Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Noob in need of help :/

This is a discussion on Noob in need of help :/ within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Hello all, I have been smoking for about a year now. Finally decided to get a humidor about a week ...

Newbie in the ocean

Question Noob in need of help :/

Hello all,
    I have been smoking for about a year now. Finally decided to get a humidor about a week ago from a cigar website. It came and I seasoned it a few days ago. After calibrating a digital hygrometer that I bought for it I stuck the cigars that came with the humidor (24 in total) in to see what the humidity did. The first night the sticks were inside the just seasoned humidor was reading in the mid 80's on humidity. Worried I opened the lid a few times that night and kept it open for a few minutes at a time. By the next morning the numbers were in the mid 70's so I wasn't too concerned. This morning on day 3 the humidor is sticking around 65% and 70 degrees. I was looking at the cigars through the glass however and I noticed all of them have small fuzzy hairs on the wrapper. I hadn't noticed this when I put the cigars in but honestly I didn't look at them too much. Do I have mold? I didn't think the day or so above 70% humidity would lead to mold or beetles. The fuzz doesn't really look like mold either, but I know it can't be plume either. It's just small fuzz located along the entire wrapper of both types of cigars in the box. Seems too spread out to be mold. I have some pictures of the fuzz. What do you guys think? Did I ruin the first collection I have by being a noob with too little patience? :/ It should also be mentioned that the fuzz is very shiny, I didn't even notice without shining a flashlight on the wrapper. What do I have here? Noob in need of help :/-ryjfuzzgood.jpgNoob in need of help :/-ryj-fuzz.jpgNoob in need of help :/-moldorblume.jpgNoob in need of help :/-fuzz.jpg

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Re: Noob in need of help :/

Just a little hair... Shave it, smoke it, enjoy it.

You don't have to shave it, really though, don't...
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Maturing Puffer Fish SteveSatch's Avatar

Looks OK to me

Maturing Puffer Fish

Looks normal to me - can barely see a piece of "fuzz" in the 3rd and 4th photo but can't tell if its just wrapper or maybe some lint in your humi?

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Some wrappers are a little hairy. This is normal...
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Agree with others, no problem that I see. Smoke em up.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

I think its probably just the small pieces of the wrapper "fuzz" that have picked up a little extra humidity. If your worried though, you can always send me one and I'll smoke it to tell ya if its still O.K.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Nature's Avatar

Electrostatically charged differences from humidity variations turned these into lint rollers.

JK
    Actually they look fine; I think they call this "tooth" on a wrapper.
    Some have more than others. Just texture of the wrapper.
    Light 'em up and enjoy. No worries.

Newbie in the ocean

Thanks all, I was hoping it was just some kind of lint. It's not the tooth because these hairs stick up a quite a ways on some of them. I thought I had noticed what looked like a piece of sponge in the ziploc the company sent them in, I'm thinking now it's just lint of some kind. The humidity must have just stuck it up more because I didn't notice it when they arrived. Oh well. Just some first time humidor anxiety...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Nothing to worry about. Looks like dust or other stuff floating around on the air that settled on your sticks while your humi was open. Smoke'em and enjoy.
    Every hand is a winner and every hand is a loser.

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Is that the Macanudo / RyJ humidor combo?

Smoke them bad boys.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Puffer Fish with some spikes jb2jb's Avatar

They are fine bro.Wipe them off if it bothers you. 65% & 70 is really what you should keep your new humidor at. Enjoy your new toy because soon you will have more humidors.LOL Also welcome to puff enjoy.....

Maybe I'm viewing it wrong but to me that looks like "tooth" in the wrapper, especially in the first pic. Nothing to worry about at all.
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

Shave those suckers! 5'o clock shadow.