Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Baby names (our first)

This is a discussion on Baby names (our first) within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; My wife and I just had our first, Scout, back in December. 1 - DON'T MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT ...

Re: Baby names (our first)

My wife and I just had our first, Scout, back in December.

1 - DON'T MAKE A BIG DEAL OUT OF NAMES. Everyone will have something to say about names. My wife and I both made separate lists of names we thought we liked. We added names to our list and shared the lists a couple times, vetoing some of the other's suggestions. When it came time to head to the hospital, we had a master list of names (8 I think) that we both concurred.

2 - YOU DON'T HAVE TO HAVE A NAME RIGHT AWAY. In some places, you don't even need to have a name for your child for several weeks, even months, until after your child is born. We hung out with Scout and got to know her in the hospital. She was probably 12 hours old before we decided on her name.

3 - DON'T SHARE YOU NAME IDEAS WITH OTHER PEOPLE, except, of course, your wife. Everyone has an opinion. Don't let people sway your mind. This is your child, not theirs.

Finally, don't sweat names. At 5 weeks you still have a lot of time on your hands that should be doing better things. We bought a house, built out and painted Scout's room, collected (and assembled, ug) the furniture needed, took all the classes insurance/hospitals like you to take (a TON) and so on. Names, IMO, are not as important as making sure you have your home in order. Names will come to you. The house won't take care of itself.

Stan= male
    faye = female
    Austin= male
    Kenneth= male
    Judy= female
    Karen= Female
    john= Male
    Tobacco is a dirty weed. I like it.

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

Hmmmm, I like Faye!

Young Puffer Fish

My girls' middle names are Ayla and Maral.

Thor

Demetrious

Hercules

Larry

Maturing Puffer Fish

Are you going to find out the sex? If so, you could wait until then to start picking names. With our son, I wouldn't even discuss names until we knew he was a boy. Drove my wife nuts, but it was 50% less taxing haha!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

There is no better name for a boy than Timothy, trust me on this one.

And congratulations!!

We will be finding out the sex here in the next 2 months or so. I am hoping that it makes the name game easier when we find out!!!

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish edwardsdigital's Avatar

No... it just makes it harder since you just lost 50% of the possibilities. I had that problem with both of my sons.

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

Brooklyn is a great name for a girl i always thought.
    But lately i have been saying to my girlfriend Jamie.
    Honey if you get pregnant and its a girl lets name her Sandy.
    As far as boys anything masculine is just fine IMHO!
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

I like Brooklyn, just afraid she will shorten it to Brook when she becomes older.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

My wife and I just went through this with our third child (second daughter) born in March. We had a male name all picked out and nothing for a female. Then we found out she was female, and we were up a creek. Of course neither of us liked the names the other had picked out and we went back and forth for a few months.

I was set on Juliet and my wife was set on Arianna. My 4 year old daughter had to get a minor procedure done on her eyes so the doctor gave her some medicine that made her REALLY LOOPY just before going back to the procedure. The nurse asked my daughter what her new baby sister's name was going to be, and under the influence of drugs she responded "Julianna." The nurse told us about this after the fact and my wife and I immediately looked at each other and said "you like it don't you." Such is the story of how we made up our minds about our third child's name.

Some suggestions:

Male - Gunner (a friend of mine named his son this and I love it), Gunther, or Jayden (my son's name, but unfortunately it's really popular right now).

Female - Arianna, Juliet, Juliette, Anya, Elephantisha.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Just1ce's Avatar

Oh, and how rude of me. Congratulations, by the way!

Young Puffer Fish Multislacking's Avatar

Congratulations!

I can't post links quite yet, but you get the gist: wikipedia wiki List_of_Celtic_deities
    Just don't go with "Fagus" from that list.

Gundar is pretty awesome for a boy's name (I've only known one Gundar).
    "Where zen ends, ass kicking begins."

Thanks for the replies everyone. Unfortunately, we lost the baby on May 20th, but will be trying again by the end of the year - when we will still need names!

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast