it does not bother me too much. My nephew asked me about smoking the other day so I was honest with him. He is a bright kid as it is, so I broke down the facts and told him when he is of age it is his decision. He said he did not want to smoke either way. So that is a good thing.
    Dead on.
    The Krazy Kanuck

Maturing Puffer Fish Mayne Street's Avatar

My dad smokes a lot of cigars and has ever since I was born. I always liked the smell and wanted to try them. He told me that when I was 18, I could make my own decision. I smoked a few machine mades from the gas station when I was 18-20, but didn't get into handmades until the last two years. It's now a hobby we share together and can trade cigars and talk about our likes and dislikes.

As for health concerns, as another poster mentioned, there are so many things that cause cancer already. Life's short, smoke it.

Don't have kids, but the increased risk of cancers from smoking 2 or less cigars per day is statically insignificant, and if smoking is kept to 1 or less per day, nicotine levels generally don't stay high enough to induce addiction. I think it's totally possible for someone to be better off smoking, if not I wouldn't do it.
    "I said 'Hey Carmen, come on, let's go downtown.'
    She said 'I gotta go, but my friend can stick around.'"

I'm about 20 to 25 years down the road from having a kid that is of smoking age. Hell, with the rate things are going, tobacco could be banned completely by then. Guess I should stock up so I can show my future son what we did back in the good old days.
    http://www.puff.com/forums/vb/image.php?type=sigpic&userid=25414&dateline=129929  7715

I was not sure about this either. But when my son turned 18 he wanted to have a cigar with his Dad. I was not going to tell him no. As has been mentioned there are worse things he could be doing and to share a cigar with your son is a great time.

Best regards, tony

This is a concern of mine also as I have two small children the oldest being 8. Both of my kids live with their mom so it easier for me to get away with Cigar time. I choose not to involve my kids with cigars cause I don't want them using tobacco products until their of age.

Newbie in the ocean

Quote Originally Posted by jnewman33 View Post
    I have a 11-year old Son who is quite the football player, he comments that he loves the pre-lit smell of my cigars(don't we all) but I know he is concerned with cancers. I try to explain that it is somewhat safer than cigarette smoking & I only smoke 1-2 a day & sometimes less, I also tell him there are a lot of environmental factors we don't even realize cause cancer & that not to dwell on it too much.

He'll ask some cigar related questions sometimes, he's giving vibes that he's interested in being a future cigar smoker.

Anyone have similar experiences with your children?

similar situation at my house. My son is the same age and is very curious. I'm honest with him about why I smoke, and we discussed the potential dangers associated with smoking, but he sees I enjoy it and loves to stick his nose in my humidor. probably will join the our tribe some day.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast