Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Migraine

This is a discussion on Migraine within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Use to have them quite often as a teen and young adult. Have not had one for many years until...this ...

Not Here

Migraine

Use to have them quite often as a teen and young adult. Have not had one for many years until...this morning. Pain nearly insufferable and I have no idea what brought it on after all these years.

For others who suffer these, I truly feel for you. I hope this is an anomaly and not the return of these horrid things.
    BIA!!!

Re: Migraine

I am one of those lucky bastiches who has them thanks to an old injury ( neck ) as well as blood pressure. I have a kit assembled for knocking them down including drugs to cure the nausea and potent pain and blood pressure meds. They always start with light sensitivity and an aura thats like when you have been in the public pool all day and your eyes are a little burned from chlorine. These migraines are no joke because the side effects can be deadly. I have an auto injector of Sumatriptan that gets used on the first sign and that flat out knocks the thing out.
    Sadly I have to forgo coffee and smokes because they both cause vaso constriction making it worse.
    If your migraines continue its important to see the doctor as they can be related to everything from a brain tumor to hormone issues like too much estrogen from having low T. Good luck and thanks for the understanding of migraineurs.

Not Here

I may have misdiagnosed. I had the same symptoms that I use to have when I would get them long ago. Throbbing right behind the eyes that could be flt with every heartbeat. Nausea, "flashing" of light in the eyes, etc. It seems to be nearly gone now though and I remember they used to last a loooong time when I would get them. I hope this is the case. I hope you and all the other migraine sufferers the best of luck in dealing with them in the future. Hopefully one day science can figure something out to eliminate them altogether.
    BIA!!!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader dj1340's Avatar

I know your pain. I haven't had one in quite awhile now, but used to get them often. Light triggered mine, going from darker area out into
    daylight and the big culprit was reflection off something shiny. Eyes would feel funny and then the gray spots blocking my vision. Nausea
    and then headache of all headaches. Dark room with medicine and cold cloth on my neck helped, laid out for at least 2 hours.
    No fun at all.
    The older I get, the better I used to be.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Bad Andy's Avatar

I get them every three-four weeks. They are awful. I try to rest and relax as much as possible, but usually that doesn't help. I do take OTC Extra Strength Excedrin, and it helps a little. Drink lots of water, and occasionally an iced tea or coke (something with some caffeine). Time is the only real thing that will make these go away.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Wished they could find out cause.

I didn't start having them until I turned 40 - been having them for past 26 years.

Limited on what I can take.

Here lately all I have is the blurred vision and auras(sp?) and headache follows in about 18 hours. Since Midrin was discontinued, I take 2 capacets at onset.
    KL License #2157

Puffer Fish with some spikes JeepGuy's Avatar

I don't get them often but when I do they are BAD. I went to the hospital a few years ago because we thought I was having a stroke. I lost my peripheral vision then started losing random areas of my vision. I could look at a book and not be able to read what was on the page because it looked blank. One whole side of my body started going numb from my foot all the way to my cheek. I couldn't complete sentences. Turns out it was a major migraine. I get them every 4-6 months and when they hit I am useless for about 24 hours. I need to lay in bed in a pitch black, silent room and try and fall asleep. Just about every time I get one, it starts with my peripheral vision closing in.

I remember when I was younger my dad used to have these terrible migranes where he would get home from work and sit in the dark in his bedroom for the rest of the night. Over the last couple years I get them on and off, excedrin seems to help, but sometimes...

Puffer Fish with some spikes ch3rrytw1st's Avatar

Does anybody get visual migraines? I've had them since I was about 12. Wasn't diagnosed until I discovered the intarweb and my dr. agreed with my self-diagnosis. Google it. It's rather fasciinating.

I've only had two migraines. Damn, they're memorable. My sister gets them all the time. She's tried at least 20 remedies, to no avail.
    Gurkha is the main reason I have trust issues.

Full grown Puffer Fish

Googled - interesting for sure.

Now I can relate to this reading. Nobody's ever mentioned this type.

By the way, doc says Midrin available again. But he gave me a script for something else that has caffeine in it which I thought was a trigger for some.

Anyway, started keeping a log showing date and notes.

May be the sticks????? Hope not!

Only had to go to doc with the first one to get shot.

Don't like to be around noise of any type, it hurts.

Thanks for sharing.

Quote Originally Posted by ch3rrytw1st View Post
    Does anybody get visual migraines? I've had them since I was about 12. Wasn't diagnosed until I discovered the intarweb and my dr. agreed with my self-diagnosis. Google it. It's rather fasciinating.
    KL License #2157

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

No joke for sure i had an uncle Freddy R.I.P. Got them so bad he had to lay in a dark room and be administered Morphine by injection. He eventually became a heroin addict and died of an overdose. Technology in the late 60's was not what it is today. Feel better and always seek medical attention.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Puffer Fish with some spikes ch3rrytw1st's Avatar

Good luck in finding a solution. I don't get them nearly as often but they are just as bad. The visual ones still freak me out. It takes me a few minutes to determine if I'm seeing things then I realize what's going on. Often I feel as if I need to pull over (if I'm driving) or sit down in a quiet room. The pain usually comes after the visual part is over. Sometimes they are pain free (when I'm lucky)

I used to have about 1 severe migraine per month. I finally started seeing a chiropractor as per some family recommendations after a few months with the chiropractor I not only stopped having migraines but I didn't have a regular headache for over 2 years. So if it becomes a major problem I would explore that route. Well I hope that helps and I pray it's a long long time until you ever have a migraine again

Full grown Puffer Fish

Interesting - especially if your serious!

Only been to one in my life, don't remember why I went, but within 30 minutes after leaving office I could barely walk due to soreness and stiffness. He popped me where I didn't know it would pop/crack.

Were migraines sole reason you went?

No being smart by no means, just interested.

Quote Originally Posted by GBPackers View Post
    I used to have about 1 severe migraine per month. I finally started seeing a chiropractor as per some family recommendations after a few months with the chiropractor I not only stopped having migraines but I didn't have a regular headache for over 2 years. So if it becomes a major problem I would explore that route. Well I hope that helps and I pray it's a long long time until you ever have a migraine again
    KL License #2157