Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast

Pipe FAQ/101/Getting Started

This is a discussion on Pipe FAQ/101/Getting Started within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by Scott M The Pipe Retort. IHT graciously sent me one of these, and I've finally got a ...

IHT

Re: Pipe FAQ/101/Getting Started

Quote Originally Posted by Scott M
    The Pipe Retort.

IHT graciously sent me one of these, and I've finally got a chance to use it. A description has been discussed in previous posts, but I thought I'd give a visual.

First, the retort with some IA in it. Nice and clean...

The system hooked up to a Custombilt, (the refurb of the day);

and in use;

Continued:
    i FINALLY got around to using mine yesterday afternoon.

ONE WORD OF CAUTION:
    DO NOT get the alcohol TOO HOT. it will royally phuck up the mouthpiece and possible MELT the inside of it.
    so, do not get it too hot, like i did on my karl erik and another pipe. just the part that is where people "sometimes lick" - where the hole is on the end. got kinda "gooey", and i'll have to gently sand the tip to make it smooth again.

Newbie in the ocean

I just started smoking an I have 2 briars. One is strait and the other bent. The strait briar gurgles where the bent does not. Is this normal? Both get very hot. How long should I let a hot briar sit?

SophisticationPersonified Nooner's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pluto124 View Post
    I just started smoking an I have 2 briars. One is strait and the other bent. The strait briar gurgles where the bent does not. Is this normal? Both get very hot. How long should I let a hot briar sit?
    Generally speaking, if the pipe gets too hot to hold you shoudl set it down until it is comfortable to hold again.

You may want to slow down the pace of your puffing if your pipes are getting hot and gurgling. Briar is a natural material and can get burnt and suffer from hot burning.

Another method that has always worked for me when my pipe is burning a bit hot is to hold my tamper in the middle of the ember and take a long slow draw - this evens out the burn to the sides a little bit and will give you a better volume of smoke in smaller puffs. Also don't be afraid of relights!!! Much better to relight your pipe a dozen or two dozen times than to have a wet smoke or burnt pipe.
    Found It!

IHT

Exclamation Re: Pipe FAQ/101/Getting Started

not really a link for "getting started", more for those that are already going and want to read sh*tloads more about just about anything.

i did not find this article, but am copy/pasting it from another pipe board i frequent.
    it's in english, although the site is german.

so, if you want to read, read, read, and read some more, click this link below.
    http://www.pfeifenbox.de/articles/index4.htm
    "To be second guessed, you have to be the first guesser."

Here's a link to a page that is for the pipe newb. This tells you all the parts of the pipe and the names of the different shapes. Most of which I didn't know until fiding this page.

http://www.tobaccopiperestore.com/p2.htm
    Moved to Cigar A S Y L U M.

Just thought i would add a link to these two refurb/cleaning posts for new members reading here in case they have wroked there way too far into the past to notice, i hope they are helpful.

Briars
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=60480

Meers
    http://www.clubstogie.com/vb/showthread.php?t=63129

[SIZE="1"]IHT - i've been debating on whether or not to merge those two topics with this one, figured i'd let them remain as they are.[/SIZE]

Tobacco

I found this information about tobacco interesting.
    [SIZE="1"]I cook, bake and brew... therefore I am.[/size]

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish F. Prefect's Avatar

Re: Tobacco

Quote Originally Posted by Demented View Post
    I found this information about tobacco interesting.
    Some very useful information as well as some interesting links. And for those who have not as of yet discovered Wikipedia, it can be an incredible source of information on just about anything, with convenient links to other related information that is mentioned in the original article. Plus, since it does not contain a great deal of graphics, it loads very quickly.

It's my understanding that the "articles" are written and submitted for review by anyone who is knowledable and willing to share their expertise, and if they are deemed to be accurate, they are added to Wikipedia which is growing by leaps and bounds on a daily basis.

However, it is also my understanding that the information found within Wikipedia is not necessarily always accurate, but in the vast majority of cases is as accurate as any other printed encyclopedia. If you get a chance, give it a test drive.

F. Prefect
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move......Douglas Adams

IHT

a.paul sent me this link on GL Peases' website - it's about getting that "ghost" out of estate pipes with activated charcoal.
    http://www.glpease.com/Articles/Spot.html

"My own predilection for unflavored tobaccos is well known. To my tastes, once a pipe has been tainted with Chocolate Cherry Jubilee, Raspberry Delight, Vanilla Mango Swirl, or some such tobacco better suited to being sprinkled over ice cream than burned in a pipe, it is all but hopeless. The wood holds on to those flavors and aromas with a death grip that I have never been able to break, despite years of experimentation with a variety of methods, both conventional and unorthodox. Bowls have been filled with salt and alcohol, or packed with strong tobaccos and left to sit for weeks in a warm corner of the room. Even reaming the cake back to bare wood and swabbing with countless alcohol soaked pipe cleaners, while muttering arcane incantations under the full moon has never rewarded me with complete success."

IHT

it's a shame we don't see ScottM posting anymore.

Root

Quote Originally Posted by IHT View Post

ScottM did a heck of alot for us pipe smoking gorillas in helping build this forum.

Quote Originally Posted by IHT View Post
    Imissthatdamnrunoneverythingrguy.
    [SIZE="1"]For Rent[/SIZE]

Re: I've got the stuff now I want to smoke

Quote Originally Posted by Nooner View Post

Remember that because a pipe is a filter, it should be smoked only once a day. If you smoke three times a day you need three pipes. If you smoke it more than this, the moisture can build and spoil resulting bad aroma and flavor. If the pipe still smells bad, take some whiskey (around only for medicinal purposes of course) that is at least 80 proof and pour it into the bowl. Let it set for 10 minutes or so, dump out the liquid, and swab out with a paper towel. Then let it sit for 24 hours and it should taste better!
    Now I see where all the money goes. It goes down the pipes! So if you smoke in the morning and twice in the evening you would need 21 pipes to get you through a week. I never seen that big of a pipe stand.
    Luck is my middle name," said Rincewind, indistinctly. "Mind you, my first name is Bad."
    -- (Terry Pratchett, Interesting Times)

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish F. Prefect's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Syekick View Post
    Now I see where all the money goes. It goes down the pipes! So if you smoke in the morning and twice in the evening you would need 21 pipes to get you through a week. I never seen that big of a pipe stand.
    This is only my opinion, so take it for what it's worth. Sometimes I believe a few smokers may have gotten a little carried away when it comes to how often a pipe can be smoked as well as how it should be cleaned.

I probably own at least 25 pipes, but there are 3 or 4 that I may sometimes smoke 2 or 3 bowls in a 24 hr. period in any of them and don't notice any change what so ever in the taste or any increase in the amount of moisture. I do always clean every pipe thoroughly within 30 min after finishing a bowl and this, I'm sure, contributes to the ability of the pipes to deliver 2 - 3 quality smokes in a one day period. Once a month or so they will also get a more comprehensive cleaning with cleaning compounds made specifically for that purpose.

But the briar that goes into making a pipe does vary and I also have a small few that will begin to gurgle after only 1 bowl and need to be rested for a day or two before smoking them again.

There are a lot of variables that goes into how ofter a pipe can be smoked, and I would say the tobacco would be near the top of the list. But the real test comes from smoking the pipes and learning what "signs" to look for in each briar.

So I really doubt you're going to need near the number of pipes that you may seem to think. The only true test is in the smoking.

F. Prefect
    In the beginning the Universe was created. This has made a lot of people very angry and been widely regarded as a bad move......Douglas Adams

IHT

Quote Originally Posted by Syekick View Post
    Quote Originally Posted by Nooner
    Remember that because a pipe is a filter, it should be smoked only once a day. If you smoke three times a day you need three pipes.
    Now I see where all the money goes. It goes down the pipes! So if you smoke in the morning and twice in the evening you would need 21 pipes to get you through a week.
    incorrect. you must use "gorilla math".
    3 bowls in one day = 3 pipes (if all different tobacco types).
    letting them rest a day = once every 24 hours.

if you have 3 types of tobacco, you smoke 3 times a day, every day, that would be only a need for 3 (or 6) pipes for the entire week, depending on if you want to give each pipe 24 hours rest or 48.

Quote Originally Posted by syekick
    I never seen that big of a pipe stand.
    here's one that holds 20, plus tobaccos.

Page 5 of 11 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 LastLast