Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Why the Large Ring Gauge Trend?

This is a discussion on Why the Large Ring Gauge Trend? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Sorry if this belongs in the noob forum. I know ring gauges are getting bigger these days, and skinnier vitolas ...

Why the Large Ring Gauge Trend?

Sorry if this belongs in the noob forum. I know ring gauges are getting bigger these days, and skinnier vitolas are getting rarer. Just wondering if anyone why this is. Doesn't this detract from the importance of the wrapper in the flavor profile?

I'm totally serious, dude B-daddy's Avatar

Re: Why the Large Ring Gauge Trend?

Seems like this WAS the "thing" about a year ago but it seems to have regressed back to the mean (or maybe I've just stopped paying attention). Who knows why? Like so much in the cigar business, it's probably 80% marketing and 20% real difference in flavor/performance that drives the trend.
    "24 hours in a day, 24 beers in a case. Coincidence?" -- Steven Wright

Compensation for shortcomings.

No but seriously, like any hobby there are trends. I don't really see it harder to find smaller RG sticks, only more options including larger RG's. The larger RG sticks became more popular, so the industry saw a way to introduce new product and sell more cigars. Although the wrapper influences the cigar flavor profile, increasing the filler and binder etc is just a different way to approach cigars...and a little change is good here and there.
    Are you a Puff noob or veteran? Join the Noobie Sampler Trade!
    Canadian? Try the Canadian Noob PIF v2.0

Puffer Fish with many spikes nfusion770's Avatar

I think they try to re-blend to make them taste as similar as possible. I don't really like large RG anymore. Its fine on a special release or an occasional cigar, but most often I prefer something 50 or under.
    He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

Puffer Fish with some spikes JeepGuy's Avatar

I know when I was looking to make my first few online purchases, the larger ring gauge cigars stood out more. Now i typically order smaller ring gauge cigars. Maybe they try to appeal to super noobs like myself when i started a little over a year ago?

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

I guess we just like to suck on big fat ones lol

I don't know, but now that I have discovered the dark side of the force I am appreciating the lower 40s more than I did before. Translating it over to NCs and finding I like them skinny too. I do still like a big fat MUWAT though!
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Maturing Puffer Fish f4milytime's Avatar

I try to stick as close to 50 as possible.

I have been smoking 50 and less usually, but I was reading this weekend that the larger ring gauge cigars tend to not burn as hot? Anyone else have a take on that comment that has more experience with them?

Chest Beating Pack Leader [OT] Loki's Avatar

i have no idea. every blender/manufacturer i've talked to doesn't get it either. the binder and filler have almost no flavor and the wrapper to binder/filler ratio is all screwed up in the larger rg. Makes no sense to me
    There's no time to explain get in the

Maturing Puffer Fish

"perceived" value. For the same price or a little more I can get a tree trunk of a cigar

Seems to be catering a bit to the US market.
    Lanceros and the like have been more popular outside the CONT-US.
    Dunno...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Burn View Post
    I have been smoking 50 and less usually, but I was reading this weekend that the larger ring gauge cigars tend to not burn as hot? Anyone else have a take on that comment that has more experience with them?
    This is true. Smaller RG cigars burn hotter, but I'm not sure exactly why that is.

From what I understand larger ring cigars are only really popular in the U.S. but is this any surprise? Here in Murica we like things BIG. Big trucks, big guns, big houses, and BIG CIGARS! Personally, I don't really like smoking anything above a 54 ring, and tend to prefer the flavor profile of cigars in the 40-48 RG range but there are exceptions. The flavor will change somewhat dependent upon the flavor of the wrapper/binder versus the filler leaves. If you smoke every size of a particular cigar, regardless of how skilled the blender is, you are going to notice a difference in flavor. For instance I LOVE the Kristoff maduro in the robusto (54 rg) and corona (42-44ish rg) sizes, but the churchill (50 rg) I don't enjoy as much though still pretty good.

Full grown Puffer Fish Islesfan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Just1ce View Post

From what I understand larger ring cigars are only really popular in the U.S. but is this any surprise? Here in Murica we like things BIG. Big trucks, big guns, big houses, and BIG CIGARS! Personally, I don't really like smoking anything above a 54 ring, and tend to prefer the flavor profile of cigars in the 40-48 RG range but there are exceptions. The flavor will change somewhat dependent upon the flavor of the wrapper/binder versus the filler leaves. If you smoke every size of a particular cigar, regardless of how skilled the blender is, you are going to notice a difference in flavor. For instance I LOVE the Kristoff maduro in the robusto (54 rg) and corona (42-44ish rg) sizes, but the churchill (50 rg) I don't enjoy as much though still pretty good.
    Excellent explanation. Just like everything else here in the US, we believe bigger is better. Personally I like my cigars between 42-48. Under 42 I find harsh, above 48 I feel you don't get as nice a flavor from the smoke.

Really Passionate Puffer hardgainer83's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Cyber-Burn View Post
    I've also read that - in a cigar book for beginners, and also heard many times that a thinner wooden stick thrown in to the fire burns hotter ( don't still understand why ). I have also long ago, stopped smoking all the small cigarillos I earlier used to, because I find them HOT and STRONG AS HELL compared to my normal everyday 7 - 8.5 x 50 - 54 smokes that I love - and that rarely are very strong or gets too hot.

Puffer Fish with many spikes Passprotection's Avatar

I was all about the larger RG's, more specifically NUB's, when I first got into this hobby a year ago (I'll be a year old smoker soon! ) but now prefer 40 to 50. In most cases, it's just a better smoke IMO.

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast