Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 818 of 1257 FirstFirst ... 318 718 768 808 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 868 918 ... LastLast
Results 12,256 to 12,270 of 18845

Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

This is a discussion on Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; trying me a bowl of Davidoff flake medallion it is good just have trouble with flake it seams but burning ...

Re: Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

trying me a bowl of Davidoff flake medallion it is good just have trouble with flake it seams but burning good tonight

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee-Cup View Post
    Terry! It is interesting that you raised the question of SG 1792. I have had such a difficulty with this tobacco as far as consistency; sometimes it is great and sometimes not. In reference to strong tobaccos, I never have any problems with Tambolaka but not so with 1792. I had made a mental note to consult Jeff (Commonsenseman) on my problems, but for a long time until recently he has not posted; I thought that he was taking a break from us and I did not want to intrude, but I do need to figure out this tobacco.
    I have the same issue with 1792, Moe - consistancy. Sometimes it's absolutely sublime...others, it's "meh."

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee-Cup View Post
    Terry! It is interesting that you raised the question of SG 1792. I have had such a difficulty with this tobacco as far as consistency; sometimes it is great and sometimes not. In reference to strong tobaccos, I never have any problems with Tambolaka but not so with 1792. I had made a mental note to consult Jeff (Commonsenseman) on my problems, but for a long time until recently he has not posted; I thought that he was taking a break from us and I did not want to intrude, but I do need to figure out this tobacco.
    I've been lurking the whole time..... Don't ever feel like you're intruding, feel free to send me a PM anytime, even when I haven't been active in a while.

But this is interesting. Do you have this problem with all SG tobaccos? I know that the thickness of their flakes can vary wildly, even in the same tin. Also sometimes the bulk tastes a little different than the tin does. I just picked up a few ounces of bulk & it smelled quite a bit different than the tin I have open. Are you smoking it in different pipes? I prefer a wide, somewhat shallow bowl myself. Lastly, how dry are you smoking it? I find that I have a terrible time with it if it's a little too moist.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

Quote Originally Posted by Longer ash View Post
    trying me a bowl of Davidoff flake medallion it is good just have trouble with flake it seams but burning good tonight
    Really nice tobacco. I may pop a tin later tonight...
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    I have the same issue with 1792, Moe - consistancy. Sometimes it's absolutely sublime...others, it's "meh."
    Careful there, Clifford. That's my 1792 Flake you're talking about. . .

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    . . . But this is interesting. Do you have this problem with all SG tobaccos? I know that the thickness of their flakes can vary wildly, even in the same tin. Also sometimes the bulk tastes a little different than the tin does. I just picked up a few ounces of bulk & it smelled quite a bit different than the tin I have open. Are you smoking it in different pipes? I prefer a wide, somewhat shallow bowl myself. Lastly, how dry are you smoking it? I find that I have a terrible time with it if it's a little too moist.
    My first taste of 1792 was from a tin, the rest was all bulk. So I can't really compare the two. The only inconsistency I've noticed is that sometimes it's harder to keep lit than other times (no big surprise, right?). Flavor wise, it's very consistent. I think with this flake you cannot over-dry it. Well, that might be an overstatement, but I routinely smoke it quite dry, fully rubbed out.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Enjoying a bowl of GH Bright CR Flake. I haven't pulled this one out in awhile, but I'm glad I did tonight. It's a nice sweet Virginia.

Regarding that McCranies Red Ribbon that I smoked earlier today, anybody know which McClelland Bulk this would be closest to? I'd like to order a bunch and hide it away in a cave for 10 years or so...

I had a real meal. My beautiful bride made beef stew and cornbread. Bundled up and enjoying some after dinner coffee and FVF in the Savinelli. Man, it's good to be home.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

Fm in general sun tzu! Smoked on the walk home in the drizzle. Yum!
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

McClelland 24 (recently purchased from keenween) in the Big Ben tonight.

Pretty tasty stuff and seems to have a nice room note. Rich and sweet mature Virginia with some Drama for a twist. I'm enjoying it.

You guys should post more pics. I love seeing everyone's pipes.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Nice action shot
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Dr. Plume View Post
    Nice action shot
    Thanks. The front camera on my phone kinda sucks, but I thought I'd share anyway. lol
    Hangin' out with Friends

Haha I know that battle well

Quote Originally Posted by commonsenseman View Post
    I find that I have a terrible time with it if it's a little too moist.
    Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    I think with this flake you cannot over-dry it.
    This is probably what my problem was. I get a little impatient sometimes.

Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar

I ran out of tobacco today at work, and forgot to bring my pipe bag with some emergency baggies in it! Nooo!

I had to do some driving around today for he boss, so I blew through my pre-loaded pipes kinda quickly. Fortunately with my iPhone and Yelp I found a B&M along the way that looked promising for some pipe tobacco. Sure 'nuff, Embassy Cigars in Anaheim Hills had plenty of tobaccy, including quite a few tins of Peterson, Dunhill, MacBaren, W.O Larson, Ashton and more. I didn't even look at the bulk blends they had, which appeared to be name brand as well.

I grabbed a tin of University Flake, chatted the guy working for a minute about the store and the clientele, and hit the road again. Catastrophe avoided, whew!

I've got to admit, this University Flake is pretty good stuff. Similar to Irish Flake, but certainly not a carbon copy, a slightly more fruity flavor but it still has a kick. I'll definitely look forward to the next bowl!

I'm quite glad to find a B&M in the general area that has a decent selection of tins, in case I'm ever out and about and jonesing again.
    Last edited by The Mad Professor; 11-12-2012 at 07:56 PM.
    The Mad Professor's Pipes Page.................. .................My modest TobaccoCellar....................................Product Design Portfolio(shameless plug)

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

For you, Josh.

I too have a crappy camera on my phone. But this is the Savinelli Venezia billiard/lovat that JJ/User Name (my favorite puffer booted from puff) bombed me with oh those many months ago. It's a really good smoker, rivaling one of my Country Gents.

With some 1792 Flake just heading home, and thinking about a phone upgrade.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?