Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Cigar Posing...

This is a discussion on Cigar Posing... within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Okay, the title of this thread isn't quite what you might be thinking. I'm not calling out cigar poseurs, or ...

Cigar Posing...

Okay, the title of this thread isn't quite what you might be thinking. I'm not calling out cigar poseurs, or anything.

I was sitting in my car in the parking lot at work this morning enjoying a Nub 464T Habano and as I was smoking, I realized that there was someone resting in the car beside me. They may or may not have been able to really "see" me because they had their seat laid way back.

Anyway, my posture kind of changed and I became more aware of "how" I was smoking the cigar, how I was releasing the smoke, etc.

So, I got to thinking, I see a lot of pictures of guys and gals with their smokes and they always seem to have a certain look to the way they pose for the photo. Chin up, releasing a huge cloud of smoke, cigar highly visible and I began to wonder... do we smoke differently (or have particular poses that we use) when we know others can see us smoking.

And further... do any of you guys "practice" these poses when you know no one is looking... or perhaps in front of a mirror?

Not trying to call anyone out or make fun of anyone, I'm just curious about this. I don't really pose in front of a mirror with my stogie, but I do know that I "practice" the way I hold the cigar or release the smoke when I'm by myself and I kind of try to picture the way I might look to someone while I'm smoking. I know... vanity.

Anyway, thoughts?
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin
    http://www.imagekind.com/artists/nealw6971

Elder Puffer Fish Leader primetime76's Avatar

Re: Cigar Posing...

I think that it is only natural to experiment with different "holding" techniques and differend exhale techniques...though we all know how to smoke a cigar, we are always looking for ways to improve things...make things more enjoyable. I am with you, I have never looked at myself in the mirror while smoking, nor have I practiced expressions, etc...well, not while thiniking about it but I am sure that I do all of these things as well. I feel that it is the endless pursuit of perfecting the art of smoking...though I am sure that Neal holds his cigars like one of those cigarettes that is in the long filter thing, that women smoked out of in the olden times.
    It is easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission!

Quote Originally Posted by primetime76 View Post
    I think that it is only natural to experiment with different "holding" techniques and differend exhale techniques...though we all know how to smoke a cigar, we are always looking for ways to improve things...make things more enjoyable. I am with you, I have never looked at myself in the mirror while smoking, nor have I practiced expressions, etc...well, not while thiniking about it but I am sure that I do all of these things as well. I feel that it is the endless pursuit of perfecting the art of smoking...though I am sure that Neal holds his cigars like one of those cigarettes that is in the long filter thing, that women smoked out of in the olden times.
    Actually, I practice posing as if I'm standing in front of Kipp... it's kind of like... I have the cigar in my hand and my middle finger is pointed upward... kind of like I'm flipping him off... not that I really am, mind you... I just have no control of my middle finger when Kipp's around. It sorta' looks like this >

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

This was the latest photo of Kipp smoking. He DEFINITELY was posing...

Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes GrtndpwrflOZ's Avatar

I usually throw gang signs when I smoke......

No
    Not really.

I think that people may do that when they are new and it's all novelty (like not ashing, and seeing how long you can hold an ash, when it's still "hobbyish" if ya know what I mean).
    I think after time we just cut it, light it and smoke the damn thing.
    Posturing......nahhhhhhhhh
    Too much work.

Just my opinion.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Oldmso54's Avatar

LOL - you and your llama photos David! Who has that many pictures of llamas??? OH - YOU!!

I ain't ! I'm just a little large for my size!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader David_ESM's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Oldmso54 View Post
    LOL - you and your llama photos David! Who has that many pictures of llamas??? OH - YOU!!
    I'm no fool. I do my research on my enemies... Except you. Rumor has it that having someone follow you with a camera results in some... Well... Less than desireable images...
    Sir Reverend David_ESM Esquire, Bomb Squid Extraordinaire, the all knowledgeable one, Grand Poobah, Korean Pop Hipster, Butt Dryer, Douchebag... M.D.

Quote Originally Posted by David_ESM View Post
    I'm no fool. I do my research on my enemies... Except you. Rumor has it that having someone follow you with a camera results in some... Well... Less than desireable images...
    I've heard that too... weird, huh?

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by nealw6971 View Post
    but I do know that I "practice" the way I hold the cigar or release the smoke when I'm by myself and I kind of try to picture the way I might look to someone while I'm smoking. I know... vanity.

Anyway, thoughts?
    Seek professional help!

Quote Originally Posted by waylman View Post
    Seek professional help!
    Meh. Been suggested... doesn't work. LOL.

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

Posturing is too much work. There's a pic of me smoking on my profile. Thats just how I look when I smoke. Leaning back, relaxing, and enjoying myself. Its natural to blow smoke upwards. It's natural when relaxed to tip your head up. It might look like posturing, and maybe for some it is, but to me, it's just how one naturally looks while enjoying the good life!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader primetime76's Avatar

Damn it David...that was for Llama-boy magazine and I did it ONCE! (I thought that all those pics were destroyed....)
    It is easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission!

I constantly ask ladies for use of their compact mirrors to practice my 'puff pose'. I'm actually doing it right now while typing this post, even without a cigar in my hand. It's sort of an ice breaker of mine I use to pick up the ladies.

It never works.
    The downside of being better than everyone else is that people tend to assume you're pretentious.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by akneipp View Post
    I constantly ask ladies for use of their compact mirrors to practice my 'puff pose'. I'm actually doing it right now while typing this post, even without a cigar in my hand. It's sort of an ice breaker of mine I use to pick up the ladies.

It never works.
    I find that very hard to believe.

Quote Originally Posted by primetime76 View Post
    This is my new cigar holding technique, courtesy of Kipp. LOL...

PS, Mods, if it's overly offensive, please feel free to delete it... it's meant as a joke.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast