Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Cigar in a glass tube need a humidor?

This is a discussion on Cigar in a glass tube need a humidor? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I got a macanudo P.P. 1868 vintage 1997 in a glass tube and im fairly sure this is air tight ...

Cigar in a glass tube need a humidor?

I got a macanudo P.P. 1868 vintage 1997 in a glass tube and im fairly sure this is air tight with the seal and everything. But im not sure if it needs a humidor or if the glass tube is a humidor sealing in humidity and freshness by its self?
    A cigar is as good as memories that you have when you smoked it. -Raul Julia

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish carpenter's Avatar

Re: Cigar in a glass tube need a humidor?

Quote Originally Posted by cigar_lover View Post
    I got a macanudo P.P. 1868 vintage 1997 in a glass tube and im fairly sure this is air tight with the seal and everything. But im not sure if it needs a humidor or if the glass tube is a humidor sealing in humidity and freshness by its self?
    Not really sure of that myself, but i would say put it in the humidor anyways, if somehow the seal is not airtight anymore it can't hurt it.

Quote Originally Posted by carpenter View Post
    Not really sure of that myself, but i would say put it in the humidor anyways, if somehow the seal is not airtight anymore it can't hurt it.
    True thats what i was thinking. wasnt sure always nice to discuss it!
    A cigar is as good as memories that you have when you smoked it. -Raul Julia

No longer a community member.

Yes it does bro, It breathes just way slower, Aging tubes in the tube is fine it just slows the process down. I love tubos

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Just don't expose the glass tubo to light or heat...you can keep it at a relative room temp of about 70-78 and it will be fine...I've had a lot of those and kept them for a couple of years and they smoked fine.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cigary View Post
    Just don't expose the glass tubo to light or heat...you can keep it at a relative room temp of about 70-78 and it will be fine...I've had a lot of those and kept them for a couple of years and they smoked fine.
    Yup, keep them out of direct sunlight and let them sit at room temperature and they will be fine. I had a Macanudo that I forgot about that sat in a tube on my self for 8 years. I smoked it late last year... 8 years out of a humidor and it smoked just fine and actually quite well.

This only works with sealed tubes, a screw top tube will NOT hold RH for years. Those would need to be in a humidor.
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader NoShhhSherlock's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMack View Post
    Yup, keep them out of direct sunlight and let them sit at room temperature and they will be fine. I had a Macanudo that I forgot about that sat in a tube on my self for 8 years. I smoked it late last year... 8 years out of a humidor and it smoked just fine and actually quite well.

This only works with sealed tubes, a screw top tube will NOT hold RH for years. Those would need to be in a humidor.

Would a corked tubo be considered sealed?

I love tubos because i tend to like to handle them and smell them a lot. so i like the tubos for protection. but i will not store them in my wineador in tubos... just in my normal humidor i will unscrew the lids

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Cigary's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by BMack View Post

Forgot to mention that important piece of advice....SEALED is what we're talking about..no screw tops, corks ( it breathes )...and I have just about every kind of sealed cigar product and it's amazing how well they keep their freshness.

I remember when I used to buy the El Producto Queens in the glass tubes...( thought I was some aristocrat when I got those--they were actually pretty good) WTG Brian for catching that tidbit of info.
    A mind is like a parachute...it works best when it's open.

Master Illusione-a-Tatist Sarge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Sherlockholms View Post
    Would a corked tubo be considered sealed?
    no it is not. At least not enough that you can let one sit out. Someone I work with had some weird cigar in a glass tubo he brought in and gave me. He said it's been sitting around for a few years. it was actually kinda good... Anyway Id say a cork doesn't count. the cork breathes much more than other caps they might use. With a cork you definitely want to put in the humi because the cork will eat and release all the moisture otherwise...

some say I'm a dreamer... BMack's Avatar

Corks only work if the cork is sealed with wax or plastic... when in doubt => humidor.

Corks breath and shrink when they dry out, which is why wine needs to be stored laying down to keep the cork moist.
    My backyard is more humid than my humidor.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Wineador's Avatar

To check for airtight, throw it in a big bowl of water and watch for bubbles!
    JUST KIDDING!!!!!!

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Glass tubed cigars with wax sealed ends are pretty much air tight IMHO! That being said tossing it in your humidor couldn't hurt!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Full grown Puffer Fish ChiTownHustler's Avatar

I keep my glass tubbed cigars in my tupperdors. Better safe than sorry, I say

Disinterested

I got a macanudo P.P. 1868 vintage 1997 in a glass tube
    I'm having a vision!

I see....

Wait for it......

A fishing bobber

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast