Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 947 of 1257 FirstFirst ... 447 847 897 937 938 939 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 997 1047 ... LastLast
Results 14,191 to 14,205 of 18845

Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

This is a discussion on Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Last night I went to a friend's 50th birthday party (her b-day is today, but she had the party last ...

Re: Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

Last night I went to a friend's 50th birthday party (her b-day is today, but she had the party last night). I brought along my Sav Bing's Favorite and the rest of the sample of Trout Stream Dan sent me for the blind taste test. I ended up finishing the rest of the (very generous sized) sample having several bowls of it last night. The room note (well, smoked outside so it wasn't really a room note) got a lot of positive comments.

Quote Originally Posted by ProbateGeek View Post
    You are correct, sir - 50 years today. Ages ago I told myself I could start up with the pipes today. Good thing for me (and for you!) I jumped the gun by a few years.

Can I start getting senior discounts now?
    The echo begins..."If I'd known I'd have lasted this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Happy Birthday, Terry!
    Vegetarian -- that's an old Indian word meaning "lousy hunter". -- Andy Rooney

Robert Lewis 123 Mixture in my "English" straight meerschaum Pot.

I decided to forgo opening a tin of Tree Mixture when I finished the Germain's Royal Jersey Perique that I'd been working on for the last four or five days and popped the 123 Mixture instead. I can't remember when I last smoked this (if at all) and 20 years ago I might well have dismissed it as "one of those horrible traditional English tobaccos". And that's what it is, a traditional English mixture (with a slight twist), but horrible it certainly is not.

A medium ribbon cut of approximately equal quantities of very dark-brown - nearly black, red-brown, and lighter tobaccos with a smattering of black and greenish leaf thrown in. The tin note speaks sweetly of Virginia and Cavendish with slight sour overtones of Orientals and a hint, just a hint, of the smokiness of Latakia. It packs easily directly from the tin with just the right level of moisture and lights easily. The Virginia and, in particular the Cavendish are first to hit your taste buds. Sweet but not cloying. The Cavendish stays with you throughout. Sour fruity notes from the Orientals soon become evident with the Latakia staying in the background providing a satisfying balance. Good enough as is, but there is more. A cigar-like richness and creaminess develops as the bowl progresses and indeed, investigation shows that there is "Havana leaf" in the blend. Obviously nothing like a cigar as such, but it does have some of the character. Keeps going well with little effort; it's a bowl you can puff slowly and casually yet still stoke up with little notice should the desire take you. Nicotine is light to at best, moderate. This is an all day smoker. I don't think that you would easily tire of it.

A Latakia light, Cavendish driven, English mixture with some cigar-like qualities.

A keeper. I'll have anoher bowl.
    "Never keep up with the Joneses. Drag them down to your level." - Quentin Crisp

You are correct, sir - 50 years today...
    Congatulations.

Now, repeat after me, "No good will come of it." Use that phrase as often as possible with as little justification as you please. You no longer need any.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by freestoke View Post
    The echo begins..."If I'd known I'd have lasted this long, I'd have taken better care of myself." Happy Birthday, Terry!
    Thanks, Jim. I've lost 32 pounds this year so far, pretty much spurred by the above sentiment.

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    Congatulations.

Now, repeat after me, "No good will come of it." Use that phrase as often as possible with as little justification as you please. You no longer need any.
    Oooh. I do like that, and intend to make my 9-year old daughter quite sick of it by this time next month.
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Oooh. I do like that, and intend to make my 9-year old daughter quite sick of it by this time next month.
    But of course - no good will come of it.

1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

I am enjoying a bowl of 1792 in a meer in honor of Terry's birthday. I sure have grown of fond of this tobacco!

smoking away on some 2 year old LNF, yummy sweet hayish notes, with the perique showing itself with the plum like notes. The rum topping burn off bout a third of the way through the bowl. glad I have 6 pounds stashed away.
    smoked my no named bent Dublin

Robert Lewis 123 Mixture, SG Black XX this morning/afternoon/early evening.

Tonight proper started with Peterson Special Reserve 2012 (it's highly recommended, you know) in a "project" pipe. For "fun" I decided to see what I could do with a 1950s Ropp Bent Billiard (just a cooking model if I remember correctly) that was beaten about beyond any real redemption. Rim beated badly - round, not flat at all, shank similarly bashed, stem badly oxidised and heavily chewed. I took about 2.5mm off the rim, shortened the shank to balance that change, slimmed down all over to remove the dents in the briar and stem and then repolished. It's now a half-decent (but no more) no-name pipe. Just about worthy of a tobacconist's basket. One visible fill, still a few small flaws and pits in the briar ('50s... Still difficult to get decent pipe-wood in France) and a little nick on the inside diameter of the (quite small) bowl. I would have had to take of another 1.5mm to get rid of that. Smoked well for a first half bowl of a wet smoking tobacco. Gurgled, but slow and cool. Nice aromatic; great base tobaccos, topping similar to Luxury Mixture at steroid levels, but troublesome.

Name:  DSCF6265.jpg
Views: 78
Size:  38.3 KB

(Bad camera angle - not as squat as it looks, the shape is still "Billiard".)
    Last edited by steinr1; 07-02-2013 at 01:41 PM.

Smoking some of Troy's 3 year old FVF in my bent Ehrlich. All the flavors I love in new FVF, but excellently mellowed. The complexity continues to grow and I may not get done the work I had planned on doing during this bowl!

Don't worry, Troy, it is a dedicated VA flake pipe!!

Quote Originally Posted by jco3rd View Post
    Smoking some of Troy's 3 year old FVF in my bent Ehrlich. All the flavors I love in new FVF, but excellently mellowed. The complexity continues to grow and I may not get done the work I had planned on doing during this bowl!

Don't worry, Troy, it is a dedicated VA flake pipe!!
    glad to hear your getting blissed out with the aged tobacco I sent you John. yeah I was gonna panic if you some the FVF in your aromatic pipe LOL

Puffer Fish with many spikes JKlavins's Avatar

Having some Sutliff Taste of Summer in my Recently restored old Kaywoodie Carburetor

Enjoying my first bowl of LNF in my 4 Dot "Family Era". Very, very nice flavor -- and so far no bite. This is one pipe that already passed the PA test, so I knew I was free to move on to something more adventurous! A fine night it is!

I have been wanting to try that since last year, when I started smoking. How is it??

Are you referring to Sutliff Taste of Summer or LNF?

Quote Originally Posted by jco3rd View Post
    I have been wanting to try that since last year, when I started smoking. How is it??