Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 915 of 1257 FirstFirst ... 415 815 865 905 906 907 908 909 910 911 912 913 914 915 916 917 918 919 920 921 922 923 924 925 965 1015 ... LastLast
Results 13,711 to 13,725 of 18845

Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

This is a discussion on Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Popped a tin of McConnell Scottish Flake the other day. What a lovely tobacco. Tastes mostly of straightforward red Virginia' ...

Re: Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

Popped a tin of McConnell Scottish Flake the other day. What a lovely tobacco. Tastes mostly of straightforward red Virginia' but with a kick of spiciness. The description says there are several tobaccos in there, including Kentucky, which I assume is where the spiciness comes from. I quite like this and will be buying more for the cellar. I've had (and enjoyed) McConnell's Scottish Cake as well, but I think I like this better.

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Thx for the mini review, D. Have not tried McConnell Scottish yet. Sounds good.

Left a FVF flake out all day and enjoying it now in a Savinelli Vaniglia.

Clampsmoquero Latakius Vituscan's Avatar

C&D Star of the East in a Pete Sherlock Holmes.

Peterson's Sherlock Holmes_Table by GoerzDagor, on Flickr
    Credo quia absurdum!

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Is there much Lakeland essence obvious in this one?
    It's not 'in your face' at all; more of a faint presence like in Bright CR Flake. I've got to say, after a few more bowls, this is probably my favorite Gawith, Hoggarth so far. I like Bright CR Flake in spite of the essence; I like Best Brown #2 because of the essence. It tastes like an integral part of the overall flavor rather than a distraction. Maybe I've just finally gotten used to it.

Oh; I forgot what thread this was: smoking a bowl of Best Brown #2...
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    It's not 'in your face' at all; more of a faint presence like in Bright CR Flake. I've got to say, after a few more bowls, this is probably my favorite Gawith, Hoggarth so far. I like Bright CR Flake in spite of the essence; I like Best Brown #2 because of the essence. It tastes like an integral part of the overall flavor rather than a distraction. Maybe I've just finally gotten used to it.

Oh; I forgot what thread this was: smoking a bowl of Best Brown #2...
    That chimes in with my experience. Best Brown has just the right balance. Louisiana Flake has about the same level of essence - maybe a slighgt touch more - plus the tonquin (and Perique). Enough to make its presence felt but not overwhelming.

I'll report on yesterday as the morning is underway here - Ashton Artisan's Blend throughout the day; Germain's Rich Dark Flake in the evening with a finale of Louisiana Flake.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Louisiana Flake has about the same level of essence - maybe a slighgt touch more - plus the tonquin (and Perique).
    You're making me wish I liked perique!
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    You're making me wish I liked perique!
    Give this tobacco a chance. I'd send a sample but the Atlantic Ocean does get in the way...

Coincidentally, I thought about a related subject yesterday evening when I was smoking a bowl of Ashton Artisan's Blend. That one has got a broad range of named tobacco varieties in the mix. I tried to discern them all while smoking and it struck me:

Why?

The blend is tasty and pleasing to my palate. Why am I trying to dissect it? I'm not a blender of tobaccos and I've got little interest in becoming one; even an amateur one. As a consumer I should really be interested in the complete blend rather than the components. Granted, it is interesting to try on occasion and it can help in tobacco selection (particularly, I feel, with Latakia and other Orientals which can be an acquired taste or indeed a "Marmite relationship"), but no further. Whether a blend contains a particular type of tobacco or not should be irrelevant to the smoker. Whether you enjoy it or not is paramount.

I avoided Oriental tobaccos and Latakia in particular for years. A experience when I was young put me off. I was wrong. I don't dislike Latakia. I simply disliked that particular tobacco at the time I smoked it.

So, Louisiana Flake. That one contains the constituents of... Louisiana Flake. (WARNING - May contain Perique or be made with machinery previously used for Perique. )

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by

[URL="http://www.flickr.com/photos/33301186@N02/8263555064/"
    Great shot, DJ. Very relaxing/ cool pic. The color of the walls make me a bit curious about the rest of the room though.

No longer a community member.

Gatlinburlier Mountain Maple in a Storient Meerschaum

C&D Manhattan Afternoon for me tonight.

From the tin: Naturally sweet Golden Virginia leaf with a drop of honey sliced into flakes.

The tin note was a bit strong. A "drop" of honey my ass. It smells like toast that's been slathered with the stuff. The tobacco is very moist - much more so than most C&D blends - and was still pretty moist after an hour sitting out. I was afraid I wouldn't like it, however it's really not bad at all. The first light is like burning a dried out honeycomb, but it mellows pretty quickly. Now it's just an occasional honey note that comes through. It's sorta growing on me. I'd recommend this to Virgina lovers that like a mild aromatic from time to time.

Interesting. Manhattan Afternoon was one of the first tobaccos I tried. I could only taste the honey the first draw of each bowl, but maybe inexperience was the problem.

Another bowl of GHBB#2 (which is nothing like a GHV2002...). I'm trying to save some for Torque in the NPS trade, but I'm not sure I can make it...
    ********.com

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Dunhill nightcap and a spiced rum with ginger ale.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish Andrewdk's Avatar

Same beverage different tobacco. Changing it up to some LNF in an MM cob diplomat, which makes a pretty decent flake pipe IMHO.
    The land of milk and honey, a safe haven and the last bastion of freedom - http://www.tobaccocellar.com/andrewdk

Clampsmoquero Latakius Vituscan's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirston View Post
    Great shot, DJ. Very relaxing/ cool pic. The color of the walls make me a bit curious about the rest of the room though.
    Thanks Mark!

The room:

Interior_P1050353 by GoerzDagor, on Flickr

The evolution of Raven's Grove Smoker's Den:

Ravens Grove Pipe Smokers Den
    Credo quia absurdum!

Just part filled a newly restored Ropp Altesse Straight Billiard with Germain's Rich Dark Flake, but I just got a hankering for some Aromatic first...

Peterson Special 2012 Reserve (Highly Recommended) in a Barling Scalloped Meershaum Straight Billiard.

Several bowls of this normally result after the first; it is a really great complex Aromatic with good base tobaccos. Too light for Gormenghast, though. I'll also fill my ancient Barling Bent Billiard with Louisiana Flake and retire to the shed with the lot.