Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

CI 2014 Brown Bag Sampler

This is a discussion on CI 2014 Brown Bag Sampler within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; It's all good here. I'm not sweating this one bit. I'm also not a noob. I have a wineador stocked ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes Hoosier Daddy's Avatar

Re: CI 2014 Brown Bag Sampler

It's all good here. I'm not sweating this one bit. I'm also not a noob. I have a wineador stocked with 300 or so premium and super-premiums. Just nubbed an FFP that I've had resting for 2+ years. I figured I'd take a chance on this. If it tanks, so be it; another lesson learned and I'm only out $25. If I get five good sticks, I'll be happy enough. I'll definitely report back on Wednesday.

Quote Originally Posted by GVH View Post
    Me too Tom! I'll trade you 100 Shares of Outer Nairobi Silver Mines, Inc., for a Rocky Patel Cameroon!
    Lol. I think I already have those! T.

Full grown Puffer Fish Darkavenger's Avatar

Last time I grabbed a couple I got 2 grab bags of all the same cigars.

Also this thread reminded me I used my groulon form jagr of the month club and have t received it

I got one of these a while ago some crud I could'nt identify and some okay cheap smokes nothing spectacular by any means. I think the best was a G2.

Puffer Fish with many spikes gtechva's Avatar

I have seen this but wasn't brave enough. Please post results.
    really?...

Well, at least all of CI's cigars are balanced, according to the ad copy. So you should at least get 20 balanced cigars.

Trust Me, I'm Not Lion SeanTheEvans's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Langhorne View Post
    Well, at least all of CI's cigars are balanced, according to the ad copy. So you should at least get 20 balanced cigars.
    Nice, that way if he ends up chucking them, they'll spin real nice since the center of gravity is right at the midsection.
    I <3 Cigars

Really? Wouldn't it be a lot better if whoever is writing that crap for CI just told the truth? "We can't show you what's in the bag because it's mostly crap we can't sell, but you might get one reasonable smoke out of the whole mess- and you can give the rest away to folks who don't know any better..."
    Yeah, but THAT will never happen.

Agree.

FWIW:
    What you have here, my friend, is the TRANSLATION to reality.

GVH
    Puffer Fish with some spikes GVH's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Stinky View Post
    Yeah, but THAT will never happen.

Agree.

FWIW:
    What you have here, my friend, is the TRANSLATION to reality.
    Thanks Stinky! What I like the least about the particular ad copy used for the brown-bag special (brings to mind the old trick we used to play on people when we were kids - you know - the dog turds in the brown bag set on fire on the porch - ring the doorbell and run - is that the decision to brown bag a handful of stogies was driven by CI'S accountants. it could be true that CI'S accountants had something to do with the decision, but more about dumping old, unmarketable inventory to raise cash than anything else. When was the last time you saw Liga Privada No. 9's or Tatuaje Cazadores or Pudgy Monsters sold incognito at "fire sale" prices?
    Last edited by GVH; 07-06-2014 at 02:37 PM.
    Life is short, death is certain....enjoy your best cigar today!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Redwyvern's Avatar

I ordered one of these last year from CI when I was about a month into cigars. I forgot that I keep almost all my bands, including those, so I can give you an idea of what I received. Some MAY have come from a different sampler, but I'm almost positive that these came from it:

Scorpion Amadiz Cigar
    Indian Tabak Corojo Classic
    Lot #826 Slow Aged
    La Finca
    La Herencia Cubana
    Cedar Room Selection Vintage
    Pueblo Dominicano
    Flor de Oliva
    RP Burn
    Cuba Libra One
    Casa Magna Oscuro
    Casa Magna Colorado
    Jesus Fuego Corojo Oscuro
    5 Vegas Classic
    Quorum Shade
    High Primings (?)
    Naples, FL (?)
    G2

These are the names taken right off of the bands. Again, I'm not 100% sure that ALL of those came from the Brown Bag Sampler, but I'm about 95% sure that those are the ones. There were 20, so I also can't remember the other couple I received. It's a crapshoot, and I MEAN a CRAPshoot. Even as a beginner puffer, I remember being very disappointed at what I received.

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Redwyvern View Post
    I ordered one of these last year from CI when I was about a month into cigars. I forgot that I keep almost all my bands, including those, so I can give you an idea of what I received. Some MAY have come from a different sampler, but I'm almost positive that these came from it:

Scorpion Amadiz Cigar
    Indian Tabak Corojo Classic
    Lot #826 Slow Aged
    La Finca
    La Herencia Cubana
    Cedar Room Selection Vintage
    Pueblo Dominicano
    Flor de Oliva
    RP Burn
    Cuba Libra One
    Casa Magna Oscuro
    Casa Magna Colorado
    Jesus Fuego Corojo Oscuro
    5 Vegas Classic
    Quorum Shade
    High Primings (?)
    Naples, FL (?)
    G2

These are the names taken right off of the bands. Again, I'm not 100% sure that ALL of those came from the Brown Bag Sampler, but I'm about 95% sure that those are the ones. There were 20, so I also can't remember the other couple I received. It's a crapshoot, and I MEAN a CRAPshoot. Even as a beginner puffer, I remember being very disappointed at what I received.

*HEY! Some of that ain't bad pickin's! I REALLY enjoyed the Pueblo Dominicana, and the High Primings, Jesus`Fuego, Casa Magnas, even the Quorums are NOT BAD smokes at all! Also, I disagree with George (GVH) that CI's samplers are "crap"...not when they list for you exactly what you're getting. A lot of their sampler selections are excellent smokes, really. I too would like for the OP to tell us what HE got among the Brown Bag sampler too. I just ordered from Cigar.com, CI's sister company:

* Camacho Ecuador Toro Habano
    * CAO Extreme, Toro Habano
    * Spectre, Robusto Maduro
    * My Father La Antiguedad, Corona Grande Habano
    * Villiger Elite, Toro Habano
    * Nica Libre, Corona Maduro
    * Joya de Nicaragua Fuerte, Corona Gorda Habano
    * Diesel Hair of the Dog, Robusto Habano
    * Guerra, Corona Habano

It all came to $55 for those 9 singles. Smoked the Diesel last night and it was a mighty fine cigar, totally enjoyable. Wish you success in your purchase there!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

GVH

Quote Originally Posted by Damselnotindistress View Post
    *HEY! Some of that ain't bad pickin's! I REALLY enjoyed the Pueblo Dominicana, and the High Primings, Jesus`Fuego, Casa Magnas, even the Quorums are NOT BAD smokes at all! Also, I disagree with George (GVH) that CI's samplers are "crap"...not when they list for you exactly what you're getting. A lot of their sampler selections are excellent smokes, really. I too would like for the OP to tell us what HE got among the Brown Bag sampler too. I just ordered from Cigar.com, CI's sister company:

* Camacho Ecuador Toro Habano
    * CAO Extreme, Toro Habano
    * Spectre, Robusto Maduro
    * My Father La Antiguedad, Corona Grande Habano
    * Villiger Elite, Toro Habano
    * Nica Libre, Corona Maduro
    * Joya de Nicaragua Fuerte, Corona Gorda Habano
    * Diesel Hair of the Dog, Robusto Habano
    * Guerra, Corona Habano

It all came to $55 for those 9 singles. Smoked the Diesel last night and it was a mighty fine cigar, totally enjoyable. Wish you success in your purchase there!
    Sorry if I didn't make my comments clear - I was referring only to "Mystery Samplers" - not samplers where you can see what you are getting and make an informed choice. My apologies - and I agree that some samplers are excellent - whether from CI or Famous etc. George

Alpha Puffer Fish Damselnotindistress's Avatar

Sorry if I didn't make my comments clear - I was referring only to "Mystery Samplers" - not samplers where you can see what you are getting and make an informed choice. My apologies - and I agree that some samplers are excellent - whether from CI or Famous etc. George
    Oh, okay - and no problem at all! Yes I'd agree about "Mystery Samplers"; those do bespeak the possibility of Ron Mexico, Dark Shark and my favorite off-cigar name; Raji's Untimely Demise! And probably with a few Gurkhas, La Herencias, or maybe a Padilla 1932 thrown in there...!
    Old age and treachery will overcome youth and skill everytime

GVH

Quote Originally Posted by Damselnotindistress View Post
    Oh, okay - and no problem at all! Yes I'd agree about "Mystery Samplers"; those do bespeak the possibility of Ron Mexico, Dark Shark and my favorite off-cigar name; Raji's Untimely Demise! And probably with a few Gurkhas, La Herencias, or maybe a Padilla 1932 thrown in there...!
    Thanks Janet! Early-on in my acquisition phase, I bought a box of Rocky Patel Decades or something like it - and CI "threw-in" ten "free" cigars of indeterminate origin - I didn't recognize any of the bands/labels - but they were something like Raji's Untimely Demise. I gave them away (and the Decades) - no idea whether they got smoked. I'm guessing that they (CI, Thompson et.al.) pay fifty cents for a stick that they sell for one dollar, and the manufacturer gets twenty-five cents - the broker the other twenty-five cents. How do you make a cigar for twenty-five cents?

Puffer Fish with some spikes Hoosier Daddy's Avatar

Well, here they are. Samplers came a day early. I'm not impressed and won't do this again, but I suppose it could've been worse. The good news is that I'm reuniting with some old college buddies in the midwest in a week so many of these will be smoked on the golf course. Name:  SAM_5785.jpg
Views: 296
Size:  55.3 KB

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast