Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast

Newbie undertaking wine coolerdor project, couple questions

This is a discussion on Newbie undertaking wine coolerdor project, couple questions within the General Cigar Discussion forums, part of the The Cigar Lounges at Puff category; Originally Posted by chip Humidity is more personal preference, I like to keep everything around 65%. I don't get all ...

Re: Newbie undertaking wine coolerdor project, couple questions

Quote Originally Posted by chip View Post
    Humidity is more personal preference, I like to keep everything around 65%. I don't get all that worried about minor fluctuations, heck I rarely check anymore.
    I know that for me, cigars taste better when a bit drier than the "gospel of 70/70".....and I keep a desktop where I move my cigars before smoking at under 65%. You''ll figure out what you like.
    That's funny - I SWORE by the 70/70 for a while. After experimenting, I love storing at 64*F and ~65%RH. I even like them under 65%RH like you, right before smoking. Makes the draw real nice.

Quote Originally Posted by smokin5 View Post
    Give your friend your best cigar. You'll have lots of fine future smokes coming to you if you do.

Temp Ban for Rules Violation WoppA's Avatar

I believe I like the cigars a little drier, I prefer a smooth, voluminous draw. 65% sounds good. I will be buying an oasis xl, no beads, sounds like this is the way to go.

I run a pound of beads in my fridgeador and use the Oasis to help boost the RH up after my compressor runs, and It's been working great for me.
    The Oasis pumps out a load of RH in a hurry, but I find the beads do a better job of holding it steady. Just my , but here in the desert heat I lose RH fast when I open it up, especially now that the compressor runs far more often as summer begins to heat up.
    "If you never cared what happened to me, and I never cared for you, we would zigzag our way through the boredom and pain,occasionally glancing up through the rain wondering which of the buggers to blame and watching for pigs on the wing"

Quote Originally Posted by The Pict View Post
    I run a pound of beads in my fridgeador and use the Oasis to help boost the RH up after my compressor runs, and It's been working great for me.
    The Oasis pumps out a load of RH in a hurry, but I find the beads do a better job of holding it steady. Just my , but here in the desert heat I lose RH fast when I open it up, especially now that the compressor runs far more often as summer begins to heat up.
    I dont think I'll have that problem here in NY, plus the wine cooler is thermal electric.

Quote Originally Posted by WoppA View Post
    I dont think I'll have that problem here in NY, plus the wine cooler is thermal electric.
    Exactly why I'd recommend the beads over the Oasis. They'll actually draw moisture out of the air when your RH gets higher than 65% and let is back out when it dries up. Last I remember a NY summer can get a touch moist so the ability to remove moisture is as important as letting it out in your area. That and you ought not have the RH swings nearly as severe with the thermoelectroc cooling that I have with my compressor.
    "If you never cared what happened to me, and I never cared for you, we would zigzag our way through the boredom and pain,occasionally glancing up through the rain wondering which of the buggers to blame and watching for pigs on the wing"

Understood, you make a good point, I am once again split on what to do. Going to give it some thought.

More, more, more

Understood, you make a good point, I am once again split on what to do. Going to give it some thought.
    Not that you need another opinion, but you can always start with the beads (which are cheaper), and then add the Oasis if you find the beads aren't meeting your needs. No need to spend all the money up front as your locale may dictate different needs than those of us in warmer/dryer climes. Same thing with the temp control--take Chip's advice and go without it for a bit, but if the temp doesn't dial in to your liking, add it later. Your stogies will not suffer much in the long run while you're dialing this TE fridge in.

Thumbs up Re: Newbie undertaking wine coolerdor project, couple questions

Right, I will have to figure things out as I go along, and your help is appreciated just the same as everyone else's. In fact RG for everyone! lol I just don't know if I even have RG power yet, I guess we will see though!

I am also in NY and I needed the temp controller...along with a re-wired computer fan, along with a timer for the fan, along with 4 oust fans...etc.

In all honesty, if you have a basement or any cool area in your house I would pass on the wine cooler. They are very nice to look at and all, but mine has been nothing but a royal pain in the a** for going on 3 or 4 months now. Constant futzing is necessary with mine and I have read countless threads on several different forums as well as consulting with several knowledgeable BOTL's here via PM and I still cannot get this thing to my desired range. I thought I had it going well for awhile a week or two ago when I noticed there was so much condensation it was leaking through the front door of the thing. I just moved it into my air conditioned bedroom which is precisely the thing I wanted to buy it for in the first place to avoid (aka running AC for months on end).

I may be the exception to the rule, or maybe Im just a moron for not being able to do something that many other have done to great success, but I am at the point where this thing causes me more stress than what I was worried about when I bought it. It is a constant problem, and am upset I ever bought the thing.

Anyway, best of luck, but I would strongly advise anyone who does not NEED one of these things due to high temps or whatever to pass. A long for the days I had a nice cool basement and a plain old coleman cooler.

What kind of wine cooler is it?

What kind of wine cooler is it?
    Edgestar 28 Bottle Thermo

Quote Originally Posted by adsantos13 View Post
    Edgestar 28 Bottle Thermo
    Uh oh...well mine is all paid for already so I'm going to have to make it work. I needed it cause I cant don't the A/C over here either, I don't understand why it would be such a problem to get it right though, with all that you put into it.

Uh oh...well mine is all paid for already so I'm going to have to make it work. I needed it cause I cant don't the A/C over here either, I don't understand why it would be such a problem to get it right though, with all that you put into it.
    Sorry to post such a downer post before and good luck with your project. If you have no AC it is a necessity to keep the sticks cool and such.

Anyway, feel free to PM me at anytime along the way and I can advise as best I can.

Quote Originally Posted by adsantos13 View Post
    I am also in NY and I needed the temp controller...along with a re-wired computer fan, along with a timer for the fan, along with 4 oust fans...etc..
    I can't believe I forgot to mention it, but I was having a ton of trouble with uneven RH as well until I bought a 110v computer fan from Radio Shack and wired it to move the air around in my fridgador. I zip tied it to the second rack and aimed it at my beads (which I put on the shelf directly above the compressor and about 18" below the fan) and my RH steadied right up from top to bottom. It didn't solve the dip in RH when the compressor turns on, but it does take the vapor the Oasis and beads are putting out and blow them around inside the box to massively speed up the recovery time and even up the levels top to bottom. Made a world of difference.
    And yes, I tried a couple of Oust fans (sans stink) and had virtually no luck with them. They barely seem to move any air in my 150 stick box, let alone in my 50 bottle fridgeador.

So, what did you wind up doing and how is it working out?
    Inquiring minds want to know.

Page 2 of 3 FirstFirst 1 2 3 LastLast