Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast

Anyone into old school shaving?

This is a discussion on Anyone into old school shaving? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; I'm not talking straight razors, i'm talking safety razors, along with shaving soap and a boar brush. I haven't got ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Anyone into old school shaving?

I'm not talking straight razors, i'm talking safety razors, along with shaving soap and a boar brush. I haven't got any of that stuff yet, but I want to, for 4 reasons, it's cheaper in the long run, it gives a better shave, it sounds like the boar brush against my face would feel amazing and its old school and I think old school is better in some cases.

Anyways is it worth it? It seems like taking that extra ten minutes to shave would be worth it for the better shave, and less irritation.

Re: Anyone into old school shaving?

Subscribed, because I'm vaguely interested.

I'd probably never get into this, though. I'm extremely lazy when it comes to shaving. I often go a couple of weeks before I get enough shag that it starts to annoy me enough to shave.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

There are folks interested in this. Commander Quan actually got me interested in it and I love it.

Here's a forum devoted to wet shaving. Badger & Blade

For me, I absolutely hated shaving. I kept a razor in the shower and when I just couldn't stand it any more, I'd shave. I don't know why but it was such a chore.

Once I found wet shaving, I guess it's become kind of a ritual or process for me. I picked up a razor from CQ and he also sold me a blade sampler pack. I got some shaving soap and went to town. Now I find myself thinking, "I've got to remember to shave tonight." And it's not such a chore. I realize that's odd, adding steps and it not turning into more of a chore but it has.

I don't spend much time on the above forum. What little time I have is spent here on Puff. But, for me, it's been revolutionary!
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Yes. Straight razor and DE razor. Before I went to wet shaving, I couldnt shave more than once every 3 weeks or so due to irritation and ingrown hairs. Now I shave daily and enjoy it.

I would hit antique stores and find a vintage DE razor, then order a blade sampler pack ( bullgooseshaving.net has some good deals) some soaps to try and a cheap boar brush. If you get into it, you will probably like a badger brush better. Boar is coarser, but badger lathers better. I use a boar brush with my preshave soap because it massages the soap into my face better, then a boar with the shave soap for better, more protective lather.

If you have any questions, ask away and I will give the best advice/opinions I can. I'll put it this way, that mach5 crap will never touch my face again. Same for the foam in a can. That stuff is all trash.

No longer a community member.

This is a really old photo. Probably just 2-3 weeks in to starting my DE kick.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes fivespdcat's Avatar

DE shaver here. To me it is absolutely the way to go. I use either a Palmolive shave stick (from Germany) or TOBS/DR Harris puck. Lather up with a Badger hair brush and then cut it all down with a Merkur Futur loaded with a Feather blade.

As far as is it worth it? Yeah, in the long run it's definitely cheaper. There are some initial start up costs for the tools, but you're not spending $5 a cartridge every 2 weeks so it doesn't take long to recoup the cash.

Finally, does it make a difference? Big time. Everyone I converted has stuck to it, just because it doesn't really take that much more time, but it makes a huge difference in the way your face feels. Check out B&B and you'll get a lot of info, but beware, the slope is not only for cigars!

Puffer Fish with some spikes RedZeppelin's Avatar

I tried DE shaving for a couple of weeks and got some great tips from the aforementioned Badger and Blade community. I rather enjoyed the experience but in the end went back to my boring old electric razor. I found that the electric gave me just as close of a shave in a fraction of the time.

I have a very tough beard and sensitive skin -- not a good combo for wet-shaving. There are a few areas on my face that I just couldn't get smooth without making so many passes that it would cause irritation.

If I had to wet-shave I'd choose a DE over a disposable any day, though.

Huge Puffer Fish packed with spikes

Yeah, Abe. I'm kinda hatin' Joe right now for bringing this up. I'm shopping again. I've only got the boar brush you get from a drug store chain and I'm wondering about badger brushes and the like. Stupid slopes!
    It was.....well, let's just say it was.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Quietville's Avatar

Tweezerman badger brush is cheap, much softer than boar, and frankly does a better job.

Amazon.com: Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

I've had one for close to three years now, it works great and I've had no problems

Oh, and Badger and Blade is how I came to puff. Someone there recommended me here!

As far as it being cheaper... it is BY FAR cheaper. The initial investment can be around $20 and last you half a year! Check out mama bear's soaps http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?...=index&cPath=1 they're homemade soaps and they are very nice.

Cremo cream is a great cream to add to a shave soap or cream that isn't slick enough, and is cheap. It has a chemically orange smell to it, though... so that is a little off-putting, but well worth it if you ask me.

Taylor of Bond Street creams are awesome. Trumper's cream is awesome too. As with cigars you pay for quality, but it's well worth it and they'll last a good long time.

Quote Originally Posted by RedZeppelin View Post
    I have a very tough beard and sensitive skin -- not a good combo for wet-shaving.
    I have to very strongly disagree with this. I have sensitive skin and a tough beard and wet shaving was the the cure for irritation, redness, bumps etc. Also, its way faster than an electric. If you had problems, I would say it was due to bad technique. Were you appyling pressure to the razor? All you need is a very light pressure. Also, 3 passes work best, once with the grain, once against the grain and once ear to nose. Smooth as silk and irritation free every time for me.

Quote Originally Posted by Quietville View Post
    Tweezerman badger brush is cheap, much softer than boar, and frankly does a better job.

Amazon.com: Tweezerman Men's Shaving Brush: Health & Personal Care

I've had one for close to three years now, it works great and I've had no problems

Oh, and Badger and Blade is how I came to puff. Someone there recommended me here!

As far as it being cheaper... it is BY FAR cheaper. The initial investment can be around $20 and last you half a year! Check out mama bear's soaps http://mamabearssoaps.com/index.php?...=index&cPath=1 they're homemade soaps and they are very nice.

Cremo cream is a great cream to add to a shave soap or cream that isn't slick enough, and is cheap. It has a chemically orange smell to it, though... so that is a little off-putting, but well worth it if you ask me.

Taylor of Bond Street creams are awesome. Trumper's cream is awesome too. As with cigars you pay for quality, but it's well worth it and they'll last a good long time.
    How did I forget Mama Bears? Ive only got 8 of her soaps... The Ye Olde Barbershoppe is a favorite of mine, as well as Ocean Rain, and the Sea Buckthorn oil is great if your skin is dry. Ive also got Cella, Mitchells Wool fat in my rotation.

Oh yea, if you are from B&B, you might get a kick out of this, I can lather Williams. LOL

Sssssssssssssssssssssssss cartey's Avatar

Ever since I started trying DE safety razor 2 years ago, I never looked back. It's cheaper, it shaves cleaner, and I get to scoff off the Gillette users. LOL

My current favorite set up is:
    Murker DE safety razor
    Personna Israeli platinum chrome blade
    Taylor of Old Bond Street shaving cream
    and unfortunately I only have a cheap Art of Shaving badger brush.

I really want to try straight blade though...

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Fuzzface View Post
    I'm not talking straight razors, i'm talking safety razors, along with shaving soap and a boar brush. I haven't got any of that stuff yet, but I want to, for 4 reasons, it's cheaper in the long run, it gives a better shave, it sounds like the boar brush against my face would feel amazing and its old school and I think old school is better in some cases.

Anyways is it worth it? It seems like taking that extra ten minutes to shave would be worth it for the better shave, and less irritation.

Adam Tx Smoker was very generous and sent me some soap samples a safety razor blades and a straight razor. I ordered a strop and brush and cup online! Can't wait to try it all out thanks again ADAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Hey Guys! Wait for me! piperdown's Avatar

I've tried it and have gone back to using my gillette fusion as it irritated my skin. Tried all the different methods, different blades, different soaps but I kept getting razor rash something fierce.

I had two vintage DE's from my dad, which were cool to have and then picked up the other stuff. Now it just sits in my drawer.

Quote Originally Posted by TonyBrooklyn View Post
    Adam Tx Smoker was very generous and sent me some soap samples a safety razor blades and a straight razor. I ordered a strop and brush and cup online! Can't wait to try it all out thanks again ADAM!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
    Your welcome Tony. Let us know what you think once you've tried it out.

Page 1 of 27 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 ... LastLast