Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Difference between pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco?

This is a discussion on Difference between pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; I sometimes hear of people saying they 'smoked the rest of the cigar in a pipe' and it got me ...

Maturing Puffer Fish

Difference between pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco?

I sometimes hear of people saying they 'smoked the rest of the cigar in a pipe' and it got me thinking. What's the difference between pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco. To me, pipe tobacco has a very different aroma and is very distinguishable compared to cigars. Are most pipe tobaccos infused? What gives each their distinct aroma?
    Thanks

Disinterested

Re: Difference between pipe tobacco and cigar tobacco?

Several decades ago, I was told that the pecking order of tobacco was as follows:

1) Cigars get the best. They are rolled from whole leaves and those leaves are selected only from the very finest. The rest go to brokers.

2) Pipes are second on the list. Pipe tobacco is made up of high-quality leaf that is flawed to the point of being unsuitable for cigars.

3) Un-cut chewing tobacco is often made up of the leaves the pipe tobacco buyers don't buy off the brokers.

4) Dip and snuff are made up of the rejects from all the above.

5) Cigarettes. Commercial cigarettes aren't really made of tobacco, per say, but rather from clippings and grinds. They are then rinsed and a tobacco wort, or soup, is made. This wort is then sprayed onto plant emulsion (like paper) and then flavored and sliced up to resemble tobacco.

Yes, many pipe tobaccos are flavored using various methods, including infusion. More extensive fermentation is also employed in producing many fine pipe blends; far more than you'd see in a premium cigar.

MWM's King of Funk Brettanomyces's Avatar

Tobaccos for use in pipes also seems to be grown in different regions, sometimes using different strains (as far as I can tell). Virginia, Burley, and the various Oriental leaves (including latakia) all seem to be leaves that aren't commonly used in cigars, unless they just go by different names after a different curing process.

While it's true that more flavored (i.e., cased) pipe tobacco is sold than unflavored, it's also true that infused cigars sell better, overall, than unflavored ones. That doesn't mean most of these blends are the best, just what the casual smoker likes. As a long time piper integrating cigars into the mix this past year, I can say that they do have a different flavor, and I needed to educate my palate to be able to appreciate them. I'm sure the piping helped the process, but it's not as though one hobby gives you everything you need to enjoy the other.

Maturing Puffer Fish

Great info, thanks!