Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

cigars via USPS

This is a discussion on cigars via USPS within the General Discussion forums, part of the Everything But Cigars category; Anyone ever have any trouble shipping cigars via USPS? I went into the post office yesterday to send out cigars ...

cigars via USPS

Anyone ever have any trouble shipping cigars via USPS?

I went into the post office yesterday to send out cigars for the PIF and the guy said he was pretty sure I couldnt send cigars through the mail. I decided to just buy the box and bring it back all sealed up on Monday. Ive never heard of this. Anyone have similar problems?
    -Adam

Cram it! I do my own thing!
    ??

Puffer Fish with some spikes Enyafan's Avatar

Re: cigars via USPS

i personally hate usps. i had a very important shipment get lost and it took a long time to finally track it down and send to me. all they could do is blame me or the person that sent the package when the post office sent this 600 dollar package to the wrong place, no extra labels to confuse just stupid postal workers.. i know some of you are postal workers so i won't say that most of them are overpaid and refuse to take responsibility for their laziness/incompetence.

IHT

i haven't had a problem with them. of course, i don't tell themn i'm sending cigars... nor do i see why that would be a problem... it's not like they're lit!!
    "To be second guessed, you have to be the first guesser."

Quote Originally Posted by Enyafan
    i know some of you are postal workers so i won't say that most of them are overpaid and refuse to take responsibility for their laziness/incompetence.
    Well, as long as you didnt say it

Yeah, I didnt plan on telling them, but my girlfriend was with me and kept throwing in her $.02 about the box type and size and why not just get a padded envelope...theyre just leaves anyway. So, long story short, this fine civil servant found out they were cigars and decided not to allow the shipment.
    -Adam

Cram it! I do my own thing!
    ??

What would Skeeter do? kansashat's Avatar

I ship cigars all the time by usps. Haven't had a problem. They know exactly what I am shipping too. I walk in with the bag of cigars & the packing material....they smile & grab the appropriate sized box.
    The views & opinions expressed by kansashat are not necessarily the views & opinions of Club Stogie, or it's associates. Iamstillveryfondofbananacreampie.

Ditto I've never had an issue sending out cigars. NEVER....that sucks, but I would do what you are planning on doing and just box them up at home then mail them.

Thats weird, I just mailed a box of Cubans to Sweden with NP. I didn't even have them boxed up when I went in. Just depends on who you get.
    "And Sherpards we shall be. For thee, my Lord, for thee. Power hath descended forth from Thy hand, that our feet may swiftly carry out Thy command. So we shall flow a river forth to Thee and teeming with souls shall it ever be. E Nomini Patri, E Fili, E Spiritus Sancti."

Support Our Troops

B.O.P.II

Puffer Fish with some spikes MitchellF's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by AAlmeter
    Anyone ever have any trouble shipping cigars via USPS?

I went into the post office yesterday to send out cigars for the PIF and the guy said he was pretty sure I couldnt send cigars through the mail. I decided to just buy the box and bring it back all sealed up on Monday. Ive never heard of this. Anyone have similar problems?
    You just got an a$$hole! I would be careful, he sounds like the type that could go off any second if you know what I mean. Postal workers sometimes have a habit of doing that.

Cigars are not included under Hazardous, Perishable or Restricted mail (lighters are though). Print this out:

http://www.usps.com/cpim/ftp/pubs/pub52.pdf

and bring it with you. Seems like you got an idiot, I think you better educate them on the law.

Have generallly had very good luck using the USPS. Usually ship via Priority Mail. For the money, I think it's decent service.

Have learned a few caveats for shipping:

1) Don't tell them you're shipping cigars. While it's perfectly legal to ship cigars across state lines, it may be illegal to ship them to other countries or territories. Any postal employee who sys otherwise doesn't know what they're talking about.

2) IT IS ILLEGAL to ship alcohol products though. I think that's due more to state taxation on alcohol products than anyting else.

3) If asked, I usually tell them that I'm shipping some antiques boxes, including old cigar boxes.

4) Choose your post office wisely. I like using one close to work (Irvine, CA)that services mostly professional & upper-middle class clientele, smaller & high tech businesses, service and luxury businesses (i.e. read very demanding clientele). With those kinds of clients, you'd expect very good service, and indeed that's what you see.

5) I generaly don't like using FedEx. Locations aren't as convenient, secondary locations (i.e. Kinko's) will sometimes add a surcharge, and I find only overnite letters & small packages to be cost effecient. Besides, had a recent horror story with FedEx.

When I went to send out the recent cigar pass box, I mentioned to the customer svc. rep. that it had cigars. WHOA!! Despite my reassurances that they were perfectly legal to ship, she had to go look it up in the regulation book, shich she couldn't find (thus wasting 15min of time). Then came the shocker, FedEx ground with delivery confirmation was actually more expensive (by about $1.60) than regular FedEx 2nd day. What a rip off. After I left i kept thinking that had I gone to my favorite ost Office, it would have been faster & cheaper.
    [SIZE=1]Never lie, steal, cheat, or drink. But if you must lie, lie in the arms of the one you love. If you must steal, steal away from bad company. If you must cheat, cheat death. And if you must drink, drink in the moments that take your breath away.[/SIZE]

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish El Rey del Mundo's Avatar

Hahahhahah...... I wonder how the Swedish post-system works... I heard recently something about a strike but I think thats blowing over...
    I wouldn´t like to be a member in a club that would consider having me as a member!

--Groucho Marx