Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

I've been burglarized!

This is a discussion on I've been burglarized! within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I came home from work today and discovered someone had burglarized my house. The bastards took 3 LCD TVs, 2 ...

US Air Force, Retired jimrockford's Avatar

I've been burglarized!

I came home from work today and discovered someone had burglarized my house. The bastards took 3 LCD TVs, 2 laptops, jewelry, and other assorted items. I haven't been this pissed in a long time.

I spent all afternoon with the Hillsborough County Sheriff's department (who have been great) and did what I could to prevent my bank accounts/credit cards from being raped. Losing those laptops really hurt.

The reason for my post though is to ask about a UPS delivery that was also taken. I have a delivery confirmation for my latest CBid order that says the package was left at the front door today, but of course it wasn't there when I got home.

So, my question is about what responsibility UPS or CBid have (or should have). I don't believe standard shipping through UPS includes insurance, does it? And, if not, what normally happens if CBid ships something and it doesn't make it to the destination? Who eats the cost?

Naturally, they just happened to pick the day the biggest cigar order I've ever placed would be delivered. I don't think they even care about cigars. They left both of my humidors alone. Bastards.

Press the button Max! Breakaway500's Avatar

Re: I've been burglarized!

At least they did not take your gameroom cash!

Sorry.

If the shipment was not insured through UPS, your homeowners policy may cover it along with your other personal objects.Having proof they were delivered and then missing/stolen should be good enough for the insurance claim.

Just a thought...Maybe that big,juicy UPS bag lured the perps to your door in the first place. I would make different arraingements about parcels in the future. Think about an alarm as well. They are actually inexpensive to set up and maintain..or have a company come in.

Crime sucks.
    Last edited by Breakaway500; 09-28-2010 at 08:56 PM.
    When I think of all the good times that I've wasted..having good times...

39 04 35 N, 108 33 05 W gjcab09's Avatar

Man Kevin, what a tough thing to come home to. Don't know what to tell you about your sticks, maybe HO insurance since you were burgled? Hope they catch the bastards!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader jeepthing's Avatar

Dude that sucks. Hope it works out for you
    Whatever it is -- I didn't do it!

Quote Originally Posted by Breakaway500 View Post
    Sorry.

If the shipment was not insured through UPS, your homeowners policy may cover it along with your other personal objects.Having proof they were delivered and then missing/stolen should be good enough for the insurance claim.
    My thoughts exactly.
    You would be better off claiming it on your home owner's insurance. I think once UPS drops it off, its out of thier hands.

Sorry for you loss on the items too.

I was afraid of that. I'm renting the house I'm in now and never got around to getting renter's insurance. I've always had it in the past and kept saying I needed to get it but never did.

I also already have an alarm but don't have it monitored and didn't even have it activated. I was practically begging to be robbed.

I see UPS has lots of information about filing a claim for a lost package on their site but you have to wait 24 hours to do anything. I'm going to see about that tomorrow and check with the home owner to see if they have a policy that will cover it.

If nothing else, I've learned to be better prepared next time. I feel pretty stupid right about now.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader fuente~fuente's Avatar

Man, that just sucks! I absolutely hate a thief.
    Twitter @ OB1theStogie
    Coming at you from the Dirty Dirty...

Maturing Puffer Fish AxemansHell's Avatar

Sorry to hear this. People really suck sometimes.

I am GUESSING UPS drops packages at the door under certain dollar thresholds without a signature, but requires a signature over certain thresholds ~>$100. This is an observation based on my personal experience.

I think this is a calculated risk on their part based on the number of packages stolen and the time it takes to get a signature. I would start with them and tell them the package they delivered shows delivered and appears to have been stolen. They might just right it off as a normal business expense to them, but be prepared to sign for EVERYTHING in the future.

Good luck!

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes bigslowrock's Avatar

Hope you don't have state farm. I got robbed almost a month ago and they are still dragging major ass.

Sorry to hear about this, its never happened to me so i can only imagine what your going threw.
    "Laugh now Cry later"

Aw crap!

I'm really saddened to hear that this happened to you Kevin-....

Dafiddla
    "What Could be Finer, than a Spanish Cedar Liner?"

F'ers. Too bad you couldn't walk in on them.

Ole Crusty Spiked Fish tpharkman's Avatar

I believe UPS offers standard insurance of $100 on every package but you might want to double check.

Sorry to hear that this happened.
    Agnes, have you seen my Don Diegos?

I submitted a claim through UPS today. I guess I'll see what happens.

I also found my first bit of hope today when someone turned on my laptop and connected it to the Internet. I now have their IP and added it to my case with the Sheriff. If they go online again, I've got a surprise ready for them.

Young Puffer Fish ScoobyLovesJazz's Avatar

Sorry to hear you got hit, but I am glad to hear that you at least have some leads on catching the f*rs. Best of luck and good hunting!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast