Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Ring gauge preferences

This is a discussion on Ring gauge preferences within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; So I feel like there is some hate for the large ring gauge trend that has taken place in the ...

Ring gauge preferences

So I feel like there is some hate for the large ring gauge trend that has taken place in the cigar industry. Personally I like the larger ring gauges. I feel like I get a cooler draw and enjoy the flavors a little more. What are some of your reasons for preferring certain ring gauges?

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Re: Ring gauge preferences

I tend to prefer smaller ring gauges under 50. I feel the burn tends to be better, it's still easy to get cool smoke by sipping, and honestly the best cigars I've had are smaller gauges.

I dont mind the 58-60 ring gauges but dont prefer them. I tend to pick sticks up in the 52-56 ring size. I know I do not like anything on the small end either. Reminds me of someone smoking a swisher sweet or something

i am half and half... in some cigars I like them better with a larger o r smaller ring gauge. And it also depends on how much time I have to smoke.... I have had 60 ring gauge 4 1/2 sticks that take longer to smoke than a 48 ring gauge 7 inch churchill.

My personal preference is less than 50 for my every day smokes. Anything bigger I normally save for trying something new, or when I am in a funky mood.

i am half and half... in some cigars I like them better with a larger o r smaller ring gauge. And it also depends on how much time I have to smoke.... I have had 60 ring gauge 4 1/2 sticks that take longer to smoke than a 48 ring gauge 7 inch churchill.

My personal preference is less than 50 for my every day smokes. Anything bigger I normally save for trying something new, or when I am in a funky mood.

Puffer Fish with many spikes

Years ago cigars leaned toward smaller with the norm being around a 40 or so. In the 1990's during the cigar exsplosion people were clammering for the larger sizes. I think it was a matter of impressing others more than anything. Since then this has tapered off and people smoke larger sizes for their smoking characteristics. And most lately i'm seeing a recurrence of the smaller sizes which i'm glad to see and hope more manufactuers will start making more varietys in them.For me it depends on the circumstances. I lean toward a smaller gauge for an everyday smoke say between 34-44. In our on the go society larger than this isn't very practical and like a plate of food I find this fills me up. But on special occasions just like a big meal at Thanksgiving I like a larger size....between 48-54 but I never smoke or haven't so far smoked larger than that. And I agree with Brent, the smaller sizes seem to be more flavorful. I think because your done with them before you've smoked too much at one time. Just like over eating vs eating just enough.
    The best cigar I ever smoked will be the next one I try.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Love my diesel UC's at 56 but that's about the largest I buy anymore. Not saying I don't try some of the larger rg cigars out there but most of the time I'm looking in the 42-48 range.
    I like the way they burn better, the flavor I get from the cigar at those sizes and they're easier to hold in my mouth.
    I try most lines in cigars to see what size I like, and the majority of the ones I try I prefer the smaller rg.

Puffer Fish with many spikes

During the spring and summer months I tend to smoke larger RG cigars because they last longer but keep in mind, I'm talking 50-54, not 58-60. In the winter I tend to stick to 42-46 because they are a quicker smoke and I also like the intensity of flavor you get from smaller rg smokes. Below 42 (like 38-40) and I start to worry about the draw and I am not a HUGE fan of sipping because I like to take large puffs and get a lot of smoke. I haven't had many problems with 42-46 getting hot or bitter.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

For me, it is totally dependent on the blend.

In general, when I am not reviewing, I only smoke cigars between 32-46 RG, but there are some cigars that I like better in larger RG, albeit not many.

If I could only have 4 different vitolas for the rest of my life, they would be Lancero (3, Corona (42 RG), Corona Gorda (46 RG) and Lonsdale (44 RG).

Win
    Puffer Fish with some spikes Win's Avatar

I had to go check some RGs for what I smoke. Seems I have some in 46-48 most are 50 and above. I've never tried a 40-46 or a 58-60, maybe I should get out more.

Explorer of fine things.. Quine's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Brookswphoto View Post
    If I could only have 4 different vitolas for the rest of my life, they would be Lancero (3, Corona (42 RG), Corona Gorda (46 RG) and Lonsdale (44 RG).
    These above are my preferences too, though I'd also add in the 50 RG standard robustos. There are some smokes like the D.E. Undercrown "robusto" that don't come smaller than 54 and I buy them because I love the blend, but I do wish they would produce a smaller RG version...
    ...and a woman is only a woman, but a good cigar is a smoke! -- Rudyard Kipling "The Betrothed"

Usually I prefer a RG of around 48 to 52. I had no reasoning for this other than its what I like.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish bazookajoe8's Avatar

i like the lancero ring gauge the best. the biggest i usually smoke is probably 52. anything bigger i dont really go for

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by Quine View Post
    These above are my preferences too, though I'd also add in the 50 RG standard robustos. There are some smokes like the D.E. Undercrown "robusto" that don't come smaller than 54 and I buy them because I love the blend, but I do wish they would produce a smaller RG version...
    Ask and you shall receive

The Undercrown Corona Gorda (Called the Corona íViva!) is being released this month, and is the best of the line, IMHO...

For me the only factors regarding ring gauge that I consider are - how long do I have/want to smoke and how the cigar feels in my hand and mouth.
    For those reason I typically stick with smaller ring gauges. I like the easy handling, it is easier to read a book with a smaller stick, takes less time lighting and if i want a longer smoke a choose a longer stick.
    Like Chris said above - some 4.5in x60 take as long as a 7x48 if not longer and I just enjoy the feeling of a smaller RG cigar.

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast