Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anybody else here into roasting/drinking coffee?

This is a discussion on Anybody else here into roasting/drinking coffee? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; My wife and I have now basically created a coffee bar in part of our kitchen high long table with ...

Puffer Fish with some spikes drac's Avatar

My wife and I have now basically created a coffee bar in part of our kitchen

high long table with three stools.
    3 drip coffee machines total.
    1 12 cup with built in grinder,
    1 10 cup with espresso machine built in,
    1 8 cup with thermal carafe for table service.
    1 stand alone blade grinder,
    1 roaster,
    1 french press pot.

we store our beans in air tight containers on the counter and label each one.

I also have a 100 cup metal perc pot for party use.
    Tattooed Tobacconist
    smokesignals.biz

Coffee roasting is another slippery slope that I have gone down It's all diverbob's fault. It started with a FreshRoast from Sweet Maria's, then I was sold on a Solis Maestro 5000 coffee/espresso machine (worth every penny of the $480 IMHO), and a couple weeks ago I bought a HotTop so I can roast 1/2 pound at a time I like just about anything fresh roasted, but my favorite right now is Costa Rican Tres Rios.

Full grown Puffer Fish DiverBob's Avatar

I read about home roasting just over a year ago in a CS thread. One thing led to another and I wound up with a FreshRoast and a Solis super automatic. Have been enjoying outstanding coffee everday since. I haven't felt the need to upgrade yet like CCSmith. I'm waiting for him to finish the beta test phase of the HotTop.

As for my favorites, I'm partial to Mexican and Central American. I'm working on a 5 lb bag of Guatemala Antigua at the moment. Another of my staples is a Sweet Maria's blend called Moka Kadir (aka Santa's Bitchin' Blend to filly and drill).

This is truly a slippery slope, but in this case, the domestically available stuff is as good as it gets and the cost is peanuts (mmmmmmm, home peanut roasting....nevermind) compared to the other slippery slope.

Brandon, I just got a Vacuum coffee maker (the Bodum/Santos) and if you use the unit as directed the coffee may mix with the grounds for too long but the way I do it is you get the water boiling in the Carafe and then you put the upper globe with the coffee on.. I think this is the right way to use the unit but for safety reasons they want the globe on the unit and as the water heats it slowly goes up. My way the water goes right up and mixes with the coffee. The way I use it the coffee is boiling hot and there is no acid tip to it...
    As far as all the different coffees , it seems to me that all the dark roasts taste somewhat the same, is there really a marked difference in the coffees people have listed on this thread.. Also is there a big difference when you roast you own....??

Jerry in Minnesota.
    Proud Past Rider Of The Short Bus...

Oh yeah, there's a big difference. I would say it's like comparing fresh baked bread to prepackaged bread. The freshness seems to make a big difference. Also, I hardly care for the true french roasts or dark roasts anymore. Lighter roasts provide much more flavor and complexity.

OK, I'm jumping in. I have 3 weeks off work and I think I'll try and roast a few batches. Any recommendations for a newbie. Such as a good roaster..........a good selection of beans........and tips on who to buy from? I'd like to get in for under $300 as far as start up costs. I think all I need is a roaster and green beans. I like the idea of roasting a 1/2 lb. at a time.

The Mrs and I drink about a 2lbs a week. We are both coffee fanatics. I like just a cup of joe, she leans towards the espresso style of drinks.

Which reminds me, have any of you ever made an espresso milkshake? The double edged sword, if the sugar don't get you, the caffeine will! They are great.

The fresh roast is about as basic as you can get. That's what I've got. It should come in under $80 without shipping. No bells and no whistles, just a knob attached to a clockwork timer. No way it'll roast 1/2 lb at a time though. You might be able to roast enough for one day in advance but you might be roasting every day then. I've seen mini barrel roasters and whatnot out there. Those'll roast more but cost more too.

My grinder is a hand-cranked model that's under $70. I don't drink nearly as much coffee as most of you folks. I'm happy with my little set up.

People here seem to mention Coffee Bean Corral and Sweet Maria's a lot. I've done business with both and have been satisfied. Both are pretty comparable in price and both have plenty of coffees and gadgets on sale.

Puffer Fish with some spikes hogg's Avatar

I am interested in your start rns, I have been contemplating getting one of the $80 roasters for some time. Depending on your experience I may get one in the next month and join the club myself. Please post or PM me what you come up with
    "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. " - Oscar Wilde

Originally posted by Brandon
    Oh yeah, there's a big difference. I would say it's like comparing fresh baked bread to prepackaged bread. The freshness seems to make a big difference. Also, I hardly care for the true french roasts or dark roasts anymore. Lighter roasts provide much more flavor and complexity.
    Double ditto. I used to like the dark roasts because I guess that is the only way to get stale roasted coffee to taste "good". It's amazing what subtleties you can pickup when you roast on the lighter side.

RNS, I can't say enough about the FreshRoast. It's simple and cheap and works fairly well. Getting a true City roast is a little more difficult due to it's short roasting time of about 5 minutes, but I've managed to overcome this to the best of my abilities. If you go thru 2 lbs per week, it may not be large enough for you. My best advice is to go to Sweet Maria's and figure out what is best in your price range that will suit your capacity needs. There are other great sites, but Tom at SM is about as anal as they come about coffee and that's a good thing for novice homeroasters.

One other thing. Make sure you grind it and brew it right! I recommend espresso, vaccuum, french press or my favorite, super automatic. A burr grinder is also essential IMHO.

RNS, just checked a couple of sites and it looks like the FreshRoast is in for another design revision. If that's what you decide on, you'll be waiting a few weeks

Everything that I would say has already been mentioned. The great thing about Sweet Maria's is that they put labels on the bags indicating the recommended roast ranges and flavor profiles. I have no problem recommending either places though.

Right now I'm sampling some Sumatran Decaf roasted to full city. I never knew decaf could be so good

Originally posted by DiverBob
    RNS, just checked a couple of sites and it looks like the FreshRoast is in for another design revision. If that's what you decide on, you'll be waiting a few weeks
    I think we should let RNS know that while the Fresh Roast is a great little roaster, and inexpensive, it has not been trouble-free. I'm on my third roast chamber. The first two were replaced under warranty through Sweet Maria's. So far, they are the only retailer I have dealt with, and they are really great.

Man ohh man,
    I just now thought about it....
    THis could be far worse than ever getting into habanos....

Our family lives by coffee.

Now Im fighting the urge to get a roaster but I just may loose this battle yet..

I did it! I'm drinking a cup of "Classic Italian Espresso Blend" as I type. I purchased the new design "Fresh Roast" and an assortment of green beans. The instructions were easy and the coffee tastes delicious. I let it roast 6 minutes, 2 scoops, but I couldn't wait the 24 hours they suggest to let the beans settle, I roasted up a few more batches for tomorrow. WOW!

Went through Sweet Marias, Thanks for all the help guys, I cannot wait to smoke a cigar with this coffee!

Puffer Fish with some spikes hogg's Avatar

Haha! I'm right behind you... After reading all the tips and directions I was sold!
    "America is the only country that went from barbarism to decadence without civilization in between. " - Oscar Wilde

Page 2 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast