Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Sucker For Cheap Tobacco?

This is a discussion on Sucker For Cheap Tobacco? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I have a cigar buddy at work and we often exchange cigars. He'll drop some off on my desk and ...

Puffer Fish with many spikes

Sucker For Cheap Tobacco?

I have a cigar buddy at work and we often exchange cigars. He'll drop some off on my desk and I'll return the favor later at some random time. He usually smokes cheap bundled cigars from Thompson and CI and I usually smoke more "mid-shelf" stuff usually. I'll give him Illusiones, La Flors, 601s, Don Pepins, A.J. Fernandez stuff etc and he's always like "that one was ok"...yet he goes crazy over these $1.50 no-name bundled cigars. I wonder if some people just have a taste for cheap tobacco...or maybe his taste buds can't really tell the difference? Do you any of you know anyone like that? I'm pretty sure if you gave me an unbanded Thomson house brand cigar and an unbanded Illusione I could tell the difference.

Scotch & Cigars

Re: Sucker For Cheap Tobacco?

Some people just enjoy them, my next door neighbor has been smoking no name, no band bundles for years, every time I see him he has one hanging off his lip.

Talking Re: Sucker For Cheap Tobacco?

I love a good Mr. B Maduro, but you wont see me pick one over a nice Oliva!

Keeper of the Cheaper snagstangl's Avatar

i think there is a thread kinda like this. Is life to short for cheap cigars? Ive said it before, but my expectations for a 5, 6, 7 dollar is high. So if I find a cheapy that tastes good to me, and i would want to smoke again in some ways it is better. Maybe 3 good cigars are equal to one great cigar for him? It tends to be this way for me i think, but i have good smokes, and I am trying to actually smoke them. Just a thought on perspective for this guy.
    Why doesn't everyone think I'm as funny as I do, it must be them.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish smokin_dad's Avatar

My buddy is the same way. Lives and and dies for Oliveros Classic! He will try other name brands, but insist that he loves in Oliveros more!!! It's crazy, but whatever floats you boat!!

It's funny, my father in law was the same way but he is coming around (very) slowly. When I met him about 4 years ago he was smoking Don Elias etc. (50 for $50!). Since then, he has graduated to Monster Maduros and similar samplers from CI. He'll smoke the occasional Opus that I give him for his bday and really enjoys them.

I think with the guy I was talking about originally, price is a big factor. Some people just REFUSE to pay more than $2 per stick. It's a value thing. I don't mind paying more. I'm not the kind of guy who usually pays $10+ per stick because I smoke a lot (1 or 2 per day) and I like to have a decent-sized supply but I am willing to pay $3-$6 because you seem to get a HUGE jump in quality when you go from $1-$2 to $3-$6 (in MOST but not all cases).

Price used to be a big factor for me as well. I coudn't afford 5-6 dollar smokes every night and several on the weekend so I was smoking cheap bundled cigars, which believe it or not weren't that bad. Now that I only smoke 1 during the week and 1 Saturday and 1 Sunday, I don't have a problem spending a little more because they last a hell of a lot longer! That and I think I have learned to appreciate "higher quality" smokes!

Yeah the funny thing about my father-in-law, is that he's not really an extremely frequent smoker. He basically doesn't smoke during the winter (5-6 months of the year here) and he smokes maybe 1-2 per week during the summer. I don't know why you would want to buy 50 Don Elias to smoke once a week and have it last 2 years. If I smoked about, say, 50 cigars a year, YOU BET I would be smoking mostly Opus X, Anejo, Padron Anniversaries, 1926, 80th, Family Reserve, Liga Privadas, Litto Gomez Small Batch, etc. etc.

But, alas, I smoke a lot more often than that and I can't afford $1000+ per month in cigars, so I just settle for my $150-$200 per month and do the best I can with it and sometime blow a huge wad when I get a windfall about once a year.

Quote Originally Posted by QiCultivator View Post
    Yeah the funny thing about my father-in-law, is that he's not really an extremely frequent smoker. He basically doesn't smoke during the winter (5-6 months of the year here) and he smokes maybe 1-2 per week during the summer. I don't know why you would want to buy 50 Don Elias to smoke once a week and have it last 2 years. If I smoked about, say, 50 cigars a year, YOU BET I would be smoking mostly Opus X, Anejo, Padron Anniversaries, 1926, 80th, Family Reserve, Liga Privadas, Litto Gomez Small Batch, etc. etc.

But, alas, I smoke a lot more often than that and I can't afford $1000+ per month in cigars, so I just settle for my $150-$200 per month and do the best I can with it and sometime blow a huge wad when I get a windfall about once a year.
    I couldn't agree more! I add to my collection monthly!

How do you store your cigars in comparison to how he stores his? Perhaps he enjoys/(is used to) a different RH than what you store yours at and his taste buds are used to it. I would suggest gifting him a better cigar again and have him store it in his humi for a couple of weeks and then smoke it and report back?

get him some Gran habano Vintage 2002. He might like the price and the smoke.
    I wish I could write as mysterious as a cat.
    Edgar Allan Poe

Quote Originally Posted by Grimalkin View Post
    How do you store your cigars in comparison to how he stores his? Perhaps he enjoys/(is used to) a different RH than what you store yours at and his taste buds are used to it. I would suggest gifting him a better cigar again and have him store it in his humi for a couple of weeks and then smoke it and report back?
    He stores his cigars in his car front seat and trunk...claims he has no problems. I told him it could be called his "trunkador"...
    I think the temperature and humidity fluctuate all over the place.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg View Post
    .....Don Elias is one of the worst cigars I have ever smoked. Aside from Perdomo2 Milenario Cameroon Torpedo and Hesitant Pirate, it is the only cigar I can recall simply trashing.

.....and GH Vintage 2002 is JUST ONE of dozens of great tasting smokes you can get for under $2per at Cigar Bid all the time. No need to settle for cigars that lack in good flavor. Add Gran Habano 3 SLS & Azteca, La Perla Habana Black Pearl, Classic, Morado, Cobre, Rojo, Mark Twain, Reposado '96, 5 Vegas Classic, Perdomo Slow-Aged Maduro, La Herencia Cubana, and Nica Libre just to name a few. And if you dip into samplers you can get Cohiba, Man O War Armada, Ruination, Ave Maria, Padilla Miami & Serie '68, Punch Upper-Cut, CAO Italia, CAO Brazilia, Padilla Signature 1932, Gurkha Legend Vintage 2001, Diesel, La Herencia Cubana Core just to name a few for $3per, most for less, every night samplers close. Why anyone would settle for "Cheap" tobacco is beyond my comprehension. Only logical answer I can come up with is they just don't care.

Quote Originally Posted by Firedawg View Post
    Being fairly new to cigars I am trying to get some sticks that are cheaper but still good as I am trying to figure out what I like. I have read quite a bit about these and think these will be a good one for me to try!

Does anyone know if smokingpipes.com ever stocks these?

I have a pipe tobacco order that I have been putting together and would like to piggy back these on that order if I can to save on shipping. I saw some other Gran Habano cigars on there but not these.

No, they don't carry them. I've only seen them at CI and cigar.com; I assumed it was an exclusive for them, but have no proof of that. Anyone know?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast