Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Shipping wine and cigars from US to Canada

This is a discussion on Shipping wine and cigars from US to Canada within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Can any of the brothers let me know the laws on shipping wine and cigars to Canada? I want to ...

Shipping wine and cigars from US to Canada

Can any of the brothers let me know the laws on shipping wine and cigars to Canada?

I want to double bomb a buddy and don't know if it's legal to ship booze and sticks up there.

Thanks, Vinnie

Re: Shipping wine and cigars from US to Canada

Legal I am guessing but probably. I have had many packages of each shipped up and opened I assume if it was not legal they would have been seized. However your target may be subject to a butt load of tax & duties. PM me if you would like to discuss
    PINK is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by K Baz View Post
    However your target may be subject to a butt load of tax & duties.
    +1

It's a hit and miss game for customs. It probably won't but if it gets flagged then there certainly w/b duties and taxes assessed.

Puffer Fish with some spikes rborrell's Avatar

I just received a package from a BOTL in the US. It was 18 sticks that I bought from him. I was surprised to find them in my mailbox (community "Super Box") this afternoon. On the customs label, he checked on "gift" and the contents read "cigars (1" with a $45 value. It was not opened, I had no customs notice, nothing. Shocked.

It is hit or miss.
    ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~ ~
    Hurry Hard!!! - Russ Howard, King of Curlers

No longer a community member.

I know the law for cigars.

250% taxe and duty.

So a 100$ box, you should expect a 250$ tax and duty!

Welcome to Canada!!!!!!!!!!

Just to balance that story I purchased 10 Edmondo Dantes from Mexico and it was lets say labelled in forgien language and did not in any way indicate there were beautiful cigars in the package and I was asked to pay 350 $ in duties.

It is so hit and miss. More Miss then Hit but when they Hit they can hit HARD.
    PINK is the new BLACK

Quote Originally Posted by K Baz View Post
    Just to balance that story I purchased 10 Edmondo Dantes from Mexico and it was lets say labelled in forgien language and did not in any way indicate there were beautiful cigars in the package and I was asked to pay 350 $ in duties.

It is so hit and miss. More Miss then Hit but when they Hit they can hit HARD.
    I feel your pain Kevin! I've been nailed a few times and like Tango said, 250% is right on the money when they apply the taxes and duties properly! OUCH!!!

Wow, I had no idea...

I'd be better off sending him a check, and telling him to go buy a couple of nice bottles and a few sticks.

Wow, and I thought SCHIP was bad!

Thanks for the info...
    Vinnie

Elder Puffer Fish Leader karmaz00's Avatar

hit and miss, i have had a few packages that have said "hand made gift" they seem to make it through

I think the moral of the story is pm one of the Canadian Fog and ask for tips - no one is trying to discourage you we want to warn you and hope you ask for guidance but we also don't want to anger the mod gods
    PINK is the new BLACK