Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Walk-In Humidor Costs??

This is a discussion on Walk-In Humidor Costs?? within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; A couple friends and myself are just prodding around the thought of starting up a shop, and one thing that ...

Question Walk-In Humidor Costs??

A couple friends and myself are just prodding around the thought of starting up a shop, and one thing that immediately came to mind was the humidor.

Anybody have any idea of how to construct, and the price of, either a walk-in or an along-the-wall humi?

As always, I appreciate the advice.
    I usually handle these situations with a little tact, but in that particular case I told her to go @#*& herself. -- icehog3

Puffer Fish with some spikes CigarNation's Avatar

Re: Walk-In Humidor Costs??

There are companies that will build walk-in humidors. I can't think of the name of one here in Minneapolis, but they also do wine cellars too.

Look up someone in your area and get a ballpark idea. Then realize you could do it cheaper, or have it done professionally.
    Josh

I have no signature.

cheapest way would be to build a walk-in yourself. the big display humi's can go for 1500. the biggest challenge is inventory and company accounts, good luck with padron, they are fun.

It depends on what you want to build.

Big, small, huge ??

All Spanish cedar or use Luan and Mahogany ?

Size also will be a factor on how much the humidification device will cost you as well.

How much stock are you going to hold ???

How big is the store ??
    Smoke-em if you got em

Quote Originally Posted by RPB67 View Post
    It depends on what you want to build.

Big, small, huge ??

All Spanish cedar or use Luan and Mahogany ?

Size also will be a factor on how much the humidification device will cost you as well.

How much stock are you going to hold ???

How big is the store ??
    Whoa whoa whoa...I don't know if I can answer much here. We might not even do anything for a few years (getting through college is a higher priority...for now ).

Size: Medium, I suppose. I'm thinking 8 x 12 ft. or so.

Wood: What is the difference between the three woods? I didn't know I could use any other than Sp. Cedar...

Humidification: I was gonna view this as an entirely separate matter...I'm well aware that it all depends on size, and I figured that would be easier to get ahold of than the humidor.

Stock: Enough to fill the 8 x 12 room, I hope. I'll let myself get a few $$$ and contacts under my belt first.

Size: I have no idea how big the store will be.

I suppose I'm just looking for a general range, from the lowest, to a realistic higher possibility. By no means am I looking to create a walk-in that is some 15 x 25 ft or anything.
    I usually handle these situations with a little tact, but in that particular case I told her to go @#*& herself. -- icehog3

5 Rings and Counting hornitosmonster's Avatar

I want one for my house

Quote Originally Posted by CigarNation View Post
    There are companies that will build walk-in humidors. I can't think of the name of one here in Minneapolis, but they also do wine cellars too.

Look up someone in your area and get a ballpark idea. Then realize you could do it cheaper, or have it done professionally.
    As a web consultant who needs to support a family, it would tick me off to have someone have me do the plans and then they build it on their own.

The planner has a right to earn something for the time and effort of providing a design. A good planner/builder can offer you a better rate on the plan if the development is part of the package.

I've seen people occupy the expert time of a salesman at a local camera shop and then have the nerve to ask where a camera can be bought cheapest online. The salesman doesn't work on salary for the camera company nor makes a profit on a sale if it goes elsewhere. That's theft of the salesman's time and of the company's salary, nothing less.

Best and most honest way is to tell the designer that you want to build it yourself and that you're paying him for his expertise and plans. It's likely that with his experience he will be able to see things you wouldn't and will save you some hassles.

Quote Originally Posted by CigarNation View Post

As a web consultant who needs to support a family, it would tick me off to have someone have me do the plans and then they build it on their own.

The planner has a right to earn something for the time and effort of providing a design. A good planner/builder can offer you a better rate on the plan if the development is part of the package.

I've seen people occupy the expert time of a salesman at a local camera shop and then have the nerve to ask where a camera can be bought cheapest online. The salesman doesn't work on salary for the camera company nor makes a profit on a sale if it goes elsewhere. That's theft of the salesman's time and of the company's salary, nothing less.

Best and most honest way is to tell the designer that you want to build it yourself and that you're paying him for his expertise and plans. It's likely that with his experience he will be able to see things you wouldn't and will save you some hassles.

You may end up, after listening to the expert, deciding to hire him. You'll be a better-informed consumer in the end.

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Quote Originally Posted by hornitosmonster View Post
    I want one for my house

Quote Originally Posted by carni View Post
    the biggest challenge is inventory and company accounts, good luck with padron, they are fun.

Exactly. Thats the most daunting aspect of owning a shop- establishing good relationships with the vendors and manufacturers. Starting off fresh is a difficult task, I've been told. If this was ever my desire, I'd look to buy a turnkey business with pre-established contacts and a good, healthy history with the suppliers.

Quote Originally Posted by Mark THS View Post
    Exactly. Thats the most daunting aspect of owning a shop- establishing good relationships with the vendors and manufacturers. Starting off fresh is a difficult task, I've been told. If this was ever my desire, I'd look to buy a turnkey business with pre-established contacts and a good, healthy history with the suppliers.
    Well everybody's got to have started at some point, no?

Puffer Fish with many spikes RaiderinKS's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by thunderbucks View Post
    Well everybody's got to have started at some point, no?

Yeah, but it would be easier to work in a cigar shop for a while, maybe get to know some of the reps, and then move on with some contacts in your pocket.

Full grown Puffer Fish tuneman07's Avatar

I have toyed with this idea too but not very seriously as I have only recently gotten into cigars. If you think about what a humidor is- a fairly airtight box then all you have to do really is build a room and line it with cedar. I have built sheds, and rooms in houses and basically you have a frame with drywall in it. Replacing the drywall with cedar makes a humidor I would suppose. The only problem is I have no idea where to get cedar boards or how much those would cost. At least spanish cedar. Really though you could probably do it for the cost of humidification which couldn't be more than a few grand tops, probably could be done for a few hundred, and the cost of cedar and your time of course.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish discdog's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by tuneman07 View Post
    I have toyed with this idea too but not very seriously as I have only recently gotten into cigars. If you think about what a humidor is- a fairly airtight box then all you have to do really is build a room and line it with cedar. I have built sheds, and rooms in houses and basically you have a frame with drywall in it. Replacing the drywall with cedar makes a humidor I would suppose. The only problem is I have no idea where to get cedar boards or how much those would cost. At least spanish cedar. Really though you could probably do it for the cost of humidification which couldn't be more than a few grand tops, probably could be done for a few hundred, and the cost of cedar and your time of course.
    Actually you don't forego the drywall, you'll cover it up with heavy plastic and then install the wood of choice over that. Spanish cedar in my area is running between $3.50 and $6.00 / sq.ft., so the "costs" can very significantly. As far as the size goes, it's just like a humi for the house, always go bigger than what you think you'll need. New releases, LE's, hot items and storage take up valuble space that will be needed in a very short time. 12 x 25 with 9' ceilings would be a great size for a shop, but starting out could be a little overwhelming. Maybe go 12 x 15 and leave room for expansion?
    Good luck if you decide to eventually delve into this.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish discdog's Avatar

oops
    Last edited by discdog; 06-06-2007 at 08:50 AM. Reason: doubled

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast