Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Baby names (our first)

This is a discussion on Baby names (our first) within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; My wife and I are in the beginning stages of picking out baby names (she is 5 weeks). My question ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes shakinghorizons's Avatar

Baby names (our first)

My wife and I are in the beginning stages of picking out baby names (she is 5 weeks). My question - is it really this damn difficult!?!? I have been through hundreds of names and cannot find a single one that even slightly interests me. I would like to pick a name that compliments my Irish heritage, but am coming up with very common US Irish names. I am seeking a "modern" Irish name, but not something common - if that makes sense.

Boy name the wife likes -
    Kayden - sounds too girly for me
    Avery - dated a girl who had a brat kid named Avery
    Ryder - no, just no
    Dylan - Meh
    Bentley - no
    Jace - no

Girl name the wife likes -
    Rayne - no weather names
    Kaylin - Meh

The only boy name that remotely interested me was Kane, but that is more of a dogs name.

Thoughts/suggestions?

Re: Baby names (our first)

Brendan
    Christian
    Mooseknuckle

Not all Irish but good

Liam boy (great Irish name)

Kylee girl

Puffer Fish with many spikes Nature's Avatar

Congratulations! Yes, it can be that difficult. You are starting early in the process and names will come and go. Some will grow on you that you hadn't really considered before and new ones will become known.
    We have used some Irish-like names for our children (even though we have little if any Irish heritage)
    Some we considered: Shea, Tierney, Brenna, Malloy, Mclean, Liam, Keegan, Killian, Kieran, Reagan, Quinn, Mackenna
    There are many others! You could always make a more common name Irish-like by changing the spelling a bit too. Have fun with it! Good luck!
    Last edited by Nature; 04-03-2013 at 10:34 PM.

Sequester.
    THE RENT IS TOO DAMN HIGH!

Puffer Fish with some spikes

Tony fits boy or girl Jus sayin

In all seriousness grats!!!

Great suggestions everyone! I really like Killian, but that was shot down immediately.

My other "requirement" is that the name can't be shortened ie Lucas - Luke, William - Will/Bob

I do like Annika, but am concerned of it being shortened to Ann.

Also, something about a name starting with "Mc" or Mac" just doesn't interest me.

Puffer Fish with many spikes nfusion770's Avatar

Congrats. I would just go through one of the names books or internet lists and make a brainstorm list of anything you could like. Then start whittling it down. After doing that on the first we have a handful for each gender that we both like and could go with.
    He's thrown a kettle over a pub, what have you done?

Catfish

Congrats! Will this be your first child? If so then super congrats. A man never truly knows what love is until they hold there own child for the first time.

If not what are your other kids names? it will help in deciding a name for the new baby and also show what names you have used and liked.

I have 2 kids a boy and a girl. My wife is Puerto rican and im a mutt with a greek background and last name. My sons name is Antaeus. ( an-tay-us) There has never been a person i came across in real life to hear my sons name and not like it, ask where it comes from or ask if they could use it themselves. Its a greek name and goes back to greek mythology. i heard it and waited for a son. My daughters name came from a little girl i use to know and love that had sickle cell. when i joined the military i lost touch with her but never forgot about her and named my daughter after her. T'Liyah (ta-lee-ya).

I think the name should be personal to you and your family and be something you will never regret using. They should be happy to have there name and the reason they got it.

Just dont name them Richard, yea i know,... or bill.....or john....mary......sally......sue.... you get it, unless its a family name passed down. there are just to many pretty names to use the same old boring names these days. Have fun in your search for the "right" name. It will click when you hear it. and congrat again

Edit; sorry didnt see it says (our first).... super congrats!

Puffer Fish with many spikes Nature's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by nfusion770 View Post
    Congrats. I would just go through one of the names books or internet lists and make a brainstorm list of anything you could like. Then start whittling it down. After doing that on the first we have a handful for each gender that we both like and could go with.

This is pretty much the same process we used. We never named any of our children (7) until after we saw them. Sure we had a list of possibilities to choose from, but a few of them we swayed away from our front runners once we saw and held them.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish OldSkoolTarHeel's Avatar

My ex and I went through a similar process. We both had names we liked, but none of them were like by both of us. And you should also take into consideration your last name. I was teased growing up because people can't read and would always pronounce my last name as "wiener." Well, we both REALLY liked the name Harrison for a son, but we couldn't. If I were a kid and knew someone with that name, I'd call them a hairy wiener all day long. So we compromised and that is our son's middle name. We ended up choosing Spencer, and we're both happy with our decision.
    “I have to laugh when I think of the first cigar, because it was probably just a bunch of rolled up tobacco leaves” ~Jack Handey

Puffer Fish with many spikes Sp@rky426's Avatar

first off congratulations, second goodbye cigar budget(at least for me it was). went through this same thing with our daughter (8 months old) with a name of irish heritage...decided on Raegan both like it very much. not sure how that helps your situation at all but yea. good luck and cheers, once you get that figured out time to decide what to smoke on that day.

Thanks everyone! We are very excited and of course want to make sure everything is perfect. We will be very considerate of their name, now and for the future.
    Cigar budget?? HA! I buy them very rarely now, so no change there.
    I have a very German last name, that doesn't rhyme with anything (trust me people have tried, LOL), so that shouldn't be quite the issue, but thanks for the heads up!

I really think (hope) that it will get a bit easier once we find out the sex. That way we aren't searching through both genders.

Bruck or Bruckina would be nice.

Resident Perdomo Whore Wicked_Rhube's Avatar

Boy- Raylan, as in Raylan Givens....
    Girl- Raylan, as in Raylan Givens....
    And its Done.
    "... it has always been my rule never to smoke when asleep and never to refrain when awake." -Mark Twain

Page 1 of 4 1 2 3 4 LastLast