Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast

Young Cigar Enthusiasts...Anyone esle get dirty looks at the Cigar Store?

This is a discussion on Young Cigar Enthusiasts...Anyone esle get dirty looks at the Cigar Store? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; What's up everyone, I turned 18 just over 5 months ago and was just wondering if anyone else noticed this. ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Young Cigar Enthusiasts...Anyone esle get dirty looks at the Cigar Store?

What's up everyone, I turned 18 just over 5 months ago and was just wondering if anyone else noticed this. Whenever I walk into a new cigar store I ALWAYS get dirty looks. After the cashier cards me he usually talks to me like I'm a total idiot. However, I always like replying with some good cigar aficionado terminology (most of the cashiers will just shut up then and get me a manager because they have no idea what I'm talking about). It's just surprising to me that more people aren't accepting of cigars and younger smokers. They just group us in with cigarette smokers, and I have never even touched a cigarette.

Re: Young Cigar Enthusiasts...Anyone esle get dirty looks at the Cigar Store?

I'm 29, and I still get it at some stores. Most give me a look more because they don't know me and there's plenty of people who have no idea what they're doing in a b/m more so than my being younger.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ezlevor's Avatar

Never. I just turned 27, and a friend and I went to our shop last weekend to buy pipes and start down that slope. We had the older man behind the counter come over to their pipe room, show and tell us about all their house blends of tobacco, show us how to properly pack and light a pipe, and was really helpful, and friendly. It was by far the best experience I've had at any store of any sort. Even when I was younger, the employees were always helpful and listened to what I needed/wanted.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

I did get "the look" from the guy behind the counter and the regular denizens of the lounge at my local B&M the first few times I went in there, but now I just get a "hey hows it going" when I come in the door. I would recommend just popping in reasonably regularly and chatting with the people there. Soon they will understand that you are just a fellow BOTL and (as long as they aren't just A-Holes) be just as welcoming to you as any other regular customer. It just may take a little time because (and I am guilty of this judgement myself sometimes) they see a young kid that may just be into cigars for the image and not the love.

No longer a community member.

I'm not saying that it is right, but I think a number of people view very young (18 to early 20s) cigar smokers as simply being "trend chasers" who are simply trying to be hip to the latest thing. I got similar looks when I began pipe smoking but after a few years people translated my longevity as meaning I had a sincere interest in the hobby. Sometimes people are wary of newcomers because they fear impostors but time separates the fair-weather smokers from the rest. Like I said- it isn't the approach I take with younger smokers, but I know it exists.

Full grown Puffer Fish TopsiderLXI's Avatar

Not that I can think of. I never get carded either. If they ask what I am after I give a very specific answer so
    1. They don't treat me like a child
    2. Will give me some space too look around!
    Here, have a cigar. Light it up and be somebody.

Being younger, 26, I sometimes get looks like I don't belong there with all the older guys. Okay with me though, I'm very content to do my own thing and just browse at my leisure, and ask questions if I have any. I like this more than the guys that stick to your shoulder the whole time.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by zgnombies View Post
    I like this more than the guys that stick to your shoulder the whole time.
    And that goes for any shopping for me. I hate being hounded through a store when I am just trying to find something that catches my eye. LEAVE ME ALONE!!! I will ask for help if I need it... trust me...

Hmm......can't say I ever have I guess.

I remember my first trip into a B&M with intent to buy.

Me and a buddy my same age (18 ) went in and the owner was there, He was an older fellow.

He chatted with us and made some recommendations for us and gave us tips even.

He gave me some matches and a cutter for free. That was my very first experience buying at a B&M.

I got a real BOTL my first time.

I think you might be getting some economic prejudice. Happens to me too when it's dirty shop clothes. They don't want to waste time on a 5 or 20 dollar sale after all the help. They probably like the whale that drops a couple hundred a week on the big main line stuff. My local b&m does not stock anything under 4 bucks a stick to keep the riff raff out.
    You stick to it. Back in the day when I was 16 the Tinderbox store in Bellevue, WA welcomed young people and sold me all kinds of goodies with instructions. They sold me the baccy when no other customers where around. I would head off to thisc new coffee shop called Starbucks happily pufring away(store #1 in the new chain)
    Never forgot those old guys showing me the ropes with basket pipes and Borkum Riff whiskey.

Quote Originally Posted by madbricky View Post
    I think you might be getting some economic prejudice. Happens to me too when it's dirty shop clothes. They don't want to waste time on a 5 or 20 dollar sale after all the help. They probably like the whale that drops a couple hundred a week on the big main stuff. My local b&m does not stock anything under 4 bucks a stick to keep the riff raff out.
    You stick to it. Back in the day when I was 16 the Tinderbox store in Bellevue, WA welcomed young people and sold me all kinds of goodies with instructions. They sold me the baccy when no other customer where around. I would head off to thisc new coffee shop called Starbucks (store #1 in the new chain)
    Never forgot those old guys showing me the ropes with basket pipes and Borkum Riff whiskey.
    Yea, there are employees and BOTL.
    Most of the older guys are really great to the younger respectful crowd.

Both of the b&m stores near me have been great. I am not that young anymore but there are plenty of younger patrons and they see to be appreciated customers.

I'm 19, and most of the times the employees at the b&m's I go to are really nice! After they have seen me in there more than once, I feel like they treat me more like a serious customer. Occasionally there will be the odd employee who will treat me like an idiot, but for the most part they are some pretty awesome people!

I remember going into shops back when I was in my teens. I'd get "the look" from some of the employees, but never from the owners. They were too busy trying to encourage me and grow a customer to give me any look. It's a shame if that's not the case anymore.
    ********.com

Luckily I'm in a place where there are several B&Ms around me. The one closest to me gave me that same kind of look, and seemed reluctant to help my girlfriend when she was trying to buy me a gift another time. I'll gladly drive a little more to shop somewhere else. I don't know why any of them should be doing that, it's bad customer service, and damn annoying.
    Word of the Day: | Innocuous - having no adverse effect

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast