Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 819 of 1257 FirstFirst ... 319 719 769 809 810 811 812 813 814 815 816 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 869 919 ... LastLast
Results 12,271 to 12,285 of 18845

Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

This is a discussion on Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by gahdzila I get a little impatient sometimes. I have the same problem. I'm impulsive and have a ...

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Re: Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

Quote Originally Posted by gahdzila View Post
    I get a little impatient sometimes.
    I have the same problem. I'm impulsive and have a tendency to smoke whatever sounds good at that very second.

Very nice looking pipe, Terry. You're killing me with the 1792. I'm gonna have to try it sometime.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    Careful there, Clifford. That's my 1792 Flake you're talking about. . .

My first taste of 1792 was from a tin, the rest was all bulk. So I can't really compare the two. The only inconsistency I've noticed is that sometimes it's harder to keep lit than other times (no big surprise, right?). Flavor wise, it's very consistent. I think with this flake you cannot over-dry it. Well, that might be an overstatement, but I routinely smoke it quite dry, fully rubbed out.
    Jeff! Thanks for being available for advice. Jeff! To begin with after you took your hiatus I would not have contacted you; let's take a look at what was happening. 1) You had recently had a baby, 2) you were involved with the Tambolaka purchases especially the accounting, 3) you were involved with "tobacco exchange for newbies, 4) you were also involved with the "tobacco lottery, 5) you were posting continuously answering questions as well as what you were smoking and on top of all these activities you were working! Dang-it, I am fully retired and your activities makes me want to rest from fatique. One thing is for sure I would not have let you rest as long as I did; I am afraid that now I will be bugging you!
    Last edited by Coffee-Cup; 11-12-2012 at 08:43 PM. Reason: I said something twice

Quote Originally Posted by AStateJB View Post
    I have the same problem. I'm impulsive and have a tendency to smoke whatever sounds good at that very second.

Very nice looking pipe, Terry. You're killing me with the 1792. I'm gonna have to try it sometime.
    Terry twisted my arm CLEAN off. I have some 1792 and EMP and 1 lb of Anni Kake on the way. It's probably not too hard to figure out what my favorite baccy is.

Sorry ProbateGeek! I replied to your post instead of Jeffs (Commonsenseman) and I simply do not have the energy to correct it. I now have 3 female cousins living with me on a temporary basis who I really love, but who are driving me ragged; I am lucky if I know what day it is.

Clampsmoquero Latakius Vituscan's Avatar

Balkan Sobranie in a Pete Mark Twain rusticated.

DJ_Balkan Sobranie_Pete Mark Twain Rusticated by GoerzDagor, on Flickr
    Credo quia absurdum!

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

Great shot, DJ and a beauty of a pipe.

I'm finally finishing my bowl of McC 24 from earlier. I forgot the wife and I had an early Thanksgiving dinner to attend tonight. Oh well... It's still smoking and tasting great.
    Hangin' out with Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Latakius Vituscan View Post
    Balkan Sobranie in a Pete Mark Twain rusticated.

DJ_Balkan Sobranie_Pete Mark Twain Rusticated by GoerzDagor, on Flickr
    Has BS become more readily available? Is the supply still spotty?
    Never trust anyone over 30.

Full grown Puffer Fish Couch_Incident's Avatar

Savinelli Special Tobacco.

I put this tin back into the closet a month or so ago due to tongue bite. It's pretty unremarkable and I will probably put it back in the closet tonight.

Couch

Puffer Fish with some spikes Baron_Null's Avatar

The local pipe club meeting was tonight, so I got to try quite a few blends. Frog Morton On the Town, MacBaren Honey and Chocolate, and Christmas Cheer to name a few. All of this in my new MM Ozark Mini. I love this pipe. It may not be the ideal pipe for sitting in the backyard for hours while contemplating the meaning of life, but for what I want it for it performs perfectly. I wanted it mostly as a tobacco sampling pipe and as a travel pipe, since the bowl is small and the design would make it very hard to break once the stem is removed. Not to mention that it was so cheap that I'm not too afraid of ghosting. Plus, its short nose-warmer design, small size, and light weight all make it perfect for clenching while doing yard work and the like.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Tonight I tried for the first time Aged Burley Flake - don't recall who sent it to me, but thanks. I used the fold and stuff, and it smelled wonderful before lighting. Then, well, it just didn't do anything for me. For a second bowl I went with Royal Yacht. That didn't taste right to me either. So, of course, I pulled out the 1792. And guess what? Didn't taste quite right.

I think this is the problem:

It's a Savinelli Oscar Lucite I won on ebay for about $3.50 back when I first started with the pipe. It was cleaned up beautifully by our own Mr. Smitty (the top left is the before photo). But it's always smoked extremely wet, and tonight I realized no matter what I smoke in it, the flavors are just off. I don't think it's ghosted with anything, just - - - off. I realize now that I rarely ever smoke it, and have never had a good bowl out of it that I recall.

Anyone had this experience before? The only other thing could be switching blends one after the other in the same pipe. Dunno - I don't really think that's it - I do that with my cobs all the time. It's a mystery.
    Last edited by ProbateGeek; 11-13-2012 at 01:49 AM.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Well, there's a big difference between switching tobacco types in a cob and doing it in a briar. I have one briar that I've smoked pretty much anything in over the last three years, and now whatever I smoke in it tastes the same.
    ********.com

Deviant Gentleman The Mad Professor's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    It's a Savinelli Oscar Lucite I won on ebay for about $3.50 back when I first started with the pipe. It was cleaned up beautifully by our own Mr. Smitty (the top left is the before photo). But it's always smoked extremely wet, and tonight I realized no matter what I smoke in it, the flavors are just off. I don't think it's ghosted with anything, just - - - off. I realize now that I rarely ever smoke it, and have never had a good bowl out of it that I recall.

Anyone had this experience before? The only other thing could be switching blends one after the other in the same pipe. Dunno - I don't really think that's it - I do that with my cobs all the time. It's a mystery.
    I also have a Savinelli Oscar with a lucite stem (straight billiard, #114 see below) that also smokes very wet - at least two pipe cleaners are needed during every bowl or I get juices in my mouth.

It can be hit or miss as far as taste goes - it smokes KK pretty well, but not much else actually -- not even PA. And it smokes VA's just awfully -- tastes like ash. I love the look and finish, and I paid 10x what you did Terry, but I find myself ignoring it more and more since it is so problematic.

I thought it was just my pipe, but your post sounds awfully familiar there -- uncanny even. I figure the bad taste is a factor of the wet smoking. I haven't smoked enough out of this pipe for the flavors to be commingling, and as I said, I have mostly had KK out of it since it is one of the driest smoking blends I have. Pssh, I thought Sav's were supposed to be good pipes!

Name:  1244699.jpg
Views: 57
Size:  85.8 KB
    Last edited by The Mad Professor; 11-13-2012 at 02:34 AM.
    The Mad Professor's Pipes Page.................. .................My modest TobaccoCellar....................................Product Design Portfolio(shameless plug)

Tonight I am going to try again c&d repose I have not had much luck with prior bowls.
    It is a odd mix if you ask me a lot of little balls of baccy it rattles in the can.
    I hope that like the flake last night past problems are of a user error type and the burn goes good.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

IMcC's Mix 8 in a Barlington prince. Gotta love orientals.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by The Mad Professor View Post
    I also have a Savinelli Oscar with a lucite stem (straight billiard, #114 see below) that also smokes very wet - at least two pipe cleaners are needed during every bowl or I get juices in my mouth.

It can be hit or miss as far as taste goes - it smokes KK pretty well, but not much else actually -- not even PA. And it smokes VA's just awfully -- tastes like ash. I love the look and finish, and I paid 10x what you did Terry, but I find myself ignoring it more and more since it is so problematic.

I thought it was just my pipe, but your post sounds awfully familiar there -- uncanny even. I figure the bad taste is a factor of the wet smoking. I haven't smoked enough out of this pipe for the flavors to be commingling, and as I said, I have mostly had KK out of it since it is one of the driest smoking blends I have. Pssh, I thought Sav's were supposed to be good pipes!
    Well, that's bad for us, I suppose. But also good to know that it's not just me (or you), but perhaps a problem with this line. Uncanny is right - mine gurgles at about 5 minutes in, and it gets worse as the bowl progresses. A pipe cleaner has trouble running clear through to the bowl, too. I used two cleaners as well tonight trying to keep it dry enough to smoke. Pssh and Pshhaw!

They sure are beautiful pipes, though, I must admit. I really like the stem on this thing, and the color of the briar is great. Perhaps these pipes work best filling a hole in your pipe rack and leave it at that. I will try KK in mine next time I smoke it (might be a while now - I'll neglect it out of spite) and see how that goes.

Thanks for sharing, Joe - now I don't feel like such a dumb sh*t.
    Last edited by ProbateGeek; 11-13-2012 at 03:16 AM.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?