Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 950 of 1257 FirstFirst ... 450 850 900 940 941 942 943 944 945 946 947 948 949 950 951 952 953 954 955 956 957 958 959 960 1000 1050 ... LastLast
Results 14,236 to 14,250 of 18845

Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

This is a discussion on Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; No one was more surprised than I! I did save the recipe. ;-)...

Re: Tonights Smoke II - FOR PIPES

No one was more surprised than I! I did save the recipe. ;-)

Obviously, Michael, I'm not the one to ask about breaking in new pipes! Below are a virgin estate (Made in England - '50's?) Royal Sovreign by Orlik 184 and a new Stanwell Featherweight 243.

I broke in the Orlik with ribbon cut Va, VaPer, or VaBur. It has a nice, even layer of cake up to the rim. It has been smoked well over 50x.

With both, I followed "the rules" regarding break-in and smoked both the same way. I'm convinced that the Stanwell is either defective in some way, or made of inferior briar. It has a special coating inside to facilitate break-in and has been smoked no more than a dozen times, maybe only even 6x! The only difference is that I only smoked Va flake in it, as it was marketed as a "clincher, flake pipe." It performs on both points only moderately. The whole pipe gets extremely hot and I can only touch the pipe on the stem. I quit smoking it when it charred, which happened very quickly.

Top: Stanwell Featherweight 243
    Bottom: Royal Sovreign by Orlik 184

Quote Originally Posted by steinr1 View Post
    You just missed Pipe-breaking-in Day!

On Midsummer's Day, sacrifice an unblemished white ram to the Pipe Deities at your local Pagan Altar. (This is best done in the company of a young Virgin Priestess, but that's just for your own fun.) As the blood and life drain from the beast, collect a few drops of the life essence and smear on any pipes to be brought into use. At your usual significant Barrow or other Ancient Druidic Monument, process the anointed implements thrice widershins, thrice rub-a-dub. Sacred vows may be chanted according to local custom. Please consult a registered Shaman or Druid. Details can be found in Yellow Pages.

Then smoke the hell out of the pipes.
    Ah, so that's what went wrong! Why didn't I find that important specification in "the rules?"

Quote Originally Posted by jco3rd View Post
    I am! My IPA just won first place at the CA state fair. Unfortunately it is all gone. Most of what I have right now is 22 oz bottles which is harder to ship I imagine. I also have a strong cider (12% abv) if that sounds interesting. I'll see what I can rustle up. I've never shipped it before, lol!
    Congratulations! That's a "very good thing."

Oh, yes, I am smoking. FMOTT in the RS by Orlik. Earlier this evening it was a LTF and AK.

never tried a IPA brew before. But I'm not that much of a drinker John. Don't worry bout shipping any to me. thou if your gonna be making any of your IPA soon let me know I'm in

Mari, one of my first pipes (one I really liked, as well) did that; I'm convinced there was something odd going on there-maybe an empty void in the wood or something?
    ********.com

Leading Puffer Fish bluesman.54's Avatar

Mari -- Is it possible for you to take the pipe back and tell them you think it is defective? I have serveral Stanwells -- some 40+ years old and others that are new and I have never had one do that. And since I smoke mainly Va/Pers -- I seriously doubt it is the tobacco. I would try and return/exchange it as defective if possible. I am sorry you had this experience. I find Stanwells to be a good -- low priced pipe.

Quote Originally Posted by TTecheTTe View Post
    Obviously, Michael, I'm not the one to ask about breaking in new pipes! Below are a virgin estate (Made in England - '50's?) Royal Sovreign by Orlik 184 and a new Stanwell Featherweight 243.

I broke in the Orlik with ribbon cut Va, VaPer, or VaBur. It has a nice, even layer of cake up to the rim. It has been smoked well over 50x.

With both, I followed "the rules" regarding break-in and smoked both the same way. I'm convinced that the Stanwell is either defective in some way, or made of inferior briar. It has a special coating inside to facilitate break-in and has been smoked no more than a dozen times, maybe only even 6x! The only difference is that I only smoked Va flake in it, as it was marketed as a "clincher, flake pipe." It performs on both points only moderately. The whole pipe gets extremely hot and I can only touch the pipe on the stem. I quit smoking it when it charred, which happened very quickly.

Top: Stanwell Featherweight 243
    Bottom: Royal Sovreign by Orlik 184

Ah, so that's what went wrong! Why didn't I find that important specification in "the rules?"

Congratulations! That's a "very good thing."

Oh, yes, I am smoking. FMOTT in the RS by Orlik. Earlier this evening it was a LTF and AK.

Change of plans. Ennerdale Flake in a Hardcastle Select. It is cooling off nicely here in always beautiful downtown Luzerne, Iowa. A perfect night to sit on the porch and enjoy a good pipe. Life is Good!

Curious experiment time: I'm about to have a bowl of Caravan with a glass of root beer. Wooo! Life on the edge!!
    ********.com

Quote Originally Posted by MarkC View Post
    Curious experiment time: I'm about to have a bowl of Caravan with a glass of root beer. Wooo! Life on the edge!!
    Whoa, be careful big fella. Don't get too crazy on us...

McClelland Christmas Cheer 2011 with some Strawberry Kombucha (fermented Tea). Now we're getting crazy!!

Beautiful night here. 70's and low humidity, Enjoying a bowl of Ennerdale Flake in an Alligator deep bent Savinelli.

decided to take a break from the blind taste test IV. am enjoying a bowl of a half half mixture of bulleye/LNF in my no named bent Dublin. lovely fruitty notes, along with the hay notes, and that bit of perique makes for a great smoke. was a balmy 35C here in SoCal too hot for me.
    troy

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

A bit of Royal Yacht (outdoors of course) in a Savinelli Piuma Featherweight.

A Squid founder, retired ProbateGeek's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Thirston View Post
    A bit of Royal Yacht (outdoors of course) in a Savinelli Piuma Featherweight.
    Oh - I just realized (I'm a bit slow). I'm sure Mr. Howell would approve of the Royal Yacht!
    1792 Flake was first produced in 1830, exactly 139 years before man walked on the moon. Coincidence?

Full grown Puffer Fish Thirston's Avatar

Laurel Heights. This is odd; I liked this when I started out, but then later found it kind of disgusting. I decided to smoke some to try and figure out what bothered me in this blend, but now it tastes fine. I think my brain is broken...
    ********.com

that caz you smoked some of that wacky tobaccy laced with acid mark in your younger years