Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Looking for a new puppy

This is a discussion on Looking for a new puppy within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Well i've been looking for a new dog for some time now, i've narrowed it down to a couple of ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish leicoolya's Avatar

Looking for a new puppy

Well i've been looking for a new dog for some time now, i've narrowed it down to a couple of breeds. Pit Bull, Cane Corso, American bulldog
    as of now i'm thinking the Pitbull, i know there is lot of bad press on the Pitbull, we have a half pit/shepard female now and she is an awesome dog.

Heres a video that gives you more of the truth about pitbulls
    http://www.pitbullproblem.tk/

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish SlimDiesel's Avatar

Re: Looking for a new puppy

Pits do have a bad rap that is undeserved. My buddy has a Pit that's almost fully grown and it's a great dog. It's all in how the dog is raised. Don't get me wrong though, that dog almost took off my left forearm.
    [SIZE="1"]Tis better to be a smartass than a dumb one.[/SIZE]

[SIZE="1"]"They that can give up essential liberty to obtain
    a little temporary safety deserve neither liberty nor safety."
    -Benjamin Franklin
    [/SIZE]

User who chose to leave. Franksmith's Avatar

Why get a dog that "IF" something goes wrong can do enough damage to easily cause death?

Get a good old fashioned mutt. They have less heath and social problems and are not likely to be scaring people when you walk down the street with it.

Just my

Quote Originally Posted by Franksmith
    Why get a dog that "IF" something goes wrong can do enough damage to easily cause death?

Get a good old fashioned mutt. They have less heath and social problems and are not likely to be scaring people when you walk down the street with it.

Just my
    I like the mean looking dog breeds, if you haven't guessed. Plus its all about how the dog is trained

lots of pitbull mix puppies here: http://www.chicagocaninerescue.org/

Quote Originally Posted by leicoolya
    I like the mean looking dog breeds, if you haven't guessed. Plus its all about how the dog is trained
    That is what it comes down to. Trained and cared for properly and ANY dog can be as playful as a puppy all through their life. Not trained or improperly cared for, and ANY dog can cause severe damage.

Ron
    "Some people spend an entire lifetime wondering
    if they've made a difference. The Marines don't
    have that problem." President Ronald Reagan 1985

Puffer Fish with some spikes EnyafanJT's Avatar

i had a friend from a middle class family that had his well cared for and trained pit take his 3 yr old daughter's throat out for her and drag her dead body into the doghouse where police had to kill the dog to even get her body out. i know the dog was purebred and well taken care of and professionally trained. certain characteristics have to be bred out of dogs over generations. even purebred rots at westminster are that way. the judges have the handler hold the mouth open for inspection and they are the best of the breed. pretty hard to argue with that.

How 'bout a German Sheperd? Spectacular looking, extremely smart, fiercly loyal, and great with kids. When my cousin was about 4 years old, he wandered from his yard next door, into ours. Our dog Duke kept him from continuing on, and accidentally ambling out to the busy county highway by barking and preventing him from crossing the sidewalk. No training, just instinct.

[SIZE=2]"Following the path of least resistance is what makes rivers, and men, crooked."[/SIZE]

Contemplating the sad day that my Lab/German Shep mix dies (and he is a fantastic dog), I've been giving a lot of thought to a German Shepherd.

I know Pit Bulls can be good or bad, and some of the bad ones are indeed scary, but the scariest dog I have ever been around was my (step) father-in-laws' Akita. It was a BIG Akita, about 150 pounds. It didn't like anyone but his owner, not even my wife's mom (don't know that I could blame... never mind). The thing was just a mean b*stard of a dog, and so big and so powerful, I don't know that it would have been possible to stop that animal from killing anything it wanted to without a couple of rounds from a deer rifle. Frankly, I don't think a single 9mm round or .38 would have done the trick unless you could get close enough to penetrate his massive, thick skull (i.e. contact). I would not take the kids over there unless he chained the animal in the back yard (he broke through their back door a couple of times!). It regularly broke the chains which were meant to hold large dogs. We ended up using a VERY thick rope, which gave enough that the animal couldn't snap it. Kujo was a baby Beagle compared to that thing.

I can't stand a dog that cannot be trusted, and I don't know that my father-in-law ever completely trusted the dog himself, and he is over 6-1/2 feet tall and a physically imposing dude. Thankfully, the beast finally expired last year. I suppose the only reason my father-in-law kept him was that he testified against a gang-banger who held him up at gunpoint and whacked him in the head with a pipe (the turd was already a convicted felon and he got sent away for a nice long stretch), and was threatened (and his house shot at) as a result. I would make an exception to owning such a killer only in such a case.

Dude, seriously, get a Labradoodle. They are these huge Lab/Standard Poodle mixes that look just like freakin' Chewbacca. My neighbor's got one and it's the funniest dog ever. He's taller n' me standing on his hind legs, and has the goofiest disposition.
    "Baseball is the only field of endeavor where a man can succeed three times out of ten and be considered a good performer."
    Ted Williams

Still Believes in Santa Xmodius's Avatar

If you can take the size, I highly recommend an English Mastiff. Enormous, giant dog....but very very gentle. And, if push ever came to shove they are very intimidating and protective. I can't recommend a Pit, but you know what you want.

Quote Originally Posted by leicoolya
    as of now i'm thinking the Pitbull
    If you like the looks of the pit bull, you could also consider a Staffordshire Bull Terrier, they're relatives of the American Pit Bull (smaller). Staffies are very popular in Europe, and they're wonderful with kids. As with all dogs, you MUST socialize them when young. I have several relatives with Staffordshires, and they are the neatest dogs I've been around. I think several people have mentioned it already, but it's always nice to rescue animals as well.....I can't stand the thought of those dogs all lined up in kennels with the clock ticking.

Yea i looked at the mastiffs, i looked very hard at em. Awesome breed, just alittle too big for me. Just found a Pit bull/Cane Corso mix that will be due in Jan. So i'll see what those pups look like. I love the Bully look of Mastiffs and bigger bulldogs. We own a Female now and i want a nice big boy

User who chose to leave. Franksmith's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Xmodius
    If you can take the size, I highly recommend an English Mastiff. Enormous, giant dog....but very very gentle. And, if push ever came to shove they are very intimidating and protective. I can't recommend a Pit, but you know what you want.

Here is good advice from Xmodius and I would add... if you need the intimidating factor you might also go with a Bull Mastiff... Pitt looks but even bigger and trained to guard dog but not attack/kill. They were originally trained to tackle and hold. Best part is they are very good family dogs being very affectionate and gentle (as much as is possible for a dog this size) My brother has one (I am watching it right now for a month or two while he is on vacation and she is a sweety.

Personally.... I say if you want protection, buy a gun and get a carry permit... then you are in charge of the decisions for defense.... dogs unless kept 24/7 in an inescapable environment make for an unpredictable weapon and huge liability and let's face it (I hope everyone feels the same) whatever you lose in a lawsuit will not be enough if a kid gets seriously hurt and scared for life.... OR even worse!

EDIT: Oops... I saw that you replied to the Mastiff's idea too late. Nothing personal other than the facts, I missed it because I have you on my "ignore" list due to your avatar and signature.

Leading Puffer Fish Dr. Stogie Fresh's Avatar

You might also give Boston Terrier's a look. I have three of them and they have been the best. See photo below:

The Dogs of Christmas

The Doc
    Dr. Stogie Fresh
    Visit Stogie Fresh at: http://www.stogiefresh.com

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast