Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast
Like Tree7Likes

Bryan Glynn & CigarObsession.com

This is a discussion on Bryan Glynn & CigarObsession.com within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Some of you may be wondering why I've occasionally cited something that Bryan Glynn has said or why I've referred ...

Removed per request

Bryan Glynn & CigarObsession.com

Some of you may be wondering why I've occasionally cited something that Bryan Glynn has said or why I've referred his website and YouTube reviews to certain members here. To put it simply; a few months ago I took a step back and realized I had a deeper passion for cigars, than I had previously.

I mean, this is coming from a guy who's nickname has been "Smokey" for 14 years lol. I never smoked cigarettes, besides when I was in 6th grade, but I was just trying to be cool. (never weed either). I've always had a love for cigars and knew the history behind tobacco and many many many facts about these great sticks. Until about 3 months ago I saw a video that changed everything for me; the way I looked at cigars, the way I smoked them and cared for them. That video was Bryan Glynn's "How To Smoke A Cigar" intro (101) video. I had never "followed" his channel before or knew of his website, I just searched for Cigar 101.

This may sound weird coming from a guy who has been already smoking cigars for 12 years prior, but its true. I simply wasn't doing it right (I know there's not one right way). I was cutting my cigars past the cap, charring my cigars on first light, over-heating the tobacco on first light, sticking the cigars directly into the flame (having no patience whatsoever). I also was drawing to many times in one minute, getting that hot gassy taste (not knowing better). What kills me is that I got 3 friends into the hobby, and taught them everything I knew and explained it as fact.

So after watching this video, I had an awakening. I dedicated hours on end learning this craft and in the process developing a deeper appreciation and passion for this hobby, called cigars. I give a majority of the credit to Bryan Glynn, and have a strong respect for the man. That explains the constant references and shout-outs.

Here's a link to the video that changed my appreciation for this great great hobby, no actually.....WAY OF LIFE. Thanks All!

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ws95...vaMJr7vrPMdTBO

Re: Bryan Glynn & CigarObsession.com

Interesting post. I've had the same sort of revelation since I joined this forum. I've learned to slow down my smoking, let the cigar cool between puffs and the flavors have started to 'pop' for lack of a better term. I could burn through a 6x60 stick in less than an hour when I started here, now it takes me over an hour to smoke a robusto. I have to plan ahead to smoke a big RG cigar. It has really enhanced my enjoyment of the hobby.

I've watched more than a few of Bryan's videos and still marvel at his ability to describe all of the flavors he he experiences particularly since he doesn't appear to retrohale which I'm just not a fan of anyway.
    We're gonna need a bigger humidor

Can you imagine how much better your cigars would taste if everybody sent all there best offerings for you to enjoy at your leisure! Oh by the way keep the hat too. What a life!
    Don't let what you want interfere with the happiness there is in what you have.

Maturing Puffer Fish JollyRogers's Avatar

Really enjoyed the video, I need to work on my lighting technique and pacing a little more, but I think I'm on the right track! It's all about slowing down and patience which is the whole reason I got into these things!

I watch Bryan's reviews from time to time, and I generally enjoy them. Our "likes" are different, but so is everyone's palate. To your point, over the years I've learned the things you mentioned, and they all make a big difference.

Glad you're enjoying your smokes.
    "I'm sure everything will be fine if we win, but if we start losing, I'm shooting." - Michael Jordan

Removed per request

Quote Originally Posted by Jordan23 View Post
    I watch Bryan's reviews from time to time, and I generally enjoy them. Our "likes" are different, but so is everyone's palate. To your point, over the years I've learned the things you mentioned, and they all make a big difference.

Glad you're enjoying your smokes.
    Thanks Troy, very true

Removed per request

Quote Originally Posted by JollyRogers View Post
    Really enjoyed the video, I need to work on my lighting technique and pacing a little more, but I think I'm on the right track! It's all about slowing down and patience which is the whole reason I got into these things!

As I've learned these last 3 months its all about patience, which you already are aware of. It will come in time, just keep at it and eventually it will click. I'm no expert myself but I'm improving. I find that a soft flame makes it easier.

Removed per request

Quote Originally Posted by Billb1960 View Post
    Interesting post. I've had the same sort of revelation since I joined this forum. I've learned to slow down my smoking, let the cigar cool between puffs and the flavors have started to 'pop' for lack of a better term. I could burn through a 6x60 stick in less than an hour when I started here, now it takes me over an hour to smoke a robusto. I have to plan ahead to smoke a big RG cigar. It has really enhanced my enjoyment of the hobby.

I've watched more than a few of Bryan's videos and still marvel at his ability to describe all of the flavors he he experiences particularly since he doesn't appear to retrohale which I'm just not a fan of anyway.
    I was the same, I use to be proud I could finish my cigar before anyone else, now I'm usually the last one. I marvel at his palate abilities as well. If I could experience just a couple of those complexities I will be one happy guy.

Young Fish

I agree completely. That particular video helped me to enjoy cigars way more than before. I am fairly new to the hobby and I learned about 80% of what I know from videos like this ( actually from THIS video! Lol) and forums such as puff. This video completely changed the way I enjoyed cigars. His reviews are also awesome. Articulated very well to say the least.

He gets bashed here sometimes, but I still enjoy his cigar reviews. He certainly has a love for the hobby...can't knock him for that.

mb1

@Love Big Ashes - I found that same video in my pre-Puff days, and it unlocked a new experience for me as well. I've watched a lot of his reviews and can appreciate his passion. I like that he uses a consistent format, so if you watch a few it makes it easier to compare.

Someone mentioned on another thread that he likes everything he smokes. I haven't seen that. I mean he's not smoking dog rockets. Some he will be more enthusiastic about and others he will just describe the flavors he's getting and tell you if you like those flavors, you'll like the smoke. Some he will comment and say he would definitely buy some.

Does he post here?

HIM

Quote Originally Posted by mb1 View Post
    [MENTION=39321]
    Does he post here?
    Highly doubt it. He'd have a lot of critics to face.
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

Pipe'in Aint Easy

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    A LOT...

But in all honesty, I think he gets a lot of "noobs" interested and excited for the hobby. So anything that gets people passionate about fine tobacco use is OK by me, I guess
    It's been nice, while it lasted.

HIM

Quote Originally Posted by Branzig View Post
    A LOT...

But in all honesty, I think he gets a lot of "noobs" interested and excited for the hobby. So anything that gets people passionate about fine tobacco use is OK by me, I guess
    agreed
    Yeasty Airlocks And Carboys Full Of Ale!!

Leading Puffer Fish demuths1770's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by HIM View Post
    A LOT A LOT lol........ The way he dose his review viedos is layed out nice and it is great for a beginner but i have a problem with someone who takes samples he gets and sells rafle tickets to fund buying a motorcycle for himself.
    Happiness? A good cigar, a good meal, a good cigar and a good womanó or a bad woman; it depends on how much happiness you can handle. - George Burns

Page 1 of 6 1 2 3 4 5 6 LastLast