Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Heat -

This is a discussion on Heat - within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Growing up I remember getting our first fan for the house - a box fan for one room. Always enjoyed ...

Full grown Puffer Fish

Heat -

Growing up I remember getting our first fan for the house - a box fan for one room. Always enjoyed going to a friends house because they had a fan in every room of the house and with the open windows it was great sleeping for sure.

Heat wave, I think we've become soft to the airconditioning and refrigeration in homes.

Why I remember when the ice truck run by the house out in the country and Mom would buy a block that was wrapped in burlap. No telling where all that burlap had been prior to wrapping the ice.

Now, I don't like winter weather, but slap me if you hear me complain about the heat.

God gave us trees to get under, sometimes a blowing wind, and water to drink and bathe in.

Well, my three cents for the summer.

Just hope they don't route any of my orders though Death Valley!
    KL License #2157

No longer a community member.

Re: Heat -

I'm not a huge fan of hot weather but 2013 and 2012 have been years where my schedule has forced me to begin my ultra running race season in the summer rather than the spring. I did a 31 mile race last August when it was 85* at 0600 and that just sucks! I find that being outside a lot year round helps me acclimate better as the seasons change, but I have a 50k in 4 weeks and a 50 miler the last weekend of August and I'm getting a little nervous about both. In that kind of weather it is impossible to stay ahead of your hydration needs and so you just try to negate the deficit as much as possible. Virginia is weird because we get can get a good amount of snow in the winter and be in the 20s for weeks, but come summertime we roll right into the upper 90s with a sticky type of humidity.

I'm a Seattle boy. Born and Raised. I grew up at a higher latitude. I grew up next to the water. I grew up next to the mountains.
    If it hits 70, then I'm starting to get warm. I'll start sweating, sitting still, before it hits 80.
    I'll complain about the heat as soon as I see blue sky.
    Give me clouds
    Give me an occasional rain.
    Give me 65 degrees and cloudy and I'm happy.

Young Fish

112 here today, tomorrow expected to be worse. A fan isn't going to cut it.

Yep, advancement in technology sucks. I really miss the days when I was growing up without an airconditioner & the nights were regularly 95*F minimum. I mean I slept great back then without even a fan.....NOT!
    Refuses to remain the Droid they were all looking for.

I can't stand the heat, 25c (77f) is up uppermost limit. You can always put on a jacket but there is only so much you can take off!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Cremeika's Avatar

I grew up in Nebraska but lived for 17 years in Vegas and I still will take the heat over the cold any day of the week. In the cold my fingers don't bend very well.
    No matter what temperature the room is, it's always room temperature!

Quote Originally Posted by The Nothing View Post
    I'm a Seattle boy. Born and Raised. I grew up at a higher latitude. I grew up next to the water. I grew up next to the mountains.
    If it hits 70, then I'm starting to get warm. I'll start sweating, sitting still, before it hits 80.
    I'll complain about the heat as soon as I see blue sky.
    Give me clouds
    Give me an occasional rain.
    Give me 65 degrees and cloudy and I'm happy.
    I grew up in Woodinville, WA and mostly remember lots of wet stuff. Then I joined the forest service to fight fires and found out that on the other side of the mountains there be desert and searing sunlight all the way through Montana. Unfortunately the USN finally left me here in Chicago where it can be 50 degrees one day and then a "heat dome" lands on us and its 99 to 109 like last year. Without a doubt this part of the country is crapola for extremes in weather. This being an old farmhouse the basement is a constant 55 and just opening it up to the house does the job keeping it livable after the thick plaster absorbs the cool .
    A little help is better than a lot of pity -Celtic Proverb
    Tweet me @mad_bricky FB http://www.facebook.com/mad.bricky

THE MAN WHO LOVES TWANG! TonyBrooklyn's Avatar

I guess between the two i'll pick the heat.
    When its below zero here before 5 a.m in the winter there's no way things get done outside.
    But last week damn it was hot in the 90's, we got it done lots of cold water and breaks to avoid heat stroke.
    “When the power of love overcomes the love of power, the world will know peace.”
    Jimi Hendrix

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Hubby's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by madbricky View Post
    I grew up in Woodinville, WA and mostly remember lots of wet stuff. Then I joined the forest service to fight fires and found out that on the other side of the mountains there be desert and searing sunlight all the way through Montana. Unfortunately the USN finally left me here in Chicago where it can be 50 degrees one day and then a "heat dome" lands on us and its 99 to 109 like last year. Without a doubt this part of the country is crapola for extremes in weather. This being an old farmhouse the basement is a constant 55 and just opening it up to the house does the job keeping it livable after the thick plaster absorbs the cool .
    Welcome to MT... Thats our weather... -20F at 7am and 89F at 11am... We have the worst weather swings... Nothing in moderation either... When it rains it rains we get terrential downpours... When it snows well we get 3 feet... When its hot its 95 degress... Like the say if you dont like the MT weather just wait 5 minutes and it will change But I love my Central Air... I wont lie, but then again when its the middle of winter I like to sleep with a window open.. I have one blacnket on my side of the bed, the wifey has like 4 LOL
    "For once you have tasted flight you will walk the earth with your eyes turned skywards, for there you have been and there you will long to return." Leonardo Da Vinci

Full grown Puffer Fish

All - stay hydrated for sure and take breaks often. I see some of you have some mighty hot temps now and to contend with for a while - Be safe!
    KL License #2157

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish ezlevor's Avatar

I'd much rather take the winter. I'm from Wisconsin though so I'm one of those wierdos that wears a hoodie until it gets to about 20ish degrees F. At that point I'll put on another hoodie.

On the other hand, I always keep my house comfortable. I grew up in a giant old brick house with no a/c and hot water radiator heat so I know how awful it is when a bedroom gets in the 90s. I don't want that.

Newbie in the ocean Liquid Electron's Avatar

I get sick in the heat, no one has figured out why (doc doesn't really bother, he just says 'don't go out in the heat'...thanks man).

I can sit outside up to about 83-84 and then that's it. I'm another one of those people like Erik up here that will wear a hoodie until it's full of snow and then find another hoodie. I much prefer winter (if it were without snow, it'd be bliss).

I hate the heat. You can always put more layers on, but you can only take so many off!

Puffer Fish with some spikes Sixspeedsam's Avatar

Stuck in a heatwave here on the east coast. Hot and soupy ... find myself searching for smaller vitolas so I don't melt out on the deck, even late evening like now. I'll take bundling up and smoking with gloves on anyday.

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast