Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

European Skull Mount...???

This is a discussion on European Skull Mount...??? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Has anybody here ever done one or had one done ? If so, please post a pic.........like to see it ...

European Skull Mount...???

Has anybody here ever done one or had one done ? If so, please post a pic.........like to see it before we decide for sure.

Me and my dad were thinking of being different and getting his deer done this way. It should look good.........

[SIZE=1]How is my day going........either or [/SIZE]

At the Asy-lum

Re: European Skull Mount...???

My Wife worked for a taxidermist and she use to help scrape, boil and bleach buffalo skulls and other critters. I think its great for smaller game, not really fond of it for Deer or elk. Buffalo, bear, boar, beaver and wolverine all look cool, unless you have an artist do some painting on the skull. I have a horse skull my mother in law painted on and my father in law had my wife clean, boil and bleach a long horn that came out great. I guess I am partial to the hide being on for Deer, Elk, antelope, Carribou, goats and big horn sheep. I guess if it has horns or antlers I like the hide on.

Not Here

you wouldn't be able to have the tongue hanging out...
    [SIZE=2]
    “Don’t talk to me about naval tradition.
    It’s nothing but rum, sodomy, and the lash.”
    Winston Churchill (1874-1965)
    [/SIZE]

I guess things went well Saturday, Andy. Nice kill.

I think it's a different look. I haven't seen too many mounted like that. Plus, you don't have the hassle of it turning all nasty later when the fur starts to turn loose.
    getting on with it

Quote Originally Posted by DriftyGypsy View Post
    you wouldn't be able to have the tongue hanging out...
    beat me to it.
    [SIZE="4"]Oklahoma.......Like the musical without all the singing.[/SIZE]

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Diesel Kinevel's Avatar

The only problem with european skull mounts is that you get to go digging around inside a skull to pull all the gunk out. It kinda makes you feel like a psycho. But its not hard.

1. put skull in pot of water & boil for a while.
    2. peel all of the skin off and start pulling everything else out.

not very difficult, just disgusting. Some people bleach the skull but if you do a good enough job scraping and peeling its not needed.

ps congrats on the nice buck!
    May the road rise up to meet you.May the wind be always at your back.May the sun shine warm upon your face;the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Nice deer.

You live in Alabama. Got fireants? Stake the head out on an ant mound. I've got a deer skull in the garage (never got around to mounting it) and I staked it out in one of my pastures on an ant mound (not fire ant) and let the ants, magpies, mice, & others pick away at it and to sun bleach it. I wrapped the horns with aluminum foil & duct tape to keep them from bleaching. Turned out fine and I really liked the "no yuck" factor.

WyoBob
    WyoBob

Scratching Itches chippewastud79's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by mikey202 View Post
    Nice deer.
    Very nice. Where do I find those monsters?
    You can never have too many cigars, they are like an investment in good times.

Quote Originally Posted by Diesel Kinevel View Post
    The only problem with european skull mounts is that you get to go digging around inside a skull to pull all the gunk out. It kinda makes you feel like a psycho. But its not hard.

1. put skull in pot of water & boil for a while.
    2. peel all of the skin off and start pulling everything else out.

not very difficult, just disgusting. Some people bleach the skull but if you do a good enough job scraping and peeling its not needed.

ps congrats on the nice buck!
    I think he's understating. Boiling the skull would probably rank as the worst thing you've done. I watched it on dirty jobs and it looked like it sucked so bad.

[SIZE=3]Assembling the South Louisiana Crew[/SIZE]
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=109929

I have done this with a couple deer, word of advice though, when you bleach the skull, don't leave it soaking in the bleach for too long, otherwise it will become very brittle and start to flake.

At the Asy-lum

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrawf1 View Post
    I think he's understating. Boiling the skull would probably rank as the worst thing you've done. I watched it on dirty jobs and it looked like it sucked so bad.
    My Wife said it was the smell that was bad, but you shouldnt have that from just one (she says try a few hundred over a period of time) You can bleach to different levels, from more of a natural bone to white. The place my wife worked for kept it more of a natural bone bleach (thats what most people wanted) It is actually not bleach, but a peroxide which is commercial grade. I think you can get the kits to do one or two skulls at a time. Try an internet search. I cannot be any worse than boiling a chicken and picking all the meat off the bone. You can also put the stripped skull on a red ant pile and they will clean it as well. I would say with this type of mount it would be a do it yourself project and you really cant screw it up, but research first. And dont use regular bleach it will have a tendency to turn it into goop, discolor or leave them sticky at least on small skulls.

Thanks for all the input. I've boiled a coyote skull before......it was a messy job, but pretty cool to do and save. I ended up just cutting the antlers off last night. It was on the brink of being very smelly in the garage ( even in 2 bags) If I had froze the skull, I would have been in better shape. The local taxidermist wanted $180 for a mount. I found a guy out of MI for $75 plus S/H.

If I am lucky enough to harvest the other buck that was with this one at the time my dad shot it..........I'll freeze the skull immediately and then decide what to do then.

[SIZE=1]How is my day going........either or [/SIZE]

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes Diesel Kinevel's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by jmcrawf1 View Post
    its not the worst thing Ive ever done but its up there . if the end result didnt look so good I would never do it
    May the road rise up to meet you.May the wind be always at your back.May the sun shine warm upon your face;the rains fall soft upon your fields and until we meet again,may God hold you in the palm of His hand.

JCK

that dear is sticking it's tongue out at you. Are you sure you got it?
    Ji

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast