Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast

Anybody else here into roasting/drinking coffee?

This is a discussion on Anybody else here into roasting/drinking coffee? within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Originally posted by hogg Haha! I'm right behind you... After reading all the tips and directions I was sold! I ...

Full grown Puffer Fish DiverBob's Avatar

Originally posted by hogg
    Haha! I'm right behind you... After reading all the tips and directions I was sold!
    I feel just awful

Puffer Fish with some spikes

This hobby takes up as much of my time as cigars. I have been roasting for about 18 months now, 6-8 lbs a month. I roast at work mostly, I can't drink 2 lbs a week by myself, well maybe I could...... I cant think of anything better to do with an afternoon that kick back with a good cigar and a fresh roasted cup of coffee.

My favorite coffees are Guatamalans, I believe the have the widest range of any coffees that I have tried, and they tend to be pretty cheap too.

I don't even LIKE coffe and you've got me wanting one... ya'll should be in advertizing!
    [SIZE="2"]Well-behaved women seldom make history.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]I've never been able to define a feminist, but I do know that I get called one any time I express sentiments that differ from those of a doormat![/SIZE]

Anyone ever have chicory? What's it like?

eeewwww.... tasted like boiled shoe leather. My dad likes it.
    [SIZE="2"]Well-behaved women seldom make history.[/SIZE]
    [SIZE="2"]I've never been able to define a feminist, but I do know that I get called one any time I express sentiments that differ from those of a doormat![/SIZE]

Definitely not a puff fan

Chicory is made from tree bark, I think. Tastes extremely bitter, I think the idea is to use a little chicory and lots of something else to hide the flavor. I never really saw the point to the stuff, apparantly its a cajun thing.

If I'm not mistake, chicory was used as a cheap substitute for coffee or cheap filler mixed in with coffee. Presently, it is still used out of tradition or history.... and to make money off of tourists and folks who want to follow tradition.

This is really odd that I came across this topic today. About an hour prior to reading this I was telling my girlfriend how I wanted to buy a coffee roaster. It is my other passion along with cigars and good whisky. I would love a point in the right direction of what is the way to go about this.
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

emdub23: If you look through the previous posts, I think the way is pretty clear. Go to www.sweetmarias.com and start with the FreshRoast for about $80. Then, hang on, 'cuz there's no turning back once you've had truly fresh roasted coffee

Hey, Churchlady, LeafHog and Brandon, thanks for the info on chicory. It doesn't sound particularly pleasant.

Chickory

Hey, I'll admit that it is an aquired taste that is only really appreciated around New Orleans. It is a little bitter, but goes well with sweet pastries. You could probably find some in a local store if you want to try it, just look for Cafe Du Monde(sp) coffee with chickory. Not sure of the spelling, but its in a yellow can with brown lettering, or used to be as I remember.

galaga: Thanks. I'm probably going to give it a shot at some point. Just about everything's worth a try once.

It seems Sweet Maria's carries chicory too. I guess if I really don't like a particular kind of bean I can French roast the crap out of it, then add some chicory!

I do enjoy coffee with my pastry..... Mmmm, paaaaaaa-stryyyyy....

F.O.G. with nice smokes OnePyroTec's Avatar

Brandon, you still roasting??? Good to hear.
    My favorite so far has been the Costa Rican May soon change when my green Torquino beans get here. (not from canada, a warmer place )

OPT

Anyone tried the Zach and Danni's roaster?
    The path of the righteous man is beset on all sides by the inequities of the selfish and the tyranny of evil men. Blessed is he, who in the name of charity and good will, shepherds the weak through the valley of darkness, for he is truly his brother's keeper and the finder of lost children. And I will strike down upon thee with great vengeance and furious anger those who would attempt to poison and destroy my brothers. And you will know my name is the Lord when I lay my vengeance upon thee.

I haven't but Sweet Maria's has a write up on it. That might be worth checking out.

Page 3 of 4 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 LastLast