Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast

Whats safer, inhaling pipe tobacco or cigarettes?

This is a discussion on Whats safer, inhaling pipe tobacco or cigarettes? within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; I inhale my pipe tobacco. Today I ran out of pipe tobacco and ordered some pipe tobacco online, so I ...

Young Puffer Fish

Whats safer, inhaling pipe tobacco or cigarettes?

I inhale my pipe tobacco. Today I ran out of pipe tobacco and ordered some pipe tobacco online, so I won't get it for 3-5 days.

I went out and bought me a pack of Marlboro until my pipe tobacco gets to me.

I noticed the cigarettes smoke is different, kind of sticky and the smoke lingers with you more.

My question is, if Im going to continue to inhale, what is safer, should I continue my pipe smoking or should I switch to cigarettes if im going to be inhaling?

JPH

Re: Whats safer, inhaling pipe tobacco or cigarettes?

Do you use a filter in your pipe?

I'm not really sure it matters if you do or not actually...Cig's have all kinds of additives and junk....

Neither should be inhaled...but Cig's are probably worse IMHO... plus you might get addicted....since Cig's are way more addictive (physically).
    ~Jeremy ~
    [SIZE="4"]Go Browns[/SIZE]
    http://www.myspace.com/jeremy_jph

Don't worry so much, you'll be fine. Or, just buy a pack of Capt'n Black or something.
    "If it's not Scottish, it's CRAP!" - Stuart Rankin

Out for Much Needed Smoke PipesandGOP's Avatar

As a cigarette smoker who wouldn't mind quitting but knows how hard it is to, I wouldn't smoke the cigarettes unless you really don't mind getting hooked. To me the main thing is it's much harder to get addicted to niccotine by inhaling while smoking a pipe just because a pipe is not nearly as convient to smoke as a cigarette is. Not to mention I'd have to guess there's quite a bit less nicottine in pipe tobacco than there is in cigarette tobacco, not that it matters because you can become addicted either way. Oh and another big thing, smoking cigarettes is extremely expensive. With all that being said, I'd have to answer your question by saying stick with the pipe.

I'm sure you might hear like "oh well cigarettes have a filter on them" and all that but from what it looks like with illnesses possibly linked to smoking, the filter doesn't do a whole hell of a lot. Personally, I smoke Camel non-filtereds and the only difference I notice is filtered cigarettes give me a sore and scratchy throat. So I guess since you're really set on inhaling, go the pipe route since you probably won't keep the pipe with you 24/7 like you will eventually carry around a pack of cigarettes.
    Oppressors begin to tyrannize only when they acheive the installation and blackmailing of their own government officials, the facade of a free press (though privately owned), and an all too believing populace.- Mad Hatter
    Member of The Savage Nation

JAK
    Full grown Puffer Fish

They are both bad for you, IMHO, its silly to play the rationalization game of "which is worse"

Pipe Tobacco is 100% Tobacco, Cigarettes are appx. 70% tobacco and the rest well..........not.
    I think you should inhale neither, nut IMHO Cigarettes are worse.

Evolving Lead Puffer Fish smokinmojo's Avatar

I smoke cigs more than occasionally. (pack a week?) I don't want to sound like some anti with an agenda but....smoking kills! It will get all of us (no matter what we smoke) if we live long enough.

If you are a cig smoker already and aren't looking to quit, why not look into RYO. You can buy better tobacco and enjoy the process of having a smoke.

As for pipe tobacco, there are blends that will put a smoker on their but long before inhaling. (if you decide its the nic and not just having a smoke)

whether you make a choice or not....

Enjoy the ride

Don't smoke cigarettes! I don't want to be a downer, but my Dad died from smoking the damn things. Inhaling all that smoke WILL cause problems.

I AM NOT a fish!

None of the above!

Ann Coulter's Cabana Boy Corona Gigante's Avatar

Kind of like asking which is safer, jumping in front of a moving truck or off a bridge?
    "The best argument against democracy is a five minute conversation with the average voter."
    ~Winston Churchill

Elder Puffer Fish Leader Mad Hatter's Avatar

I agree with the general concensus: Your guess is as good as mine Whatever and however you smoke, enjoy!
    MOO spelled up-side-down and backwards is OOW

Young Puffer Fish

Thanks everyone for the good advice, I willl smoke the cigarettes until my pipe tobacco gets here. I do enjoy the pipe more. I smoke Virginia type tobacco in my pipe and I enjoy it more than the cigarettes.

Anyway, I enjoy smoking. Everyone says that smoking is unhealthy and you will die, well, Charlton Heston was a lifelong non-smoker and he died at 84, RIP. My point is that we all die. Charlton Heston was fighting alzheimer's during the las 6 years of his life. So at 78 or earlier, Heston's began to suffer alzheimer's.....and that is no way to live.

John Wayne is said to smoke 6 packs a day. He was a very heavy smoker and died at the age of 72.

My point is we all die... non-smokers may live longer.... but old age and sickness,diseases are inevitable for "both" smokers and non-smokers.

I don't think smoking in moderation is going to kill you any faster anyway. peace to all.

Young Puffer Fish

WOW! something that I want to add about cigarette smoking is that is disgusting.

Firstly, the smoke coming of the cigarette is a "blue violet" artificial looking smoke.... the way the smoke fumes from the cigarette is weird, it's like unnatural substance, it seems like they add so much crap into the cigarette...the smoke seems artificial and it tastes pharmateucal, like something doen in a lab.

The taste is sour and disgusting compared to the pipe tobacco I smoke.

I get no pleasure from cigarettes at all, I don't think I can smoke the entire pack, in fact, it's on its way to the trash. I can't wait until my pipe tobacco gets here. You really have to be addicted to smoke cigarettes because they are nasty.

Well, smoking can kill you, inhaled or not.

Drinking can kill you.

Coffee can kill you.

Pepsi can kill you.

Crossing the street can kill you.

No one lives for ever, choose your own path to the inevitable end, thats my 'sophy.

Last month I attended the funeral for a friend, a police officer, never drank, never smoked - he died from lung cancer. What killed him was his dedication, after 9/11 he was one of the first on the scene and stayed on ground zero as a rescuer throughout. Six years later, he is dead.

You can't go through life being afraid of the inevitable. Live it, enjoy it, or it is pointless.

RJ

[QUOTE=sfumato1002;1582450]Thanks everyone for the good advice, I willl smoke the cigarettes until my pipe tobacco gets here. I do enjoy the pipe more. I smoke Virginia type tobacco in my pipe and I enjoy it more than the cigarettes.

Anyway, I enjoy smoking. Everyone says that smoking is unhealthy and you will die, well, Charlton Heston was a lifelong non-smoker and he died at 84, RIP. My point is that we all die. Charlton Heston was fighting alzheimer's during the las 6 years of his life. So at 78 or earlier, Heston's began to suffer alzheimer's.....and that is no way to live.

John Wayne is said to smoke 6 packs a day. He was a very heavy smoker and died at the age of 72.

My point is we all die... non-smokers may live longer.... but old age and sickness,diseases are inevitable for "both" smokers and non-smokers.

I started smoking cigarettes in the early 60s, smoked a pipe and cigarettes in the early 70s and inhaled both.. Then in the 80s just smoked cigarettes again..Mid 80s quit smoking and chewed snuff, late 80s quit that..Mid 90s sarted smoking cigars and did not inhale,,now smoke pipe and cigars and do not inhale.. During most of that time I was an avid tennis player and jogger,,smoking never bothered me in respect to running and endurance in tennis.. I know I'm a freak but just maybe I'm a freak of nature..

Jerry in Minnesota.
    Proud Past Rider Of The Short Bus...

Page 1 of 2 1 2 LastLast