Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Gotta Love Vintage Ashtrays

This is a discussion on Gotta Love Vintage Ashtrays within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; not bad for a buck 50......

No longer a community member.

Re: Gotta Love Vintage Ashtrays

not bad for a buck 50...

Puffer Fish with many spikes dyj48's Avatar

That's a very unusual ashtray and a rare find. They're getting harder and harder to find. Love to haunt thrift stores to pick up vintage cigar ashtrays at a few bucks each. I figure the old stuff works better than most of the new ones and are made better anyway. Besides I rather spend money on cigars! Anyway, I enjoy the different colors of the older ashtrays. Here's a few of my collection:

That has a sewn belt leather skirt and underneath the brass piece is a solid wood base. That cost .50 cents at a garage sale.

That's the one Aaron (Montecristo #2), always uses when we have our miniherfs.

Got maybe another dozen or so...still looking and hunting.....

HAH! That is awesome!
    "I object your reality and substitute my own" - Adam Savage

Blake #2 aka The Human Compass
    Save the Turtles Save the World

Quote Originally Posted by dyj48 View Post
    That's a very unusual ashtray and a rare find. They're getting harder and harder to find. Love to haunt thrift stores to pick up vintage cigar ashtrays at a few bucks each. I figure the old stuff works better than most of the new ones and are made better anyway. Besides I rather spend money on cigars! Anyway, I enjoy the different colors of the older ashtrays. Here's a few of my collection:

That has a sewn belt leather skirt and underneath the brass piece is a solid wood base. That cost .50 cents at a garage sale.

That's the one Aaron (Montecristo #2), always uses when we have our miniherfs.

Got maybe another dozen or so...still looking and hunting.....
    Wow, beautiful collection you got there. I have a few ashtrays but none that even come close to the beautiful ones you own. I guess the closest one would be the one that I posted a pic of in this thread.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish sonick's Avatar

WHOAH, major MAJOR memory flood triggered by dyj48!!!!!

The second ashtray from the top in dyj48's post, the square transparent green glass, is the EXACT ashtray used by my parents for as long as I can remember. It and other knickknacks were lost when they moved to AZ in 1997, so I haven't seen it forever. When you posted that picture I just got a huge flood of memories from years gone by........ intense!!!!!!!!

Makes me want to pick one up, I have a habit of trying to purchase things I once owned when I was much younger (ie: merlin, speak and spell, robotix, green machine, etc.)

KingGeorge: the House ashtray is really cool. I'm sure No1der can especially appreciate that one

Big Country Flavor Marlboro Cigars's Avatar

Nice ashtrays.

Nice find there with the ahstray.

Enjoy it, looks pretty cool there.
    Smoke-em if you got em

Great shots. Glad to see I am not the only one that hits thrift shops.

I will have to do get the camera out and post my small collection.

Keep the pics coming

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes wharfrathoss's Avatar

good score
    There's nothing so bad in life that it can't be made worse by a lousy cigar.

Quote Originally Posted by dyj48 View Post
    Cool ashtray!

Here's my 2, one similar to the first one in your post.

Maturing Puffer Fish KingGeorge's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by No1der View Post

If you don't mind me asking, where did you get it?
    I got it in a 2nd hand store in a neighbor town. It was just in amongst other nicknacks.

I've been trying to figure out more about it. I figure there must be a HoR gift shop items... but I don't know if the HoR has a gift shop, and if they do, I don't imagine them selling smoking paraphernalia any more.

Maybe it was used in the real HoR. I doubt it though.

But it has a nice big slots that hold cigars and so it's useful, which is more than I can say for the HoR.

george

Puffer Fish with many spikes dyj48's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by sonick View Post
    WHOAH, major MAJOR memory flood triggered by dyj48!!!!!

The second ashtray from the top in dyj48's post, the square transparent green glass, is the EXACT ashtray used by my parents for as long as I can remember. It and other knickknacks were lost when they moved to AZ in 1997, so I haven't seen it forever. When you posted that picture I just got a huge flood of memories from years gone by........ intense!!!!!!!!

Makes me want to pick one up, I have a habit of trying to purchase things I once owned when I was much younger (ie: merlin, speak and spell, robotix, green machine, etc.)

KingGeorge: the House ashtray is really cool. I'm sure No1der can especially appreciate that one

Yeah, the green is my fave, I love the color, it's actually in excellent shape, dunno why that little shadow shows up on the bottom. These are all big ashtrays...the green is almost six inches square. You can also find sets in threes with cigarette sizes and then a medium and the large ones like above. I've also got the cigar sizes in red and amber colors as well. The greens and reds are getting very expensive...too many cigar smokers around, if you can get reds or greens under 8 bucks or so, grab it, that's a find!! Gotta a bunch more, maybe I'll take a few more pics...meanwhile here's a red one...

You guys have some of the nicest ashtrays I've seen. I know I want to buy the "Stinky Ashtray" because it's very useable and looks cool too but my heart is with the vintage stuff.

I keep looking in my local thriftshops for nice ashtrays, and I've found quite a few nice ones but none are as elaborate as the ones you guys are posting.

The closest thing to those as far as unique style is the one I started this thread with. I still love this ashtray because it just cradles my stogies so nicely and it looks cool to.

I just had an idea, I'm going to go and talk to some of the local "better" hotels and see what they do with old ashtrays. Who knows, I might get a piece that's not only nice, useable and also a little historic. Anything is possible right?

Allright, this is 90% of my ashtray collection.
    It's not as elaborate as your guys but here it is.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Looks cool, although they aren't really my style. But hey, for $1.50, why not?

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast