Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast

Trying to make a difference in a life...

This is a discussion on Trying to make a difference in a life... within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I've been debating with myself whether or not I should even post this here because I don't want my BOTLs ...

Trying to make a difference in a life...

I've been debating with myself whether or not I should even post this here because I don't want my BOTLs and SOTLs here to think that I'm trying to garner any praise or atta' boys... but because of the friendships that I've found here on Puff, I can't imagine not letting you guys know what's been going on with me recently.

It's probably not too obvious, but I haven't been around the forum that much. I try to post when I am able, and I know I miss a ton of threads that I should probably reply to just so I can offer my goofy opinions or maybe even give out a bit of advice.

In early February of this year, I came up with the thought of having a Christian music and worship festival. I jokingly called it Lutherpalooza (I'm Lutheran and well, Luther was a big fan of music, so I thought, what the heck). Anyway, the pastor at my church said he thought it sounded like a fun idea, but I put it on the back burner. One day, I walk into our church and one of the other members approached me and says, "Hey, were you the one thinking about putting together a music festival?" I said that I was and she began to relate the story of a young lady here in our town who was diagnosed with a very rare form of cancer, which had manifested itself on her pancreas. Unfortunately, the type of cancer she has also has a 90% chance of coming back. Anyway, she further told me that the woman had no health insurance and wondered if maybe we could use the music festival as a means to raising some money. Well, the idea stuck and in May we began formally planning this thing.

Now, I'm not exactly an organized person... in fact, when people talk about me, they generally talk about my "disorganizational skills" rather than my "organizational skills". Fortunately, the lady who came to me to ask about the festival is relatively well-organized. Thank God. LOL. Anyway, we had planning meetings and long story short, we pulled this thing off this last Sunday on the 18th. We had 6 participating praise bands and we were able to put together a half-day festival from 1:30 until 5pm. We were also able to raise over $2000 at the festival... which is being matched by Thrivent Financial for Lutherans. So overall, we will be able to give this young lady a check for $4000+. Now, I fully understand that this isn't even a drop in the bucket for the bills she has and will continue to have.

Now understand, I enjoy giving and have always done so on kind of an individual basis to my church, to various charities, etc. But never in my life, have I felt this amazing wholeness and happiness in my heart to have been a part (a small part, because we had an amazing group of people working on this one we got it rolling) of something that could help someone like this. It was a huge amount of work, all made worthwhile by the amazing generosity of those who came to the event.

Anyway, like I said, I just truly wanted to share this with you guys because for whatever reason, Puff has come into my life and I feel like I know so many of you and have made so many good friends here... and it just seemed like something I would share with my friends and I just kind of wanted to let everyone know why I've been somewhat quiet as of late.

Thanks for reading.
    Beer is proof that God loves us and wants us to be happy. -Benjamin Franklin
    http://www.imagekind.com/artists/nealw6971

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Oldmso54's Avatar

Re: Trying to make a difference in a life...

Thanks Neal - just another example that the giving nature of Puff BOTL goes far and beyond cigars. Kudo's to you brother - you make us all proud.

I ain't ! I'm just a little large for my size!

The Karate Squid Aninjaforallseasons's Avatar

That's awesome, Neal! Glad to hear it went well!
    On Instagram as @stogieninja || Reviewer for Blind Man's Puff
    Check out cigarlopedia.com - the most comprehensive cigar database ever created!

Full grown Puffer Fish jfeva0049's Avatar

great job Neal. i hope you continue to bless your city with your warm heart.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Very nice!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

That's amazing Neal! the world could use many more people like you in it

Amazing work brother. I doubt many would do what you did.

I certainly hope that you enjoyed your favourite stick after the festivities!

Quote Originally Posted by Wills View Post
    Amazing work brother. I doubt many would do what you did.

I certainly hope that you enjoyed your favourite stick after the festivities!
    As a matter of fact, I celebrated with a Padron and a Pale Ale. It was nice to finally relax.

Elder Puffer Fish Leader primetime76's Avatar

Wish I could bump you for this bro...isn't giving back an amazing feeling???
    It is easier to ask for forgivness than to ask for permission!

Quote Originally Posted by primetime76 View Post
    Wish I could bump you for this bro...isn't giving back an amazing feeling???
    It is... a hundred-fold.

Central Cali Cigar Crew falconman515's Avatar

You have an amazing heart and spirit and to go above and beyond and use your idea of this festival to help someone in need is amazing.

Glad to see people like you in this world willing to take your time and effort and for others. Wish we had more of you brother!

Thanks for sharing this great story and god bless you, your family and this sweet lady you have helped so much already.

Thats the real meaning of a PIF right there!!!!!!!!!!!!

LOB Underwater Director Danfish98's Avatar

I knew I liked you Neal, you're Lutheran! Oh and also because you do awesomely generous things like this. Well done sir!

Luva Sweet Easy Retrohale aroma's Avatar

Way to go!

Funny thing is, you're as blessed in the giving as the recipient is in the receiving.
    puff-o-matic (cigar puff timer)

Elder Puffer Fish Leader

Neal - there's often a threefold blessing in this kind of giving. You've seen the first two - the recipient of your gift was blessed, and you were blessed in giving it to her. The third aspect that often comes about (sometimes much later) is that other people, seeing what you did, will want to do something to help as well, and the blessing spreads.

Thanks for sharing this.
    Puff the Magic Blowfish lived in the sea; But how he smoked underwater is a mystery to me.

Awaiting Confirmation karatekyle's Avatar

Awesome story Neal. Its so cool to see people not really do a whole lot. It keeps us free for when Christ does a whole lot through those people! Saved brothers save brothers, brother!

Page 1 of 3 1 2 3 LastLast