Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Newbie question for today: Cigar side effects

This is a discussion on Newbie question for today: Cigar side effects within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Yea, me too - that sugar tricks sounds about right since I drank a soda after a puff and felt ...

Re: Newbie question for today: Cigar side effects

Yea, me too - that sugar tricks sounds about right since I drank a soda after a puff and felt fine...but then again, I didn't feel badly to begin with, so I'm not sure if that's much of an indicator. D'oh!

KASR

Pretentious.Bastge.Online Tristan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sgoselin
    The only time I ever got sick from a cigar was when I first starting smoking ISOM's.
    Yes, sometimes cigars that are super strong can make me feel a little queezy. I think it's because they have a lot more nicotine then I'm used to.

I've heard it said that when people throw up it's nicotine poisoning to a point, because it's an overload. Could be BS; not sure!

So long...

Quote Originally Posted by Ermo
    The only side effect I have is a large credit card bill every month.

Can I get an AMEN!!!

Another thing that hasn't been mentioned:

I find myself sometimes getting a buzz off of a cigar that is not considered a full strength cigar, yet many times I won't get a buzz off of a supposedly heavier cigar.

Not only does this have to do with eating times but for me I think there is something to do with flavour. I know when I enjoy a cigar more flavour wise I tend to take the smoke a bit deeper and hold it in my mouth a bit longer, which I think would let you absorb more nicotine.

For example- I had a JdN Antono that I didn't really care for flavour wise and I didn't get a buzz, although that is supposed to be a pretty hefty cigar strength wise. This was probably 2 hours after a meal. A few weeks later I smoked a La Veija Habana Fuma and really enjoyed the flavour at the time. I got a buzz. So go figure!
    -Trent-
    http://i71.photobucket.com/albums/i123/TechMetalMan/Siglo-I-chb.jpg
    "Smoking is indispensable if one has nothing to kiss." Sigmund Freud

Puffer Fish with some spikes sirwood's Avatar

Yep - I do get a nicotine 'buzz'. The amount depends on the type/size of the cigar, if I have a full stomach, etc.

I have heard of the 'sugar trick' before & I think it works! However, most references I have seen indicate you have to have the sugar before you start to feel ill. By that time, it is too late for sugar to have any immediate effects. So if I know I am going to smoke a (large) cigar, I may plan to have desert with my meal or have a sugary drink prior to smoking.

The sugary rumor might be the reason port wine goes so well with my stogies. There just might be something to it!

KASR

Young Puffer Fish

Inhaling enough smoke, whether intentionally or not, will cause light-headedness, dizziness, and (for some) a euphoric buzz. The lungs allow nicotine an easy passage directly into the bloodstream, where the nicotine can quickly move to and act on the brain.

Ingesting enough nicotine orally upsets the stomach and can cause nausea. Generally, this comes from your saliva coming into contact with the nicotine-loaded tar (and smoke, to an extent) that forms at the head of the cigar, which then works its way to your stomach.

To avoid a head-buzz, don't inhale and smoke in an a well ventilated area.

To avoid an upset stomach, keep your saliva away from the cigar and avoid swallowing your saliva. Also, ingesting other things prior to or during smoking can keep the ingested nicotine diluted enough to prevent upset stomach.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Hopefully it'll clear up some confusion.

the times that i get lite headed is when i don't have anything to eat and smoke...or when i drink to much coffee and have a smoke.
    [SIZE="4"]Oklahoma.......Like the musical without all the singing.[/SIZE]

Quote Originally Posted by Digerati
    Inhaling enough smoke, whether intentionally or not, will cause light-headedness, dizziness, and (for some) a euphoric buzz. The lungs allow nicotine an easy passage directly into the bloodstream, where the nicotine can quickly move to and act on the brain.

Ingesting enough nicotine orally upsets the stomach and can cause nausea. Generally, this comes from your saliva coming into contact with the nicotine-loaded tar (and smoke, to an extent) that forms at the head of the cigar, which then works its way to your stomach.

To avoid a head-buzz, don't inhale and smoke in an a well ventilated area.

To avoid an upset stomach, keep your saliva away from the cigar and avoid swallowing your saliva. Also, ingesting other things prior to or during smoking can keep the ingested nicotine diluted enough to prevent upset stomach.

Sorry for the long-winded post. Hopefully it'll clear up some confusion.
    Most excellent - thanks for the 411 and advice! I'll put these into practice and see what happens.

KASR

Young Fish

Hmm...

The lungs of a person who inhales their cigars must be a sight to behold. I know that if I inhale even a small amount, I begin to cough.

And I was a 2 pack a day smoker for years..
    [SIZE="5"]PeteTheRed[/SIZE]
    RareOak.com
    [SIZE="2"]"May all that follows be better then that which came before" - New Lithuanian Proverb[/SIZE]

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish LT Rich's Avatar

I had heard something about ammonia being part of the aging process of tobacco. THe leaves "breath" ammonia as they ferment. Well some ammonia is still left in the leaves when it is rolled and continues to be released. 90% of the ammonia is released in the first year after a cigar is rolled.

So the moral of the story is that if you were to get a cigar that is rolled early and then smoked too soon you end up ingesting a lot of that ammonia. This ammonia can then make you sick or give you a buzz... on top of the effects of the niccotine.

I dont know how much of this is actual fact, but it seems to explain why some "medium" cigars pack more of a punch then their full bodied brothers. So in conclusion let a cigar sit longer if you smoke one of its fellow "box brothers" and found that it made you sick.

LT
    Last edited by LT Rich; 08-10-2006 at 08:15 PM.

I might watch Spike TV Beagle Boy's Avatar

What about smoking a cigar during its sick period? Iíve noticed that even the next morning my throat can be a bit sore and swollen when I've gotten a bit of ammonia off a not fully aged stick

Quote Originally Posted by BP22

Can I get an AMEN!!!
    AMEN........I get a buzz smoking on an empty stomach, and sick if I eat the nub. ...ok, I've been told "DON'T DO THAT FOOL".
    Dave
    Gone for awhile.

I WAS ALWAYS TAUGHT TO RESPECT MY ELDERS.... NOW I DON'T HAVE ANYONE TO
    RESPECT!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader ca21455's Avatar

I am a one-a-day light weight, full bodied cigar junky. Pretty much get a nice feeling after a smoke (buzz) and am disappointed if I don't.
    Got sick once smoking an AF, was on a full stomach washed done with plenty of rum. Don't know if it was the food, drink, cigar or running around. Anyway it was fun, (except for the yak-yak).
    If it feels good do it.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Ammonia is used in the process of cultivating the plant. Tobacco farmers use ammonia as one of the chemicals to keep pest off of the tobacco. If you ever go to a tobacco farm you can smell ammonia all over.

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast