Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Can aromatic pipe tobacco go bad?

This is a discussion on Can aromatic pipe tobacco go bad? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I had opened a new tin of a certain aromatic the other night. The can seemed old and it smelled ...

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish tzilt's Avatar

Can aromatic pipe tobacco go bad?

I had opened a new tin of a certain aromatic the other night. The can seemed old and it smelled a little off and funky...but it was a funky flavor to begin with so I sorta shrugged it off. I smoked a bowl that night. All was well and good and I went to bed without any complaints.

Next day...I was sick. Like 24 hour flu sick. Stayed home from work and everything.

Coincidence? Or can pipe tobacco go bad? More specifically, can the casing/flavoring go bad and give you food poisoning...errr, smoke poisoning.

I will withhold the name of the blend to protect the innocent (or guilty as the case may be).

FULL DISCLAIMER: I take our daughter to daycare 2 days a week so that is probably a much more likely explanation of where I caught a bug. Still, the question lingers as I glare at the tin on the shelf every time I walk past it.

IHT

Re: Can aromatic pipe tobacco go bad?

i opened up my first big tin of MacBaren Vanilla Cream about a couple years before i actually started smoking from it often. it stayed the same over those couple of years.
    i also had some ceramic jars that held my old cheapy B&M bulk aromatics. i cleaned them out last fall, and they had tobacco that was close to 7 yrs old still inside, smokeable even.

i've never had it happen, so i can't say for sure.
    what blend was it, cuz maybe that's the flavor/aroma it's suppose to have.
    "To be second guessed, you have to be the first guesser."

Peterson's Sunset Breeze.

I know that it is supposed to be a fruity, amaretto flavor...but it seemed to have a funky smell on top of that.

Maybe its just a funky smelling tobacco and I happened to get sick the next day. Whatever the case is, it will be a while before I try any Sunset Breeze.

Root

Question really is, can aromatic pipe tobacco ever go good?

My bet is the childcare. Been passed a many a thing from those places.

Full grown Puffer Fish paperairplane's Avatar

I don't think a casing could 'spoil' in the sense of food poisoning... I would think that to get you sick the tobacco would have to have mold growing on it or otherwise been contaminated by an outside source.
    "I became insane, with long intervals of horrible sanity." E. A. Poe

Moo-ism translator, Esq

Quote Originally Posted by paperairplane View Post
    I don't think a casing could 'spoil' in the sense of food poisoning... I would think that to get you sick the tobacco would have to have mold growing on it or otherwise been contaminated by an outside source.

this is where I was gonna go with this. But beware, I would suspect that mold could be actively growing in your tobac but NOT be obvious without close inspection. Maybe give it a close look tzilt
    Reserved for future use....

Quote Originally Posted by EvanS View Post
    this is where I was gonna go with this. But beware, I would suspect that mold could be actively growing in your tobac but NOT be obvious without close inspection. Maybe give it a close look tzilt
    I will, but it will be a little while before I can tolerate the smell of that stuff again.

As I recall, it looked fine, but then, I wasn't specifically looking for mold.

IHT

Quote Originally Posted by Root View Post
    Question really is, can aromatic pipe tobacco ever go good?

IHT - too damn funny.

My bet is the childcare. Been passed a many a thing from those places.

IHT - i'm not touching that one with a 10 ft pole. you may have lobbed that one up there, but i'm not hitting it outta the park.
    in the quote.
    "To be second guessed, you have to be the first guesser."

Leading Puffer Fish DubintheDam's Avatar

I would say it's coincidence, they say we're exposed to all sorts of bugs all the time, we just don't notice it.

But I think this highlights an important point, what is the best way to keep your pipes sterilized? I don't clean my pipes with alcohol after each smoke, just after 5 or 6, I do always run a pipe cleaner through, and wipe off with a cloth which I renew every couple of weeks or so. But I would really like what ideas people have about pipe hygiene. Do we wash our hands each time we fill a bowl? Are we just spreading more germs when we wipe of with a cloth etc. etc

Quote Originally Posted by DubintheDam View Post
    But I think this highlights an important point, what is the best way to keep your pipes sterilized? I don't clean my pipes with alcohol after each smoke, just after 5 or 6, I do always run a pipe cleaner through, and wipe off with a cloth which I renew every couple of weeks or so. But I would really like what ideas people have about pipe hygiene. Do we wash our hands each time we fill a bowl? Are we just spreading more germs when we wipe of with a cloth etc. etc
    I thought about that when I bought a few estate pipes from ebay. I wasn't too worried about catching a 30 year old cold virus, but wondered if it were possible, even if unlikely, that other nastier bugs might survive inside of a pipe stem. TB, meningitis, whooping cough, disco fever?

I would guess no, it doesn't seem like a very hospitable place after sitting around and drying for even a few weeks, much less years. But I still felt a lot better having soaked the stem in isopropyl.

Full grown Puffer Fish solafid3's Avatar

I randomly received a tin of Peterson Sunset Breeze, and it smelled like playdough. So, I would say that it was the tobacco and not the fact that it was bad...
    I wish to say that I'm not ashamed of anything whatever that I do, and I don't feel that smoking makes me ashamed, and therefore I mean to smoke to the glory of God. - Charles Haddon Spurgeon

JAK
    Full grown Puffer Fish

I wouldn't imagine you would need to sterilize your pipe stem if your the only one using it. You don't sterilize your toothbrush (I am guessing), I can't imagine a pipe stem would pick up that much bacteria just sitting in a rack.

www.stogietorch.com replicant_argent's Avatar

While I am in the "daycare sick" camp, I wonder what the casings of many blends consist of? Oil based? Alcohol bases? Water based? While many extracts used in the culinary world are more oily, such as the citrus based flavorings, I wondered how the oils interact with the oils in a particular tobacco, or blend over time.
    Ever Torches and Z-Torches available at www.stogietorch.com

JAK
    Full grown Puffer Fish

Mainly alcohol and water based, from talking to a blender in portland.

so the propylene glycol is for moisture only? not to carry a flavor?

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast