Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Banned Members/New Members

This is a discussion on Banned Members/New Members within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I've been hanging around here for less than two months now, but have seen enough that I plan on staying ...

Banned Members/New Members

I've been hanging around here for less than two months now, but have seen enough that I plan on staying so long as the jungle will have me

In my time here I have seen MANY great acts of kindness/generosity etc., and some things/people not so nice. Recently there has been a spate of "incidents" I have witnessed that have led to some members being banned.

I thought that it may be helpful to have some kind of "Banned Members List" for the new/newer members to be able to refer to. Perhaps the list could contain the banned members name, along with a link to the threads that caused the banning in the first place.I'm strictly talking about behavior here, I have no interest in what someone did someplace else I am interested in what happens here. It would give new gorillas the ability to see first hand the kinds of things /activities that ultimately cause trouble for the jungle and hopefully provide a) a learning experience here and b)a warning if you should cross paths with these people elsewhere. By being able to read the threads of what occured the member would be able to judge for themselves.It's true that a simple search could reveal the same thing, but having it all in one place may be easier especially for new gorillas not that familiar with the system.

I was originally going to send this message to IHT, Da Klugs, one of the other mods or the big guy himself, but thought that maybe others had some thoughts on the issue. I am not trying to change things, that's not my job so please don't go all on me.

Just thought it may be helpful to provide this info for the new members. If this has been addressed in the past, or is already here and I just haven't been able to locate it yet, thanks for pointing that out to me and telling me where to find it.Thanks for listening/reading.

Re: Banned Members/New Members

I don't really see the point.

There are rules and stickies posted that, if read, should clear up just about any questions or confusion on how to behave. This is also a pretty active community with plenty of gorillas to gently (and occasionally a little less gently) nudge someone back onto the straight and narrow when they stray.

When somebody does get banned, it's not like it comes unexpectedly out of the blue. It seems to me this would be just like rubbernecking at a car crash. That's just my two cents.
    What would Lemmy do?

D. Generate posts: Now with added fake British accent! Brilliant! Cheers!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

I agree with D, the people that I've seen banned have been total ass clowns. In fact, it took them a long time to get banned! It could not have been a surprise as they (the ones since I've been here) all received multiple warnings. I think the lessons for all of us newbies are pretty apparent, it's ok to make mistakes, just don't do it on purpose, and for chit's sake don't do it again. If someone corrects you, take it as constructive and listen. Be honest, be true to your word, and be a stand up guy/girl. Lastly, don't be an abrasive jerk.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish LT Rich's Avatar

Im with D. Generate with this one, good idea but i dont see why. You have to be pretty stupid or scandalous to be banned.

LT

Will Work for Boli GM's.. Neuromancer's Avatar

There's also a policy of what goes on here stays here, and what happens on other boards stays there so it really doesn't matter if you run into anyone, elsewhere, that was banned here...it would be meaningless...furthermore, a number of the threads that caused the problem were deleted as they became pointless flame sessions by those who were banned, so you really can't go find anything as CS has a no flaming policy and they stick to it unlike other boards...

PS - If you want to see what not to do, Illuminatus put up a thread about a commotion on a motorcycle forum that he's part of...find and read that and it will begin to give you an idea of how not to act....
    Last edited by Neuromancer; 04-29-2006 at 01:31 PM.
    There is as much water on Earth now as three billion years ago. While the amount of water has remained static, the amount of Tequila and Triple Sec available for making Margaritas has expanded enormously. So you see, we have made progress after all.

blame me. Im ok with it.

To see all the banned users, all one has to do is look at the member list & sort by worst reputation. All banned users have "banned user" titles and a banned bad monkey avitar.

Quote Originally Posted by poker
    To see all the banned users, all one has to do is look at the member list & sort by worst reputation. All banned users have "banned user" titles and a banned bad monkey avitar.
    thanks

Just out of curiosity, I went through some of the member list and looked over some threads which caused banning. It was useful reading, and I think, rather revealing about the common sensibilities of members and moderators. It would appear that Club Stogie is pretty old fashioned in a good sort of way.

I was interested to see that a lot of banning had to do with disrespect. Disrespect of women is almost a cinch to get you the boot post-haste. We'd have been a pretty good bunch of cowboys, I think. Jumping on a BOTL personally rather than arguing an idea can be monkey-inducing, but not always. If someone is exhibiting arsehat behavior, it is somewhat amusing to see folks crowding each other out of the way to ding the offender, and then be disappointed when the banning happens because they can no longer ding RG. I'm just happy that I haven't gotten my foot jammed in so deep that I have been on the receiving end of one of these epic beatdowns! Someday, some lout is going to hit -100, I just know it.

I encourage others like myself who have only been here for a few months to look the examples over. I'm sometimes bad to not read all the rules closely, and examples (especially if they have pretty pictures and lots of three to five letter words) can give me a better understanding about what not to do. Some of them make for amusing reading, too.

That said, this doesn't really directly apply to the recent ban. I hope to see George back soon and contributing. He did a really generous and memorable newbie trade with me a while back and has kept the cigar lottery going, and made informative posts on a wide variety of subjects. I really don't know exactly what happened but have a general idea, and that is all I need to know. But I would like to see him come back. I will, however, spare folks the Rodney King plea...

Pointless interjection completed.

Quote Originally Posted by TideRoll
    Disrespect of women is almost a cinch to get you the boot post-haste. We'd have been a pretty good bunch of cowboys, I think.
    Sure, but t'kay can threaten to beat me up, and does anyone ding her?

Get yer minds outta the gutter!!

Some pretty good thoughts there, Tim, a lot of truth to the things we take offense to in the Jungle.

Vodka is food....who's hungry?

You're welcome, Dave.

Quote Originally Posted by icehog3
    Get yer minds outta the gutter!!
    Only if I have to. It doesn't really like to be in unfamiliar places for too long.

Quote Originally Posted by TideRoll
    Only if I have to. It doesn't really like to be in unfamiliar places for too long.
    Perverted minds think alike!

Vodka is food....who's hungry?

You're welcome, Dave.

1 thing that will cause trouble for you 100% of the time is not communicating with the people that you are doing trades, splits, etc. The 15 seconds you take to post or pm and explain your situation will save your reputation here. If you cant do that then you better be dead, or in a hospital, or picked up by homeland security and sent to gitmo.

blame me. Im ok with it.

Quote Originally Posted by mr.c
    1 thing that will cause trouble for you 100% of the time is not communicating with the people that you are doing trades, splits, etc. The 15 seconds you take to post or pm and explain your situation will save your reputation here. If you cant do that then you better be dead, or in a hospital, or picked up by homeland security and sent to gitmo.

....and thus folks, is THE answer!