Puff Cigar Discussion Forums
MEMBER CIGAR REVIEWS | STAFF CIGAR REVIEWS | CIGAR VIDEOS | ONE ON ONE INTERVIEWS | CIGAR NEWS | CIGAR FORUMS | PIPES | LIFESTYLE | CONTACT

User Tag List

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast

FREE Pipe tobacco!!!!! WOOT!!!

This is a discussion on FREE Pipe tobacco!!!!! WOOT!!! within the General Pipe Forum forums, part of the Pipe Smokers Forums category; Originally Posted by dmkerr I received three samples, all of which offended my palate to one degree or another. I ...

Re: FREE Pipe tobacco!!!!! WOOT!!!

Quote Originally Posted by dmkerr View Post
    I received three samples, all of which offended my palate to one degree or another. I smoked 3 bowls of one blend and could not finish even 1 bowl of the other two.

Free doesn't mean good. It doesn't even mean "without cost". It took my tongue a few days to recover, and I don't call that "free".
    Something for me to look forward to.
    “While you smoke, rub the bowl occasionally along the side of your nose. Briar has an affinity for your natural oils.” -My cellar.-

I requested mine, I believe, in January but I haven't seen it yet. I'm new to pipes and I was really hoping to get a small amount to try out on St. Patrick's Day.

Leading Puffer Fish

Quote Originally Posted by Scardinoz View Post
    I requested mine, I believe, in January but I haven't seen it yet. I'm new to pipes and I was really hoping to get a small amount to try out on St. Patrick's Day.
    Last fall for me. Not gonna hold me breath. I figured it might be worth a shot though.

amnesiac with deja vu Nurse_Maduro's Avatar

I'm in the same boat as all of you...several months have passed, and I finally got the same 3 blends (wish I had signed up a few years back when they were sending 16(!) pouches! Dmkerr I'm curious: Which was the blend you liked the most?

For what it's worth, here's my reviews of each blend (copied from my reviews at Tobacco Reviews):

Fox & Hound:
    So...I receive this in a sampler pack (with two other tobaccos) from Altadis, and I immediately notice that this is the only one that isn't an aromatic. Naturally, this is the one that I fill my bowl with.

Out of the pouch, it smells sweet, with an undercurrent of wood smoke. Very pleasant. The tobacco is moist, but not so much that gurgling occurs while smoking. Lighting is easy, as is the first draw. And that's where it all goes south.

All I can taste is propylene glycol. It's absolutely overwhelming. And it's a damnable shame. This could be a terrific smoke, and I'm at a loss to understand how Altadis feels that more of this blend will sell over time with the horrible preservative flavor, then in a shorter amount of time without it.

I'm saddened and frustrated. I love Red Virginia, and I'm a solid fan of Perique and Burley. I'm even developing a taste for Latakia. This is a blend I so desperately want to try...if only I could actually taste it.

Altadis, I beg you: give us a 'companion' pouch without the preservative. These fine tobaccos, and your customers, deserve it. That, or replace the actual tobacco with much cheaper pencil shavings and sawdust and really increase your profit margin, as smokers will never be able to tell the difference. As it stands now, I'm marking Fox & Hound 'avoid at all costs.'

Blue Note:
    I received this and two other Altadis pouches as a sampler. I was expecting great things, as I am a fan of their cigars. What I *wasn't* expecting was that these are all drug store blends, with propylene glycol added. Nevertheless, I'm muddling through them (at least one bowl), and I have to admit: Blue Note surprised me, and still surprises me with each new bowl smoked.

This is the first time I have ever tasted a preservative that actually works *with* the blend. It's weird, but it somehow compliments the flavor, instead of overpowering it. If you've ever smoked a drug store blend before, you'll know that there is often an oiliness left behind in your mouth, along with a chemical taste. In Blue Note, the texture still remains, but the flavor doesn't. That's a very good thing.

It's a mild blend, and I have to admit that I'm perplexed by those reviewers who have experienced gummy residue left behind in the bowl. I've smoked about five bowls, and have yet to have anything left behind besides grey, clean ash. It smokes cool, with no bite or gurgle, and the cavendish really shines through.

I can't believe I'm waxing poetic about a drug store blend, but Blue Note is not only a good tobacco blend, it's actually a pretty great drug store blend. In today's economy, it's certainly worth a shot.

Wild Cherry:
    As I'd already reviewed, with mixed results, the other two pouches that came in my Altadis sampler pack (the others being Blue Note and Fox & Hound), I figured I'd bite the bullet and fill my bowl this morning with the one I was dreading the most: Wild Cherry. I was dreading it because I'm not a cherry fan (in fact, I pretty much hate it. I love cherries, but cherry flavoring tastes as much like real cherries as banana flavored candy tastes like real bananas. Think about it.), and also because the smell coming from the pouch was so strong it was actually a bit stomach-churning.

Filled it, lit it - surprise! Where's the cherry? Strange. The overwhelming medicinal odor coming from the raw 'baccy changes as it burns into a very mellow, fairly pleasant and *mild* cherry aroma. The taste has even less cherry in it. In fact, it has very little flavor at all.

Once again, Altadis has managed to create an aberration among drug store blends; in fact, even the preservative (which should be stomping all over this one) seems to be lacking. Oh, I know it's in there, I just can't taste it.

Wild Cherry isn't a horrible blend, but it's hard to recommend with no real flavor to the casing or tobacco.
    Last edited by Nurse_Maduro; 03-15-2010 at 06:18 PM.

After reading your reviews I couldn't care less whether they even show up.

They aren't just sending out the pouches. I also received a 50gr tin of Maple Street... Very good stuff!
    Dale

Let's see...mine should be here in another three years or so...

amnesiac with deja vu Nurse_Maduro's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by Scardinoz View Post
    After reading your reviews I couldn't care less whether they even show up.
    Nah, give 'em a chance. I'm really enjoying Blue Note, and there are people out there who like the other two.

Hey, they're free. If you don't like 'em after you've tried a bowl, then you're not out anything except a little time (and maybe some Scope)

pdx

Well I hope this is not it....but....
    Yesterday when i got home there was a package in the mail.....(I was waiting on a 4noggings.com order)

But this was an envelope....from a company Dream Castle...they sent me a sample of some Hookah pipe tobacco.....Banana! ick. Smells like Banana Runts

i think it was this free sample link....Jewels Molasses Tobacco FREE SAMPLE offer.
    I never signed up for it....but maybe they got my address from the other free sample request.

Anyhow....free is free I guess.

Has anyone ever seen this stuff....a little baggie w/ tobacco soaking in a brown molasses....

I bet that would cake up your new Mario Grandi....and leave a banana ghost!!!

Elder Puffer Fish Leader indigosmoke's Avatar

Quote Originally Posted by pdx View Post
    Well I hope this is not it....but....
    Yesterday when i got home there was a package in the mail.....(I was waiting on a 4noggings.com order)

But this was an envelope....from a company Dream Castle...they sent me a sample of some Hookah pipe tobacco.....Banana! ick. Smells like Banana Runts

i think it was this free sample link....Jewels Molasses Tobacco FREE SAMPLE offer.
    I never signed up for it....but maybe they got my address from the other free sample request.

Anyhow....free is free I guess.

Has anyone ever seen this stuff....a little baggie w/ tobacco soaking in a brown molasses....

I bet that would cake up your new Mario Grandi....and leave a banana ghost!!!
    Check out the Nargile 101 thread. Lots of very good info on these types of tobaccos.
    “The value of tobacco is best understood when it is the last you possess and there is no chance of getting more.” - Bismarck

Jewels is one of the worst moassels on the market, absolutely bottom of the barrel, even for candy flavored stuff.

I have some of their berry flavored stuff they sent me. Haven't even opened it yet. It smells like a freshly opened pack pf Kool-Aid.
    Dale

I got one of these the other day too. Orange, which is my least favorite artificial flavor of them all. Not even sure what I'll end up doing with this. I have been seriously thinking about going down the hookah road, but I don't think I'd like to start with this.

Incidentally, what makes this so terrible? I mean, does it taste bad, burn bad, gunk up a pipe, etc? What differentiates qualities in moassel?

Matt

P.S. Still haven't received the samples I requested in, wait, January? I don't even remember now when I submitted the request. I think it was early January though...

pdx

I tossed my sample out....
    didn't even want it in the house, or co-mingling w/ my other tobaccos.

although Banana Escudo sounds nice huh?

or Squadron-nana? perhaps.....

anyway maybe some day we'll see our pipe tobacco samples.....someday.

Quote Originally Posted by MattN View Post
    P.S. Still haven't received the samples I requested in, wait, January? I don't even remember now when I submitted the request. I think it was early January though...
    I submitted mine in early December (I think), and still nothing.

Page 10 of 15 FirstFirst 1 2 3 4 5 6 7 8 9 10 11 12 13 14 15 LastLast