Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Montecristo vs. Cohiba - Which should I purchase?

This is a discussion on Montecristo vs. Cohiba - Which should I purchase? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hello everyone, I just got my first humidor for Christmas, but haven't put in any cigars. I will be heading ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Montecristo vs. Cohiba - Which should I purchase?

Hello everyone, I just got my first humidor for Christmas, but haven't put in any cigars. I will be heading out soon to get a box and was wondering what everyones thoughts were on Montecristo Reserva Negras vs. Cohiba Puro Dominicanas.

Re: Montecristo vs. Cohiba - Which should I purchase?

Congrats on the new humi and welcome to Puff. Take some time to read up on humidor seasoning and some other accessory posts. That way youre not investing too much to get upset when things are going south.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

Puffer Fish with some spikes Justjosh's Avatar

First, welcome aboard. You can introduce yourself in the Noobie welcome thread so people can get to know you.

Secondly, make sure you season your humidor properly before introducing your cigars.

I personally have not had the Cohiba, but the Monte Cristo Negra is a good stick.

I wouldnt buy an entire box off the bat

Ok haha, sorry about posting it here I didn't know there was a newbie area, i'll check it out. Thanks for the tips

Quote Originally Posted by RSTAD View Post
    Ok haha, sorry about posting it here I didn't know there was a newbie area, i'll check it out. Thanks for the tips
    Sorry, wasn't telling you not to post here. This is a perfectly fine place for a question about cigars in my opinion.

Was just pointing out the noob forum as well.

I'm not entirely sure of each of those cigars. I'd say the Fuente 858s (maduro, sungrown, natural) are all box worthy cigars and wont break the bank.
    Strength does not come from physical capacity. It comes from an indomitable will.

My local tobacconist suggested the 858's as well, they look like a really high quality stick for the price.

Maturing Puffer Fish Maverick7232's Avatar

Hello everyone, I just got my first humidor for Christmas, but haven't put in any cigars. I will be heading out soon to get a box and was wondering what everyones thoughts were on Montecristo Reserva Negras vs. Cohiba Puro Dominicanas.
    First off I wouldn't buy a box of anything just yet. I would sample everything to figure out your preference and keep a couple of them in your humi. AF 858 is a good stick that you should try, in both nat and maduro. I used to love the Punch line when I first started out and bought a ton of it but now I prefer Liga Privada and AF Anejos

If you are set on these two buy one of each, I've tried a Monti #2 white(I think) and a couple of Cohiba's and I prefer the Cohiba's.
    Last edited by Maverick7232; 01-02-2013 at 10:11 PM.

Quote Originally Posted by Maverick7232 View Post
    If you set on these two buy one of each, I've tried a Monti #2 white(I think) and a couple of Cohiba's and I prefer the Cohiba's.
    The Monti White, and the Reserva Negra are COMPLETELY different animals

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

I would say neither. If you are first starting out you need to buy samplers. IMHO those cigars have a big name and the price does not match the enjoyability of a cigar. Thats just my thoughts. With that said you at least need to buy a couple sticks before buying a box. Sometimes you get a bad stick from a box (plugged or burn issues). Read some reviews and see if that flavor profile meets your tastes. But you dont always have to believe one's tastes from another. The beauty of this hobby is that you try many different cigars and let it take you on a journey.

Quote Originally Posted by Justjosh View Post
    The Monti White, and the Reserva Negra are COMPLETELY different animals
    Never had a Negra Monti but looking at it I might give one a try as I like the maddies lately

Ok, I'll look into some good samplers then. Thanks for the reply. By the way, is there a way to stop getting emails when someone replies to a post (my phone keeps buzzing and I gotta get to bed for school tomorrow)

Ok, I'll look into some good samplers then. Thanks for the reply. By the way, is there a way to stop getting emails when someone replies to a post (my phone keeps buzzing and I gotta get to bed for school tomorrow)
    LOL, in the email hit the unsubscribe link and it will stop updating you after every reply.

First off welcome to puff!

Second I reccomend that you do not buy any cigar in bulk right now! Try some samplers or singles of some cigars you are interested in. This will save you from the disappointment of not liking the other 24 cigars in a box and the frustration of being stuck with them!

You will find the more you smoke your pallet will change (some change faster than others) and what you like right now you won't like in a month or two. Start off slow with some singles/fivers and then enjoy the slide down the slope from there!
    "A fine cigar should fall apart in your hands like a neurotic woman!" - Fernando

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

My advice:
    1. Avoid any cigar that has a Cuban counterpart. In general, they're not great, and you can find plenty of better cigars for the money.
    2. For all cigars you're considering, buy a single. If you like it, buy three more. If you like them, buy five more. If you still absolutely love them, then and only then get a box.
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast