Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Larger ring gauge

This is a discussion on Larger ring gauge within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; With all the talk of smaller ring gauges being the more desired, I found this article kind of funny. Inching ...

Semper Fidelis

Larger ring gauge

With all the talk of smaller ring gauges being the more desired, I found this article kind of funny.

Inching Up: Thicker Smoke From Ernesto Perez-Carrillo | News & Features | Cigar Aficionado

Puffer Fish with many spikes

Re: Larger ring gauge

I do like that Carrillo offers a no. 4 (5x42 I think) in his core lines. That is something I would like to see from more manufacturers. I wish everyone would do that.

I am pretty much done with the big 54 ring smokes, seems like they like to fall apart half way though.. From now on 48 to 50 is as big as I go.

Jerry in Minnesota.
    Proud Past Rider Of The Short Bus...

I can tell you without a doubt, that smaller ring has more flavor. My manufacturers do their blending as a corona or a robusto. More wrapper to filler ratio, more flavor. However we also make large ring gauge because a lot of people's perception is that the more tobacco, the better the value. So we do offer up to a 58 in La Palina and 720-4, 60 in Kristoff and 64 in Berger & Argenti.

I personally, smoke lancero (38-40rg), petite corona (40-42rg), and robusto/toro (50-54rg). I don't care for 60rg very much.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader piperdown's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cigar Man Andy View Post
    I can tell you without a doubt, that smaller ring has more flavor. My manufacturers do their blending as a corona or a robusto. More wrapper to filler ratio, more flavor. However we also make large ring gauge because a lot of people's perception is that the more tobacco, the better the value. So we do offer up to a 58 in La Palina and 720-4, 60 in Kristoff and 64 in Berger & Argenti.

I personally, smoke lancero (38-40rg), petite corona (40-42rg), and robusto/toro (50-54rg). I don't care for 60rg very much.
    Andy, I'll tell you right now I'm enjoying the smaller Kristoff offerings. Picked up some at Fidel's in Westport MO couple weeks ago. Kristoff is what brought me back to cigars years ago.

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim32 View Post
    With all the talk of smaller ring gauges being the more desired, I found this article kind of funny.

Inching Up: Thicker Smoke From Ernesto Perez-Carrillo | News & Features | Cigar Aficionado
    I'm starting to like the E.P. Carrillo, but this kinda disappoints me. He must be listening to the general populous and not so much to the people that really care for the taste of the cigar.

As long as EPC keeps pumping out sub-50RG cigars, I'll be okay. The New Wave Stellas and the Core Line & Maduro No. 4 are great cigars. The Short Run 2011 Bombones (I think that is the name) was pushing my limits at 50RG!
    Never trust anyone over 30.

I'll stick to the thinner ones thank you very much. It would be interesting to know who is asking the B&Ms for these monstrosities.
    “ I believe in courtesy, the ritual by which we avoid hurting other people's feelings by satisfying our own egos. ”— Kenneth Clark

Quote Originally Posted by piperdown View Post
    Andy, I'll tell you right now I'm enjoying the smaller Kristoff offerings. Picked up some at Fidel's in Westport MO couple weeks ago. Kristoff is what brought me back to cigars years ago.

Thank you. I will pass that on to Glen. He likes hearing statements like yours.

Quote Originally Posted by Tman View Post
    I'm starting to like the E.P. Carrillo, but this kinda disappoints me. He must be listening to the general populous and not so much to the people that really care for the taste of the cigar.

Ernie makes a great stick and told me in 09, that he wanted to only make the short run in the original robust cause he couldn't duplicate the flavor in other sizes, but the people spoke...

Like I always say " Smoke what you like and like what you smoke... You have to try different cigars. If you like it, smoke it.

I had a 5 Vegas Gold 60 last weekend and today grabbed a 50. The 60 was soooo smooth.....sweet. Maybe it was just today but the 50 did not do it for me and both have been sitting for a few mos at about 64-65%. Was just looking for a cheap smoke as my allergies are all messed up right now, something I would not worry about finishing. But that 60 was nice.

Puffer Fish with some spikes ryanbish's Avatar

I usually smoke a 50-54 ring size. Anything above that and I have to figure out how to unlock my jaw to keep it in my mouth.

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

To me it only makes sense for those monster size ring gauges to come in a torpedo/pyramide/belicoso/perfecto shape for the sole purpose of making it easier to fit in one's mouth. Otherwise you do experience lockjaw, and who the heck can enjoy their cigar in that kind of discomfort!?
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

Young Puffer Fish

I tried the Jaime Garcia Super Gordo 5 3/4 x 66 last weekend. I'm a big fan of NUBs so I thought what the hell, why not. I was pleasantly surprised.

Semper Fidelis

Quote Originally Posted by DarrelMorris View Post
    I'll stick to the thinner ones thank you very much. It would be interesting to know who is asking the B&Ms for these monstrosities.
    That's kind of the reason I posted. I don't see tons and tons of people smoking huge ring gauge cigars. And from reading on this board, it seems the majority truly love the smaller sticks. So who exactly are the reps talking to that say they want bigger gauge cigars?

Maybe Andy can shed some light on it...

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by slimjim32 View Post

Thanks!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast