Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 827 of 1257 FirstFirst ... 327 727 777 817 818 819 820 821 822 823 824 825 826 827 828 829 830 831 832 833 834 835 836 837 877 927 ... LastLast
Results 12,391 to 12,405 of 18845

Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

This is a discussion on Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Baron_Null ... I honestly think that the MM Missouri Pride might be my upper limit on pipe ...

Midlife crises Puffer mcgreggor57's Avatar

Re: Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    ... I honestly think that the MM Missouri Pride might be my upper limit on pipe size.

Is there something wrong with me?
    Nope, the Pride is in my regular rotation as well. The Legend, I believe, is also one of the smaller MMs. I would much rather finish a small bowl than go back to a half finished larger bowl.
    Tobacco Cellar: http://www.tobaccocellar.com/mcgreggor57
    Never trust a woman's tears or a dog's limp.

Puff's Resident Evil Dr. Dr. Plume's Avatar

The generals are my favorite from the mm line but if I do not have time to smoke them or want to smoke several bowls of several different flavors I use the washington that Mycroft bombed me which I believe is about the same size of the legend. Nothing wrong with small bowls. Which I was first starting I had a basket briar that was super small maybe a 10 min smoke. But I have never had anything except perhaps a cob that has smoked as good as that pipe did.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

This evening I decided that I really wanted some great flavor from my pipe so I decided to use "Neill Archer Roan's Chamber Geometry" technique. I dug out my Savinelli 320 EX, packed larger pieces on the bottom half and smaller pieces of SG Grousemoor Plug for the top half of this big, fat, wide pipe. After shaving my large and smaller pieces of this tobacco I dried it out for 11/2 hours. I have been unsuccessful in the past in getting a hot pin point flame into the center of this pipe to get a small combustion zone so I instead concentrate a small hot flame to the inner right edge. I think that it would be possible to get that thin hot flame in the center if I were to use a "Torch" lighter, but I don't have one and I would probably end up burning myself in the attempt so I have compromised. My goal this evening was to provide a very small combustion zone, expanded distillation zone with smoldering unburnt tobacco and a normal condensation zone and it yielded such delicious complex flavor patterns. I do not use this proceedure often but when I do-my enjoyment flips into a state of ecstasy. I topped off my 21/2 hour smoke with an ice cold mug of "Guinness Draught" brew and I experienced a great pipe event.

Disillusioned Freethinker AStateJB's Avatar

I tried to finish last night with a bowl of Sutliff Sunrise Smoke. I say "tried" because the stuff was TERRIBLE! I gutted through it for a little while hoping it might improve or grow on me. By the time it went out at half a bowl left I had decided that neither of those things was going to happen, and didn't bother with relighting.

If anyone would like to try it just let me know. I have almost an entire 1.5oz. tin I can split into samples or send to one brave glutton for punishment. Don't say I didn't warn you though!
    Hangin' out with Friends

Quote Originally Posted by Coffee-Cup View Post
    This evening I decided that I really wanted some great flavor from my pipe so I decided to use "Neill Archer Roan's Chamber Geometry" technique. I dug out my Savinelli 320 EX, packed larger pieces on the bottom half and smaller pieces of SG Grousemoor Plug for the top half of this big, fat, wide pipe. After shaving my large and smaller pieces of this tobacco I dried it out for 11/2 hours. I have been unsuccessful in the past in getting a hot pin point flame into the center of this pipe to get a small combustion zone so I instead concentrate a small hot flame to the inner right edge. I think that it would be possible to get that thin hot flame in the center if I were to use a "Torch" lighter, but I don't have one and I would probably end up burning myself in the attempt so I have compromised. My goal this evening was to provide a very small combustion zone, expanded distillation zone with smoldering unburnt tobacco and a normal condensation zone and it yielded such delicious complex flavor patterns. I do not use this proceedure often but when I do-my enjoyment flips into a state of ecstasy. I topped off my 21/2 hour smoke with an ice cold mug of "Guinness Draught" brew and I experienced a great pipe event.
    I love grousemoor! That's sounds like an awesome smoke. And I really like the Guinness part.
    "The pipe gives a wise man time to think, and a fool something to stick in his mouth." My puny cellar http://www.tobaccocellar.com/Dr.%20Plume

Quote Originally Posted by Baron_Null View Post
    It seems to me that I overwhelmingly favor smaller pipes.
    I smoke a lot of smaller pipes. I find them really practical for smoking at work (out in the cold and dank shed...); I can be away from my desk for only 20 minutes or so and enjoy all or most of a bowl. Fills out lunch nicely. Also the small size makes clenching easier if I'm working on a vehicle and need my hands. Less weight and that less cantilevered away from my gob. The Alco brand (my very first pipe) was a twist on the Falcon - slightly shorter and lighter. Aimed at younger smokers (which I was at the time).

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls in a half-bent Barling and then my beloved Alco. Both small pipes. Later tonight will be more of the same in a (small) Ropp Paneled Billiard. Maybe a bit of Black Bogie in a tiny Ropp Yeco Junior I got recently. The comments on small pipes may force the issue and make tonight the night for its first use.

Attachment 73223

Yeco Junior. And I've got quite small hands.
    Last edited by steinr1; 11-20-2012 at 01:45 PM.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    I smoke a lot of smaller pipes. I find them really practical for smoking at work (out in the cold and dank shed...); I can be away from my desk for only 20 minutes or so and enjoy all or most of a bowl. Fills out lunch nicely. Also the small size makes clenching easier if I'm working on a vehicle and need my hands. Less weight and that less cantilevered away from my gob. The Alco brand (my very first pipe) was a twist on the Falcon - slightly shorter and lighter. Aimed at younger smokers (which I was at the time).

Dunhill Deluxe Navy Rolls in a half-bent Barling and then my beloved Alco. Both small pipes. Later tonight will be more of the same in a (small) Ropp Paneled Billiard. Maybe a bit of Black Bogie in a tiny Ropp Yeco Junior I got recently. The comments on small pipes may force the issue and make tonight the night for its first use.

Attachment 73223

Yeco Junior. And I've got quite small hands.
    Wow, that is a peewee, Robert.

Tonight I'm enjoying some University Flake in the DG Regal #65 and some nice warm Tazo "Chai" tea. This tin of UF is old, I didn't write the date on it, but man is it good. I had forgotten just how good this stuff really is. It's worth the effort to reach a little farther back into the cabinet, every once in awhile.

Just unwindinding with a bowl of PS luxury navy flake and browsing some goodies to feed my PAD
    Now with 96.5% more Wub Wub! http://www.tobaccocellar.com/NikonNUT

Went for Uf tonight but felt a bit wet so I started with anni kake and finished with fm.

Peterson Irish Oak in the MM CG.

To answer your question: no, I'm not getting tired of IO yet

Puffer Fish with some spikes Fraze's Avatar

Anny Kake and some St. James.

Just finished watching a rather odd movie, Big Night, with Tony Shalhoub. Claudio Villa sings the opening song -- absolutely amazing singing. Those Italians got a few nice tunes, eh?

CLAUDIO VILLA - Stornelli amorosi - YouTube

Finishing "The Royal Yacht" (nice load!) and off to bed.
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

More McClelland's No. 27; this tin won't last the week...
    ********.com

The maiden voyage and the commander and chief of the fleet. Presenting general Weißenhower!

Didn't have enough of my favorite Fvf to do a massive bowl so I went with anni kake.

The pack I wish I could show you how much tobacco goes in this bowl.

Interrupted by grump baby.... To be continued.....

Didn't manage it last night, but I WILL take the little Yeco out for its inaugural Black Bogie powered spin today.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp